Controversy over Lisa’s tattoos shows misogynistic, outdated mindset

webfact

1 hour ago, proton said:

Ever seen a middle aged or old lady with attractive tattoos? me neither. They are best for sailors, criminals, prostitutes and idiots. No women looks better with tattoos even when young. Luckily Lisa is rich enough to get them expertly removed later. 

I was expecting that your post will create an uproar with all those tattoos lovers and supporters with a torrent of abuse alas, the day is not out yet.

Edited by ezzra
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I think that  what you say is correct. They are a fashion fad.

When I was growing up in London, tattoos were much less common.  Gradually they  became more popular on men, then women. Nowadays they are everywhere. Almost a rite of passage with the young backpacker crowd.

I think eventually things will go the other way, and being tat free will be the cool thing for a while.

Beards as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Some people just can't handle anything that's out of their comfort zone. Tattoos are another one folks thing derogatorily of.  How does having a tattoo make one not a public figure or a public servant. So many people in positions of power here, even at the top dog spot,  and elsewhere have some ink on them.  

Bottom line:  Many many Thai women and girls have one or several tattoos.

In many cases the same as Thai men the tattoos are respecting various religious / cultural beliefs.

I recall one of my male bachelor degree students showed everybody the very large tattoos on his back and legs which has been done a week earlier.

He shared that his whole family had experienced a number ofproblems, and their favorite monk had decreed that all the adults and late teenagers (M and F) in the family should get the same set of tattoos and the monk gve them drawings for the tattoos. 

The tattoos were applied by a male monk to the male members of the family, all within the same day and by a female tattoo artist under the close supervision of the favorite monk, to the female family members of the family, all within the same day as the males were inked. 

My student shared that within a few hours of the activity for all members to get these same tattoos the family was convinced their problems and bad luck had finished. 

I heard a couple of months later that 2 other students (1M and 1F) had asked for the location of the favorite monk and ultimately all their adult and late family members (M and F) had been

inked, same images are the first family, all in the same day. 

15 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

Beards as well.

In an era of razors and scissors are easily accessible, I could never figure why there are those who like the grungy cave dweller look ????. Unless of course they’re dirt poor and can’t afford a haircut and a razor.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I think that  what you say is correct. They are a fashion fad.

When I was growing up in London, tattoos were much less common.  Gradually they  became more popular on men, then women. Nowadays they are everywhere. Almost a rite of passage with the young backpacker crowd.

I think eventually things will go the other way, and being tat free will be the cool thing for a while.

"Almost a rite of passage with the young backpacker crowd".

And gang members..............

image.png.6205b02d0d6f2a1167312fd3e4fda162.png

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Fully sleeved and my back is done. Buddhist tattoos, on upper arms and back...traditional Thai Sak Yants.  Why show you, you hate tattoos anyway.

Don't hate them just laugh at them and feel sorry for the people who look ridiculous with them, care to tell us what the point of all that inking is?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, markclover said:

Her entire fanbase are 12 year old girls.  I don't think middle ages men should be getting offended.

The age of her hundreds and thousands of fans will not stop them getting a tattoo the same as Lisa's.

It certainly is good news for Tattoo artists..........

From the article -

I’d like to kindly tell this person to <deleted> off.

I have no problem with the writers sentiments but just surprised that it seems ok to use the swear word  in full in the Thai press...... Or is that quite normal these days?

Edited by topt
I note that when posting AN changed it for deleted......

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Your image matters to the people’s feelings and maybe this is ok for your generation but what about those who are from the older generation?”

Shrugs and replies: The older generation will die off sooner...

I like a full english breakfast in the morning (bacon, eggs, beans, tomatoes, et al).  But always having to explain what I wanted when abroad was a nuisance, so now I just 'point at my head' and that works fine.

And for after-hours I also have a tattoo in the southern region of a luke-warm no-foam english-style beer...

Bacon and Eggs tattoo.jpg

• Haha 1

I knew a bar girl from Nana Plaza that had 'your name' done on her bum. Marketing- hello what u name- Dave nice to meet u. Oh I got your name tattooed on my bum. Really, let me see, ok go back your room can see etc. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I don't like tattoos at all and wouldn't have any myself, but each to their own. Why do those netizens care about other people's choices so much?

Same as they care about street graffiti, looks slummy, corse and unattractive 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I like a full english breakfast in the morning (bacon, eggs, beans, tomatoes, et al).  But always having to explain what I wanted when abroad was a nuisance, so now I just 'point at my head' and that works fine.

And for after-hours I also have a tattoo in the southern region of a luke-warm no-foam english-style beer...

Bacon and Eggs tattoo.jpg

This is actually brilliant.

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Bottom line:  Many many Thai women and girls have one or several tattoos.

In many cases the same as Thai men the tattoos are respecting various religious / cultural beliefs.

I recall one of my male bachelor degree students showed everybody the very large tattoos on his back and legs which has been done a week earlier.

He shared that his whole family had experienced a number ofproblems, and their favorite monk had decreed that all the adults and late teenagers (M and F) in the family should get the same set of tattoos and the monk gve them drawings for the tattoos. 

The tattoos were applied by a male monk to the male members of the family, all within the same day and by a female tattoo artist under the close supervision of the favorite monk, to the female family members of the family, all within the same day as the males were inked. 

My student shared that within a few hours of the activity for all members to get these same tattoos the family was convinced their problems and bad luck had finished. 

I heard a couple of months later that 2 other students (1M and 1F) had asked for the location of the favorite monk and ultimately all their adult and late family members (M and F) had been

inked, same images are the first family, all in the same day. 

A couple three years ago an ordained traveling Tattoo Monk came through the area, stopping at village to village tattooing people and the villagers from each village would follow the monk to the next village. It was quite a parade of people by the time we got to the last village and hordes of people crammed in a small temple area. Highly coveted tattoos, certainly not the same from the master dham type shops.