Chiang Mai’s red “Songthaew” transformation, a new generation of drivers

webfact

image.png

The red Songthaew minibuses in Chiang Mai have been an iconic form of transport for several decades, for both tourists and locals alike who do not have cars or motorcycles.

The buses, which are in fact pickup trucks fitted with two rows of seating facing each other, normally operate on fixed routes. Of late, however, some of them have undergone a transformation, to meet the changing environment and tastes of tourists, thanks to the creative thinking of a new generation of drivers, among them Phuthavat Singkha, a 29-year-old graduate in Communications Art.

In an interview with Thai PBS, Phuthavat said that he has worked as a Songthaew driver for the six years since he graduated, thanks to inheriting the vehicle from his father.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/chiang-mais-red-songthaew-transformation-a-new-generation-of-drivers/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-02-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jippytum said:

The price per journey however short is 30 baht three times the cost of a similar trip for example in Pattaya

I use the songteaws several times a week, typically going from the Huay Gaew area to the river.  With the cost being less than 90 cents, I'm not complaining.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, jippytum said:

30 baht three times the cost of a similar trip for example in Pattaya

So what! Still inexpensive compared to taxi prices. On a recent visit to Chiang Mai, the passengers (including myself) paid only 20 baht - one green note and no hanging around for change!!

From my experience the "Songthaews" in CM are not as good as the ones in Bangkok or Pattaya.

The roof of the trucks in CM is too low and passengers cannot see out so do not know where they are or where the have been. Not much use for tourists.

• Thumbs Up 1