Cabinet approves tourist fee of 150-300 baht for all foreign tourists

snoop1130

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Added on to the air ticket price, why should it be an issue at Suvarnabhumi?

But not included for those on a Work Permit nor for Thais.... difficult for the carriers. Too early to be sure.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I guess you don't live in Pattaya, Hua Hin, or Phuket -  many tourists. 

Not all are alcoholics wanting to drink at 7 am.

Well simply put, will a measly 300b coerce travelers to go elsewhere? I think not. It's about 10 measly bucks for goodness sake. Like pi**ing in a huge bucket - you wouldn't even notice it.

Edited by Bangkocker
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bangkocker said:

Well simply put, will a measly 300b coerce travelers to go elsewhere? I think not. It's about 10 measly bucks for goodness sake. Like pi**ing in a huge bucket - you wouldn't even notice it.

We’re is your line between measly & too much ? $100 (dollar) ??

The irritation with such policies is not the amount but the message, the tone levied towards tourist by greedy officials…

We want your money & don’t care about anything else… 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Extra queues on arrival anyone ?

At times it was already bad enough with long immigration queues & thr BS response that they were processing a person every 45 second (erm….)… 

Now there will be extra queues with ppl who don’t have baht..  don’t have the right change….,  welcome to sone additional extra waiting, queuing & hassle at the airport….   Welcome tourists !!! 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Maybe we should charge an 'occupancy charge' like the USA. 17% hotel tax for Thai  tourists in Houston! 

How about we charge Germans a culture tax of $5 a day!

Spaniards $4.50 a DAY! 

Dutch $9 a day! 

Malaysians $2.50 a day! 

US States, counties and cities may individually charge a hotel occupancy tax. Texas state charges 6% that may be in addition to local county and city taxes (maybe how you got 17%). The hotel occupancy tax is directed towards short hotel stays. In Texas a guest who occupies a hotel room for 30 or more consecutive days with no payment interruption is considered a permanent resident and exempt from the hotel tax.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not mentioned as exempt from the occupancy hotel tax are foreigners returning to Thailand under re-entry permit? They are not tourists. In particular would one returning to Thailand who has a Long Term Resident visa with automatic re-entry have to pay?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

But Thais will pay the same for everything no double standards there instead here in Thailand 

My daughter is Thai and pays a lot more for university fees than brits. Actually, she's British too, but double standards. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

Neeranam If you are not informed don's say anything.. Everybody who stays in Thailand more than 180 days has to pay taxes.. so also retirees......Not only who has  a workpermit... and I know it for sure as I just paid my taxes last week... 

Are you applying to be a moderator otr something? 

I know many pensioners here and they don't pay tax here. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Not mentioned as exempt from the occupancy hotel tax are foreigners returning to Thailand under re-entry permit? They are not tourists. In particular would one returning to Thailand who has a Long Term Resident visa with automatic re-entry have to pay?

Long Term Resident Visa's soon to be rebadged as Long Term Holiday Maker Visa. to accommodate the new charge. ????

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

The reason I asked is because I'm sure that country makes it harder for Thais retiring there than Thailand makes it for foreigners retiring here. 

Foreign retirees don't pay tax here, those with WP do. 

Errr, foreign retirees do pay tax here, on income and investment earnings, I certainly do.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bangkocker said:

They started off low. There is ample room to increase it year on year.

And it's a little bit here, a little bit there as new ideas in govt how to extract more from the public. It all adds up to a lot.

Edited by userabcd
  • Thumbs Up 1

I landed at BKK today and the immigration queue was stretching down the arrival hall. It did move fairly quickly, but it took nearly an hour.

There is no doubt that whatever process they come up with is going to increase the processing time since it's clear to everyone who flies that the 300 baht can't be made part of the ticket (since it varies by work permit/passport). It will have to be paid or checked at arrival. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, kotsak said:

Yes, sod anyone who stays here because they have a family (which they support) or being retired (and spending their pensions here).. 

Well said .1 home wife 2 kids + + everything else if I go out of Thailand for any reason I must pay to get back ..I live here permanent not a tourists just a farang putting money into the coffers of the Thais ..Grab Grab can't help themselves can they .. just sayin H

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

so now we have departure charge and entry charge, a decade or two ago we have to pay 500baht departure charge at a booth/vendor machine, they implemented into our plane ticket, i presume its still is, so now they have entry charge.

40 minutes ago, DFPhuket said:

I landed at BKK today and the immigration queue was stretching down the arrival hall. It did move fairly quickly, but it took nearly an hour.

There is no doubt that whatever process they come up with is going to increase the processing time since it's clear to everyone who flies that the 300 baht can't be made part of the ticket (since it varies by work permit/passport). It will have to be paid or checked at arrival. 

They should include it on the ticket and then have a refund scheme for those who have exemption. Many won't bother getting the refund for sure. But no way collect on arrival.

3 minutes ago, vinci said:

so now we have departure charge and entry charge, a decade or two ago we have to pay 500baht departure charge at a booth/vendor machine, they implemented into our plane ticket, i presume its still is, so now they have entry charge.

There should be a daily staying charge also. Perhaps a daily fee to avoid all double charging and scams and be treated the same as locals, proof of payment would let you into a national park at the standard rate. They could issue badges or hats that say, "fee paid", just so everyone would know.