'We're asking for help to bring our boy home to Manchester so he's not alone as he fights for his life'

webfact

I find it extremely odd that there does not appear to be any police report, not even a preliminary statement. Unless there has been one recently, we have no information about this tragedy whatsoever, other than what the family, who are thousands of miles away, have reported.

Did the police even attend the scene.

What was the other vehicle involved.

Who was the driver.

Which direction were they both travelling in.

Was the other vehicle speeding, or even stationary.

Are there any witnesses.

Have the lads he was drinking with been questioned.

There is something very odd in my opinion, about the lack of information regarding this tragedy; it must be terrible for the family, and I hope he makes a full recovery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sjbrownderby said:
23 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Divorced?

He might well be divorced but if he has five kids then he must have some ongoing legal responsibility for them. Thailand is definitely not the place where any kind of legitimate employment would produce enough remuneration to satisfy his own needs and his familial responsibilities back in the UK. 

Really?  You know a lot about his personal circumstances and legal responsibilities, then, do you?   Why not expand on them?

"Thailand is definitely not the place where any kind of legitimate employment would produce enough remuneration to satisfy his own needs and his familial responsibilities back in the UK". 

No kind of legitimate employment for expats pays well in Thailand?  Really?  The many expats (and there's more to life in Thailand than Asean Now posters) who earn very good salaries here would disagree with that.   How the duck could you ever know what "his needs" are?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Anyone who has ever rented a bike in Thailand would of been given something that would resemble a skateboard helmet that would offer no protection at all unless you was on a skateboard or possibly rollerskates, so whether this poor chap was wearing one I very much doubt the outcome would of been any different, you can't expect a to pay 39 baht for a  helmet & expect it to be if any use in an accident.......

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I don't want to rehash the usual travel insurance stuff, which is pretty relevant.

But in the article is states 'brain function is now minimal'

Does that mean he's essentially brain dead?

He was braindead as soon as he got on his bike <deleted>, on the phone, no helmet, no bike insurance.. no hope lol... Fundraisers were not created for idiots!

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Dr B said:

If you take the trouble to read the article from the Manchester Evening News you will find that he had stopped talking on the phone, but it was still connected in his pocket. 

So he had been talking on the phone but he wasn't when he smashed into the pickup.    If his girlfriend was still connected to the call and heard the crash the chances are that the call ended just seconds before the accident and that he had been using the phone while riding.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 12:44 PM, BestB said:

Sad, but this means not only he was riding no helmet but was also on the phone.

Putting that aside, and no travel insurance, what i do not understand is why truck insurance is not paying?  Why police are not forcing truck owner to pay?

Not in Thailand truck driver no license and no insurance?

Yes, no matter what the truth is, ? and what we say, ... This is NOT a very good Photo i would say !!! Like one that NO one wants to see. ....

... And God Bless the Nurses and Doctors who have to put up with it every day, and 10 or 20 times over !!! .... Maybe I should take them in Some Pizza !!! ... Like seriously, ... show that I DO care !!! ( When I have my Skin Cancer operation Tomorrow. ... )

( ... I did do this for our very good, Local Immigration Department once, though well I guess that we better not get in to that story, though there WERE .... VERY Surprised !!! ...  I Can tell you !!! )

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Really?  You know a lot about his personal circumstances and legal responsibilities, then, do you?   Why not expand on them?

"Thailand is definitely not the place where any kind of legitimate employment would produce enough remuneration to satisfy his own needs and his familial responsibilities back in the UK". 

No kind of legitimate employment for expats pays well in Thailand?  Really?  The many expats (and there's more to life in Thailand than Asean Now posters) who earn very good salaries here would disagree with that.   How the duck could you ever know what "his needs" are?

I take it you're very familiar with Stockport.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I did not know that... 

I always thought that unless the accident is a minor tap where parties agree and move on quickly, that if a ‘serious’ accidnet occurs on a public road the police always come out, especially when someone is hurt or there is contested damage.

Vehicles are also not moved until blame can be assigned (by the police officer - which usually causes an awful traffic Jam). 

This has been my experience (when involved in an accident), also when witnessing an accident (I only had to wait about 5 mins to give the BiB my Dash-cam footage (of a motorcyclists getting hit by a hit n run). Perhaps in the countryside waits are longer or the BiB coming to the scene is less common than it is in Bangkok where a police officer is never more than 5 mins away.

In this incident someone was seriously hurt, I find it difficult to believe that a Police Officer did not turn up. 

This accident didn't happen in Bangkok.

Sheesh...

Real-life incident in Pattaya about eight years ago. Side-swiped by a FFF* who cut in from the right-turn only lane as the lights turned green. We pulled over to 'exchange pleasantries' and after ascertaining how long I had lived there, he berated me for NOT driving like a Thai. While we waited for our insurance people, the cops stopped a couple of times but the only thing they asked was if we had insurance. When given the affirmative, they drove off.

*Fat Farang in a Fortuner

Edited by NanLaew

12 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

This accident didn't happen in Bangkok.

Sheesh...

I never implied otherwise...   Sheesh indeed !!!...

12 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Real-life incident in Pattaya about eight years ago. Side-swiped by a FFF* who cut in from the right-turn only lane as the lights turned green. We pulled over to 'exchange pleasantries' and after ascertaining how long I had lived there, he berated me for NOT driving like a Thai. While we waited for our insurance people, the cops stopped a couple of times but the only thing they asked was if we had insurance. When given the affirmative, they drove off.

*Fat Farang in a Fortuner

You are providing an example of the BiB being lazy and suggesting it may be SOP for them not to bother to deal with proceedings at the scene of an accident ?

More often than not, the BiB attend the scene of an accident...   I’d agree with the implication that this does not occur all the time, but ‘most of the time’ the BiB turn up... If there are injuries or serious damage, I’d even argue they turn up all the time.

In this event (involving the guy from Manchester) - I find it difficult to believe the police didn’t turn up.

Are you [NanLeaw] suggesting that the Police would not turn-up and deal with the carnage and proceedings in this accident when someone was seriously hurt ????

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bday Prang said:
23 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

From the insurance (or lack of it) point of view Brits believe their needs will always be taken care of by their National Health Service.

Absolute rubbish,  british people nowadays have very little faith in the national disgrace that the NHS has become. 

Thanks for the clarification. I guess when it comes to holiday insurance then, they are just dumb as a box of rocks.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I never implied otherwise...   Sheesh indeed !!!...

You are providing an example of the BiB being lazy and suggesting it may be SOP for them not to bother to deal with proceedings at the scene of an accident ?

More often than not, the BiB attend the scene of an accident...   I’d agree with the implication that this does not occur all the time, but ‘most of the time’ the BiB turn up... If there are injuries or serious damage, I’d even argue they turn up all the time.

In this event (involving the guy from Manchester) - I find it difficult to believe the police didn’t turn up.

Are you [NanLeaw] suggesting that the Police would not turn-up and deal with the carnage and proceedings in this accident when someone was seriously hurt ????

Yes. Yes I am. It's Samui, not Bangkok.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The few articles I read I am unsure if he was actually moving at the time of the incident.... had he stopped to talk on the phone, it also covers why he was not wearing his helmet. Also if stationary, the other driver is 100% to blame. 

If any of that were true, it would surely have been highlighted in the gobegforme account page.  The would have put much emphasis on how he was being uber safe and following all the rules even pulling off the road to make a phone call.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2023 at 12:55 PM, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

Again sadly the dangers of NO ensuring you have adequate Insurance when on holiday to replaying itself out . More so when you delight in riding a motorbike . 

Saw that when I came here 20 years ago, will not ride a Motorcycle at all. 

Good luck with this , best wishes to the family by sorry little sympathy for the actions of your son . !

Insurance probably wouldn't help in this case, they usually disqualify motor bike driving and in addition he was probably over the limit, did he even have an international license? I see only one end to this and it isn't good.