Next Thai election: Gloves off for wealthy "Rat" vs "Power Grabber" - it's Anutin vs Prayut

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

Deputy prime minister and health supremo Anutin Charnvirakul said he welcomed the news that PM Prayut Chan-ocha had thrown his hat into the ring as a candidate for the next Thai election.

He tried to play down any personal aspect to the fight calling it "just politics".

He said the people would decide who was best for the job.

Siam Rath referred to Anutin by his "Sia Noo" nickname - that's like a wealthy businessman called "rat".

Anutin is a multi-billionaire.

Prayut was referred to by his nickname of "Big Too" - "too" means grabbing by force.

Prayut seized power in 2014 in a coup when he was a general. 

Anutin was in Nakhon Phanom where he declared that trials of Thai made Covid vaccine were going well.

So who would you vote for if you had the chance?

Anutin or more of Prayut?

Or is there someone better suited for the job?

The election is expected next year. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-12-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

3 hours ago, Denim said:

And then the courts and military can make any ' adjustments ' they deem necessary.

In fact the terms rat and power grabber could equally fit  both of them . 

You left out the most important and influential factor regarding adjustments. 

Been of this nature for ages.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

"He said the people would decide who was best for the job"

No they won't unless both actually contest the election, which they won't because they wouldn't get enough votes to win a seat in the parliament. So the decision will be made by whoever sides with the appointed senate, as they will have the majority.

And we all know who "appointed" the 250 senators!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Deputy prime minister and health supremo Anutin Charnvirakul said he welcomed the news that PM Prayut Chan-ocha had thrown his hat into the ring as a candidate for the next Thai election.

I'm sure he is happy, only a select few would be stupid enough to vote Prayut to stay in power after 8 years of nothing.

With Anutin the next biggest challenger this must help his cause.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

So who would you vote for if you had the chance?

Definitely not for anybody in the family or near to the fugitive criminal. We don't want that history repeats itself.

Who would I vote for: I don't know yet, and the election is still far away.

prawit is the sole candidate from palang pracharat.

For some 1.5 years he is preparing alliance with pheu thai.

Prayuth has just left the PP with some very few supporters. He should do so much earlier, after being stabbed at censure debate in september 2021 by prawit's protege - thammanat flour minister.

Anutin with bhumjaithai is likely to join prawit/pheu thai. He just got himself some 40 defectors from the democrat party (that including former MP's), but still small chance how many of them they will be able to get to parliament.

Elections very likely will be delayed by months, so maybe now middle of the year or later, with a wave of mass media and state propaganda nationalistic frenzy shaping opinions towards establishment parties - but how successful can it be with younger generation voters?

Pheu thai has cancelled planned rallies to the end of this year, postponed them indefinitely, without giving new dates. Some other parties will follow that trend.

Move forward might do well in bangkok and around, in large cities, but they will be crippled by article 116 sedition and all the rest thrown at them at random. Likely just after an election, aimed at those doing the best at ballot box. Similar fashion to the last time

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 2

On 12/24/2022 at 10:57 AM, 2baht said:

I think the rich guy will always win!

Good point, but is it not the guy with all the soldiers, guns and tanks who will always win? That has been the case for the last 8 years.

Is there really going to be a general election getting held next year, I mean an election where all the eligible Thai people get to vote and not just the 200+ generals?

Going slightly off topic, does anyone like me, think that if there was a properly elected PM backed by real politicians, that the Baht would eventually go up to over 50 to the British pound the way it was in 2014?

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Definitely not for anybody in the family or near to the fugitive criminal. We don't want that history repeats itself.

Who would I vote for: I don't know yet, and the election is still far away.

I think the most important thing is to get the present unelected PM and anyone with anything to do with the military as far away from parliament as possible.