Chonburi governor and team repaints zebra crossings in Pattaya to prevent accidents during upcoming New Year holiday

webfact

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Is that their idea of a joke?

It'll only make pedestrians more at risk if they don't know that drivers don't stop for pedestrians on crossings.

The only time crossings worked in Pattaya to my knowledge was the time a cop went out and stopped the traffic for me to cross.

Even the traffic lights didn't work ( long ago now ), which is probably why they turned them off.

I seriously ended up jumping up and down waving my arms and yelling on a crossing on 3rd, much to the amusement of the locals. Myself and a disabled falang and his Thai lady were trying to get across with the lights in our favour. 

• Like 1

Ummm. Aren’t Zebra crossings supposed to be Black and white? And what is that green area with some kind of writing on it before them? Please inform the public. Not that it matters what color if it’s not enforced severely. 

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I seriously ended up jumping up and down waving my arms and yelling on a crossing on 3rd, much to the amusement of the locals. Myself and a disabled falang and his Thai lady were trying to get across with the lights in our favour. 

Same here on 3rd Road the other day, some cars stop some don’t same as motorbikes, one problem is the lights are situated above the drivers eye line at high level.

Thee are 2 outside Arunotai school no lights though, the teachers take their lives in their hands when the school opens in the morning and afternoon stopping the traffic to allow the kids to cross, some just ignore the teachers and drive on.

Edited by Jumbo1968

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I am glad I am not the only one who does this !  (My Thai lady gets very embarrassed and just tells me that Thai people will take no notice).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

Not Pattaya, we're further south, Chanthaburi province.

The two schools in our town have two policemen each for mornings and afternoons, assisted by teachers on each side of the road plus one on the median strip, efforts to get schoolchildren safely across the marked pedestrian crossings. 

Yet still motorbikes 'take the gap' and race through between schoolkids. 

My solution of a sniper further along the road is apparently not acceptable. 

The spikes they use to stop fleeing vehicles, placed each side of the crossing could work though. 

Same here bikes ignore the policeman and teachers, sniper to take out their tyres.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The governor of Chonburi kick-started a project to repaint zebra crossings in Chonburi in an effort to prevent road accidents

should be a warning in very big letters - DO NOT EXPECT TRAFFIC TO STOP ............ THEY DON'T

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JayBird said:

This makes things more dangerous as the pedestrian may assume a level of safety without realizing that traffic pays zero attention to crossings.

Yep, literal death-traps to tourists accustomed to using zebra crossings safely in their own countries.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Same here on 3rd Road the other day, some cars stop some don’t same as motorbikes, one problem is the lights are situated above the drivers eye line at high level.

Thee are 2 outside Arunotai school no lights though, the teachers take their lives in their hands when the school opens in the morning and afternoon stopping the traffic to allow the kids to cross, some just ignore the teachers and drive on.

I found it was mostly bikes giving me the problem, and they were fast moving so I felt vulnerable....Arunothai is usually slow moving...ignorant people.