Passport went through the washing machine

5 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

He will need longer than that, current processing time is about 6 weeks - BUT, only just improved from 11/13 weeks and it looks strikes in the UK might impact on time scales.

The fallback is an Emergency Travel Document from the British embassy  -  but I suspect that they will be in holiday for most of the rest of the year. Bangkok today would be my advice - although I also suspect that he will have no problem leaving the country with the damaged passport.

I am intrigued to see how the passport renewal (replacement) will pan out......if the OP leaves on the 3rd of January he will not be here to collect the new passport.

May be an image of text that says "British Embassy Bangkok WE ARE CLOSED 26-27 December 2022 Christmas and Boxing Day CONTACT US For urgent consular support +66 (0) 2 305 8333. UK in Thailand"

The ETD requires you to have proof of the journey home etc, flight bookings etc, and can only be used for the journey/s noted in the ETD. On arrival in UK it is kept by uk Imm'.

Memory tells me it was also not cheap.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, problemfarang said:

you wont have any problem. just carry the document saying your applied for the new passport also (if you have one)

if they can see the stamp and the first page clearly... no worries.

although i just cannot understand how a person can wash his passport, seriously. 

Done that.

13 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

So you arrived today, did your laundry today, ruined your passport today and applied for a new one today? Surely you're supposed to be on holiday? Who does laundry on day one <deleted>? You must have been on a very cheap flight with no baggage allowance...

<deleted>?  A rant over the guy's travel and laundry habits? And assumptions about the type of ticket class?  The guy has reached out for help, not stupid critical remarks.  Get off your high horse.  

• Like 1

We all look forward to the day when Thai immigration does not feel the need to fill up our passports with pages of in/out stamps, and just uses a computer like other countries.....

Singapore, Hong Kong, Macau, S Korea and even the primitive backwater of Australia? etc etc

6 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I suppose this thread is also a timely reminder NOT to carry your passport with you.

There is absolutely NO chance of my passport finding it's way to the laundry.

This is why i always carry my passport in a money belt pouch around my waist. If ever i take it out and need to show it to someone, it immediately returns to the pouch and the zipped up. Same with my atm and credit cards.  This way there is no chance of dropping it or forgetting it. When i am not wearing it goes it special place in my back pack.

I do carry a photo copy of my PP which is folded up in plastic zip lock baggie that goes in side of my money pouch that i carry around for day-to-day use.  That is, in case i get in accident or lose it or stopped by police.

As for the OP, Jan 3rd is really close. I would suggest you play dumb, go to the airport and fake it until you make it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

????..when did Christmas Day fall on the 26th?

Please read my post again and it may become clear.......................Christmas & Boxing day..........25th & 26th.  

Have a merry Christmas.............:thumbsup:

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Please read my post again and it may become clear.......................Christmas & Boxing day..........25th & 26th.  

Have a merry Christmas.............:thumbsup:

Same to you ????

It was actually a lead in to an old joke..........apparently there was a horse called Christmas Day who fell during a race on Boxing Day ????

• Haha 1

My maid from Surin hand washed my passport fortunately she removed all the cash from my pockets and went home never to be seen again. I had a replacement passport in a few days and married my caddie. She might have ensure the maid never returned.

Merry Christmas

• Haha 1

How the hell did the passport end up in the washing machine? You arrived in the country today on a 45 days exempt and the passport already made it to the washing machine lol

Wanna share the background story as to how this happened? Were you drunk or high or a disgruntled girl put it there as punishment? ????????????

Edited by bbi1

On 12/23/2022 at 1:02 AM, DFPhuket said:

I had a friend run his passport through the washing machine at my place when he was staying with me. The stamps were faded, but the data page was fine.

He had no difficulties leaving Thailand. I assume they could see his data on their computer and they told him he should replace the passport. He was returning to his home country and renewed his passport at home. It might have been a different story had he tried to leave Thailand and go to a third country. 

Interested to know your friend's background story on how this happened lol. Man, there are some not to bright individuals around ????????????

On 12/23/2022 at 11:03 AM, Yme said:

Had a similar problem many years ago.

Interested to know how this happened to you too lol

Edited by bbi1

On 12/23/2022 at 8:36 AM, Tropposurfer said:

I had a similar issue in around 2012 on a tourist visit.

Mine was short swim in a chlorine pool - NOT a washing machine prolonged exposed cycle to cleaning agents, and severe agitation in that solution like your was!

Why did you go swimming with your passport? ????????????

On 12/23/2022 at 12:20 PM, hotandsticky said:

I suppose this thread is also a timely reminder NOT to carry your passport with you.

There is absolutely NO chance of my passport finding it's way to the laundry.

Only the real smart cookies out there manage to put their passports into a laundry machine ????????

Seriously, how difficult is it to empty all your pockets once you arrive in your room? I do it every time.

Edited by bbi1

• 3 months later...
On 12/23/2022 at 5:49 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Embassy were helpful with Key information: As long as the ID page is clearly legible, particularly the photo then the passport is good to travel (to the UK) on. 

IF the ID page is not legible the British Embassy will provide an Emergency travel document (one way to the UK) after which a new passport can be obtained.

I have a somewhat similar issue now.  Our puppy dog got hold of my passport, which I stupidly left on the table.  Luckily the ID-page and pages with stamps are still pristine.  It is only part of the backcover and the last - not used - 12 pages that are damaged.  And it is glaringly obvious from the damage that it was indeed our dog that did the damage.

I was planning to fly to my home-country Belgium in 2 months.  And obviously I will apply for a new passport immediately on arrival there.  But I am still a bit worried - in spite of Richard_Smith237's re-assuring post (see quote) - that I might encounter difficulties when presenting that damaged passport to 1 - check-in on my flight to Belgium and 2 - to Thai border-immigration for being stamped out.

Of course I will tell them that I will immediately apply for a new passport on arrival in Belgium. 

Any advice on how to proceed to limit the risk of me encountering difficulties on exiting Thailand would be welcome.  Thanks!

51 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Any advice on how to proceed to limit the risk of me encountering difficulties on exiting Thailand would be welcome. 

Given that you are flying back to passport country and your boarding pass indicates your destination think no issue at departure.

Also no issue on arrival as you are Belgium citizen. 

If you had been asking about possibility of weekend trip to Saigon that would be a No.

You mention "limit the risk"

You could consider a trip to your immigration office for advice asap. 

After thought: Given that airline may also have a concern ....a trip to airport to check with airline and hopefully get to ask immigration at airport would give good peace of mind.

Aside: Some countries are playing games with "condition of passport" in recent times Bali being a shocker..

• Thanks 1

On 12/23/2022 at 12:39 PM, markclover said:

Apparently passports can survive a plane slamming into two towers and still be perfectly legible.  I don't think your washer machine will damage it.

My passport survived being slammed into the twin dryers after a rinse and spin cycle.