Retirement Visa Query

Once my non-O retirement visa and multiple entry permit is established, how many months a year can I spend outside Thailand and still maintain the visa or extension as the case may be ?

The reason for the question is that I want to spend about half the year in Thailand, but the other half in neighbouring Asian countries travelling.  The sIx months or so in Thailand would not necessarily be in one block.  

My thinking is that if I try to do this with tourist visas I have an annual time in country limit to adhere to. I am happy to comply with all aspects of the retirement visa including the 800k in a Thai bank.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Thaifly88 said:

My thinking is that if I try to do this with tourist visas I have an annual time in country limit to adhere to. I am happy to comply with all aspects of the retirement visa including the 800k in a Thai bank

As Jingthing correctly points out you do not need to be in Thailand for any length of time, however in order to renew your extension you would need to be in Thailand at the time prior to expiry.

Your plan with both extensions to a non O retirement OR using tourist visas and visa exempt entries for about 6+ scattered months in Thailand and balance of time in other countries will work fine.

If money is no issue and keeping funds in Thai bank account all year not a problem then the extension to non O with reentry permit allows you easy access to Thailand throughout the year. 

With the reentry permit you have zero issues with airlines. 

FWIW, I would like the luxury of having a 12 month permit and be able to nick off to anywhere anytime.

Like your plan. 

• Like 2

Just now, DrJack54 said:

What does a lease have to do with anything. 

You  need it to renew yur next 1 year extension, as I indicated. You might be able to get a hotel to provide the necessary documents, but I've never done that. Owning a condo would be another route.

4 minutes ago, gargamon said:

You  need it to renew yur next 1 year extension, as I indicated. You might be able to get a hotel to provide the necessary documents, but I've never done that. Owning a condo would be another route.

All he would require is a new TM30 (change of address)  if he has new address at the time to apply for extension. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

All he would require is a new TM30 (change of address)  if he has new address at the time to apply for extension. 

Please note item D in the following.

Documents Required for Retirement Visa Extension of Stay

A – Application For VISA form TM 7

B – One Passport Size Photo

C – Copy of your  Passport (every page)  Sign every page

D – Evidence of your address (rental agreement or Baan book)

E – Copy of  Bank statement.    Deposit verification letter from your bank (if already here) stating the balance of your savings account (800,000 Baht). Normal cost about 100 to 200 baht.  This letter must not be older than 7 days.
OR
A Notarized Affidavit of Income from your Embassy,  with a monthly salary of no less than 65,000 Baht (US cost  ($50)  US Form download form.  This form can not be older than 6 months
OR
Combination of Bank Account and Income over 12 months = 800,000 Baht
OR
If you are married to a Thai National you need an Income Certificate with a monthly salary of no less than 40,000 Baht.  A Thai Bank account showing a reasonable amount is also required.

If you are applying using 800,000 Baht+ to meet financial resources:

a. Subsequent (renewal) Application – Needs to show funds have been on deposit for at least 3 months before applying.

F – Copy of every page of your bank saving book for the past year (Sign every Page)  Some Immigration Offices may only require pages for 6 months

----

From https://chiangmaibuddy.com/how-to-get-a-retirement-visa-in-thailand/

20 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Indeed YOU have never done that.

Plenty have. 

It's called a TM30. 

A tm30 is used to show where you stayed. It is one of many documents required on proof of residence, which vary of course depending on whether you own or rent. Maybe your local IO accepts only a tm30, but none I have used do.

16 minutes ago, gargamon said:

A tm30 is used to show where you stayed. It is one of many documents required on proof of residence, which vary of course depending on whether you own or rent. Maybe your local IO accepts only a tm30, but none I have used do.

CW Div 1 have been accepting my TM30 receipt for 4 years now

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, norbra said:

Added tip for next year.

My most recent extension CW last November at doc check (I had appointment) they insisted on my TM47 report receipt. 

That had never occured previously.

Seemed uninterested in my lease.

Also I did not provide a TM30. 

Perhaps take your 90 report receipt for your next extension. 

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Added tip for next year.

My most recent extension CW last November at doc check (I had appointment) they insisted on my TM47 report receipt. 

That had never occured previously.

Seemed uninterested in my lease.

Also I did not provide a TM30. 

Perhaps take your 90 report receipt for your next extension. 

Always provided TM47 copy no need for hassles. But my last visit IO copied a Loa visa from 6 years ago.

That's the only difference from all I have presented in the past

Edited by norbra

1 minute ago, Thaifly88 said:

good point - so, just staying in hotels won't cut it ?

Depends on the hotel and IO. Ask the IO you are/will be using what they need from a hotel. All the stuff I've seen has info requirements for renters, personal owners, and ownership by a business.

2 hours ago, norbra said:

I've done 7 retirement extensions at CW and was never asked for proof of residence, TM-30, or 90 day report, though I always brought them along in case they were requested. 

3 hours ago, gargamon said:

Maybe your local IO accepts only a tm30, but none I have used do.

Bangkok has not asked for anything other than map to residence and recently TM30 receipt and have been on extensions for about 20 years.

10 minutes ago, SmokeandIce said:

Many immigration offices want to see a lease to grant a one year extensi n

Lease is an option 

You state "many immigration offices" 

Which office do you deal with that lease was the only option. 

Edited by DrJack54

16 minutes ago, SmokeandIce said:

Many immigration offices want to see a lease to grant a one year extensi n

Extensions office is specific to location - so it is a method to verify your location and right to use that immigration office.

6 minutes ago, Shop mak said:

Jomtien required a copy of lease agreement when I applied for a new retirement NON-O extension, recently  (same condo as before)

Obviously many of us with Thai family have never had a lease agreement, or those owning condos and such, so do not believe it is required if you can show other proof of residence.  Suspect it is more of a 'first ask' document.

13 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Do you have to do the 90 day if you are out of country

90 day report applies to 90 consecutive days staying in Thailand.

If you exit 90 report is not required and your 90 day clock starts again when you re-enter Thailand. 

• Thanks 1