1.5 million Thai youths are suffering from depression, numbers rising

snoop1130

Thai-PBS-World-logo-2023-02-23T133037.664.png

About 1.5 million Thai youths, aged over 15, suffered from depression in 2021 and the number of depression and psychological disorder cases in Thailand is increasing by 1-2% each year, according to Dr. Apichat Jariyavilas, spokesman for the Department of Mental Health.

While depression in the United States and Europe affects about 10% of the population, he said that the rate in Thailand ranges from 1-2%, adding, however, that the rate is increasing, as witnessed by the rising number of patients seeking medical counselling or treatment.

Dr. Apichat noted that depression or psychological disorders may be rising because, previously, those who suffered from these disorders did not know and did not seek medical counselling or treatment. Today, however, more people go to see doctors when they feel that they might have a psychological problem.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/1-5-million-thai-youths-are-suffering-from-depression-numbers-rising/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-02-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

3 hours ago, Tarteso said:

This explain why the rate is 1-2%… Obviously

The whole things makes little sense.

3 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

While depression in the United States and Europe affects about 10% of the population, he said that the rate in Thailand ranges from 1-2%, adding, however, that the rate is increasing, as witnessed by the rising number of patients seeking medical counselling or treatment.

The rate of diagnosed cases is increasing.  The higher number of pateints could simply be because they are becoming more aware of it, there are more places to go for help, or stigma has reduced.

It’s more than that here. Stigma and resources, or lack thereof, have dampened numbers. Yes today’s gen may be a bit wet behind the ears, but it’s all a sign of the times and perceived tougher past generations would be different today. Depression has been there throughout human history (the brain is a crazy b*tch)… and tougher in the modern world with all the societal tat, esp if your country is run by a pack of self serving soldiers and face is everything. 

11 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Did you have any idea what your government did for you when you were a teenager?  Do most teenagers follow politics?

It's much more likely to be related to something like social media or smartphone addiction.

Is the rate different from that in other equivalent countries?

IMO depression is far more widespread than officially acknowledged.

Where I live psychological services are a rarity for many/ most of the less well off as it has been an underfunded branch of health for many years, and the cops are left to try and pick up the pieces.

I assume the same applies in LOS.

Private counseling is of course far too expensive for most of us unfortunate peasants.

13 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I am not surprised that many young people are depressed. Tell me again, what does this government do for them?

What do Western governments do for the hundreds of thousands of homeless youth?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

What is their future really?  What real education have they gotten to prepare for adulthood and type of quality job opportunities will be available?

Could ask the same question of any country that has a high rate of school dropouts.

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiled as children and expect everyone and the world to give them it all on a plate.

To much time on electronic devices that dumb's down creativity, higher order thinking skills and the ability to think for themselves.

Also a lack of planning skills (but this could be said of adult Thais).

Not been given enough opportunities to make mistakes and more importantly learn from them.

Don't exercise enough. This should be a daily habit.

Eat rubbish, fat and sugar filled food.

The X factor culture as I call it. They all want to be singers, movie stars and models. So if it doesn't happen they don't have a plan B.

Lack verbal and now written communication skills.

Can barely sit still or think for a few minutes without needing artificial stimulation from a phone or game.

I know this does not apply to everyone and there are always some good kids who have some 'gumption and drive ' about them.

What I find that these traits/things above also apply to different social classes and not just the rich or less affluent.

All or a combination of these things leads to depression IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

This is not surprising considering the unfairness of Thai society, especially towards the young, and a general lack of opportunity for most who have little to look forward to. Once the dinosaurs are extinct, there will be much change in a short amount of time here... maybe another 10-15 years, as I can't see these university kids that are graduating now standing for it once they move up the ladder.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, giddyup said:

What do Western governments do for the hundreds of thousands of homeless youth?

Put them up in hotels, give them benefits and medical treatment? (Foreigners only of course).

Edited by jacko45k
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Spoiled as children

I'm talking about Thailand.   These Thai kids are not "spoiled" like the farang.  Not even close.  Not even 1/10th.

Yes, I was spoiled and it did "ruin" me to an extent.   But it is nice to get what you want for Xmas as a kid.   lol.    and your birthday.    Go yell at my parents (deceased) who spent money on their kids!!!!  Why did you buy your kids nice things!!!!!?????    lol .    I'll send you a BMW or a broken bicycle....which one do you want for FREE?   exactly.

Back to Thai kids...............depression is a very big problem.   It's hard for kids to get an identity in this environment.  Hard to find good role models.  Hard to find a good peer group.  Hard to get good at something.  Hard to afford a passion.  Hard to find a good education.   This is only possible if their family is solid.   

As a former teacher, I know how bad the school system is.   Failure of the kids, while they "pass" with failing grades.   This helps nobody.   Rooms are horrible, food average, books are bad, buildings are garbage, facilities are horrible, etc......  

Thai kids deserve better. 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 5:08 PM, Tarteso said:

This explain why the rate is 1-2%… Obviously

Thailand start having western life syndroms by more wealth supported by lifestyle and social media. 

Was it as much depression in the old days as it is now in this area where everything have to be so perfect and we have time to focus on it? 

Best solution for depression is work, eat sleep, repeat with occasionally holidays to relax

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BananaStrong said:

I'm talking about Thailand.   These Thai kids are not "spoiled" like the farang.  Not even close.  Not even 1/10th

The first apologist.  We differ in opinion. Yes they are spoiled.

Are western children spoilt too. Yes but this article is about Thai Youths.

Back to Thai kids...............depression is a very big problem

Yes it is for the reasons I mentioned.

Thai kids deserve better.

I agree with you on this one.

Life can be quite hard. We're going through a period where in fact real opportunity is much lower than in the previous 60 years and everything is going to be about minimizing and downsizing- that's extremely painful for most.  However, expectations amplified by social media are sky high. I'm afraid for many, perhaps even a big majority, it's back to a 1930's lifestyle and that's hard to take, especially when the wealthy appear to be getting even wealthier. On paper, the solution is easy but ultimately won't happen.

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

Life can be quite hard. We're going through a period where in fact real opportunity is much lower than in the previous 60 years and everything is going to be about minimizing and downsizing- that's extremely painful for most.  However, expectations amplified by social media are sky high. I'm afraid for many, perhaps even a big majority, it's back to a 1930's lifestyle and that's hard to take, especially when the wealthy appear to be getting even wealthier. On paper, the solution is easy but ultimately won't happen.

Hard life is not a depression stimulant, unless you had it all from the beginning. Depression stimulant is when you have no duty, no obligation and no one requires anything from you! 

A life without purpose and meaning, is no life, while fighting for your existence, give life a purpose and meaning. 

Life was easier when there was few television channels and no social media.

Kids are not enforced to go to work even they can, because the work seems meaningless and underpayed, and they do not see the possibilities as a good start to something better. There is no more stimulation to do earnest work when they expect short cuts

Edited by Hummin
  • Thanks 1

All of the Thai people I know in the USA are happy to be out of Thailand - at least for now in their moneymaking days. Over time, they lose more interest in returning every year. Just an observation. Some tell of lack of opportunity (or put the other way around, lots of opportunity and less discrimination in the USA).

When a street vendor found out I was American, and this was several years ago, she asked, "how do I get to America?" Obviously, she knew there was far more opportunity and money outside of Thailand. At least for the majority of people.

People want opportunity and make a living.

Edited by Bohemianfish
added info
  • Like 1