Stupid me! I lent a lot of money to a Thai woman.

gingerandtabby

Never lend what you can't afford to lose or give That's THE golden rule. 

Mentioning nationalities etc. are useless !

Contacting lawyers on incidents such as these... sad to say,  you’ll lose more!

Friends + money = disaster. 

Few years ago my father lent 2m baht to a Thai lady who's was going through a divorce from a Swedish man and she needed the money to buy him our of their house in Hua Hin.

He did have some paper saying that she would pay him back and that in the event of the house being sold and was reportedly signed by a law / accounting firm, however upon looking into it no one at the firm had any idea of it.

Unfortunately he had a heart attack a year later whilst coincidentally with the lady in question, i since have followed it up but got no where and in the end gave up as there was nothing i could do, he ended up in ICU in Hua Hin which cost another 3.5m Baht.

He was also building a house near Banyan golf course and unfortunately that was in her name also.

Great memories of that little lot. Lawyers / property agents all in on it ????

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here in Pattaya "borrowing" baht is rampant among the bargirls. The most common tactic is for a lady to borrow from everyone before going home to Isaan. Generally, they ask for a few hundred baht.

Another tactic is to use a photo of a relative in the hospital as a reason for borrowing money. Or a death in the family.

Of course, for ladies with families in Isaan, deaths in the family are common.

• 3 weeks later...

Outside of farang countries, a loan is often a euphemism for a gift.

Always expect a loan to be something that you might not get back and are comfortable with losing forever. It should always be surplus money that you don't know what to do with. Otherwise, don't bother lending.

• Thumbs Up 2

No. Its not stupidity!

I call it the nature's way  - a very smart method of keeping the species from been extinct!

Just see how a man's behaviour change in the presence of a female  - it's an international phenomenon!

7 minutes ago, ravip said:

...surplus money that you don't know what to do with!!

WOW! Would love to meet someone like  that!

Isn't that why many Westerners have mutual funds, stocks, bonds, crypto, and all kinds of funny things that ordinary working-class Thais have never even heard of?

Because let's face it, some farangs do have more money than they know what to do with!

• Haha 1

I am getting a lot of requests from ladies to loan them 300 baht.

I guess someone posted on Facebook that 300 baht is the ideal "ask", no one will much care if they lose 300 baht to a bargirl, but the bargirl can buy gold if they gets enough positive hits from her 3000 Facebook friends.

Edited by Danderman123
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...
On 1/2/2023 at 5:57 PM, ed strong said:

Few years ago my father lent 2m baht to a Thai lady who's was going through a divorce from a Swedish man and she needed the money to buy him our of their house in Hua Hin.

He did have some paper saying that she would pay him back and that in the event of the house being sold and was reportedly signed by a law / accounting firm, however upon looking into it no one at the firm had any idea of it.

Unfortunately he had a heart attack a year later whilst coincidentally with the lady in question, i since have followed it up but got no where and in the end gave up as there was nothing i could do, he ended up in ICU in Hua Hin which cost another 3.5m Baht.

He was also building a house near Banyan golf course and unfortunately that was in her name also.

Great memories of that little lot. Lawyers / property agents all in on it ????

No doubt. Farang beware. No wonder the Pattaya Flying Club is so popular

On 1/2/2023 at 5:28 PM, zzaa09 said:

Get on a lot easier if one considers these transactions as gifts instead of the proverbial and enacted loans.

Doesn't work that way here.

I had a bargirl pitch me for 6000 baht last night. Apparently, she forgot that just 2 days ago, she had asked me about what time Western Union opened.

• Love It 1

There are 2 major pitches I get:

a bargirl needs money urgently, for some unforeseen crisis. She just needs money, no idea how she will pay it back.

or

a bargirl is blowing the bolts and going home to Isaan. So she borrows money from everyone, even 100 baht loans work for her, since she thinks she is never coming back.

Of course, there are variations on this: some ladies are so into drugs, they can only think of the money they need right now.

Edited by Danderman123

At least you have the ticker to come on here and confess! 

A thousand more are cringing behind their keyboards today, they can't admit the loss, it hurts enough without public ridicule.

Many of us are hoping the "investments" we have already made, don't end in tears. 

There are good Thai people out there, millions of them. Or the bad un's would never make the news.

A lot hangs on the background of the beneficiary. 

Bars can be extremely nasty places, filled with industrial grade farang scumbags as well as lost souls in skirts.

And hurt people, hurt people. 

I had a Thai lady try the Escalator Scam on me recently.

The first step is to borrow a small amount, and to promptly pay it back.

Then, ask to borrow a large amount, and then pay it back.

Shampoo, rinse, repeat, each time with larger loan amounts.

When the target amount is borrowed, time to disappear.

On 12/30/2022 at 11:44 AM, Mahseer said:

Write it off and get on with the rest of your life. She has.

And make the well known realization / stay with the fact that borrow money means 'give me money' with no strings attached, never to be repaid because it's not a loan it's actually a gift.

Borrow has at least two different interpreatations:

- Borrow with a written signed plan to repay the money and intent to pay the money back.

- A gift, replayment not part of the situation in any way. (But the word 'borrow' used.)

Different example: My (naive) Thai son started uni, found a couple of 'good' friends.

Didn't take long for a 'good friend' to ask my son to loan him money (from memory 10,000Baht). (Also in the overall picture the good friend had noticed my sons family name was a typical western family name and 'unlimited funds had been mentioned by the good friend and others.)

No repayments. Perhaps 2 years later son asked good friend 'when are you going return the money you borrowed'.

Response from good friend. 'If you're going to ask for repayment you're not a nice friend'. Good friend never ever spoke to my son again.

Edited by scorecard

25 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I had a Thai lady try the Escalator Scam on me recently.

The first step is to borrow a small amount, and to promptly pay it back.

Then, ask to borrow a large amount, and then pay it back.

Shampoo, rinse, repeat, each time with larger loan amounts.

When the target amount is borrowed, time to disapper

How do you know that she tried this scam on you? The only scenario I can think of for you to be sure that this scam was if she succeed.

In all other potential scenarios that I can see she simply borrowed money from you and always paid you back...

Edited by JayClay