'We're asking for help to bring our boy home to Manchester so he's not alone as he fights for his life'

webfact

On 3/11/2023 at 12:08 PM, steven100 said:

Very sad indeed.  Whens tourists jump on a motorbike in Thailand the safety aspect is compromised in most cases which poses a big risk of getting injured. Honestly,  it's just not worth it.

Yes and absolutely the person who comes here that drive’s on these roads takes a risk every second  I  bet he wish he had been wearing a helmet now and taken out insurance which a lot of plums don’t hey good he’s learned the most terrible way he’s funked  no matter silly silly boy 

3 hours ago, Bazerino said:

Anyone who has ever rented a bike in Thailand would of been given something that would resemble a skateboard helmet that would offer no protection at all unless you was on a skateboard or possibly rollerskates, so whether this poor chap was wearing one I very much doubt the outcome would of been any different, you can't expect a to pay 39 baht for a  helmet & expect it to be if any use in an accident.......

Absolute nonsense. Even a cheap "skateboard helmet" is better than no protection and can mark the difference between life and death. Especially in accidents at lower speeds, where you aren't necessarily skidding across the ground, but rather just suffer an initial fall and need protection against that one impact to your head.

2 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

They got to beg more for cash to pay the medical bill first from beg go fund me.Just don,t mention no license  helmet.Using mob phone maybe alittle drink inside of him.Other wise  will mean nothing,insurance said  we will not pay 

Spot on he thought he was the big man he will look back and realize what a dingbat he was that’s if he makes it ????

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

This accident didn't happen in Bangkok.

Sheesh...

Real-life incident in Pattaya about eight years ago. Side-swiped by a FFF* who cut in from the right-turn only lane as the lights turned green. We pulled over to 'exchange pleasantries' and after ascertaining how long I had lived there, he berated me for NOT driving like a Thai. While we waited for our insurance people, the cops stopped a couple of times but the only thing they asked was if we had insurance. When given the affirmative, they drove off.

*Fat Farang in a Fortuner

This accident didn’t happen in Pattaya

Sheesh …

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Insurance probably wouldn't help in this case, they usually disqualify motor bike driving and in addition he was probably over the limit, did he even have an international license? I see only one end to this and it isn't good.

If he has a bike licence in the u.k he should be insured, one insurer I used a few years ago said if I didn't have a u.k bike licence I wouldn't be covered, they also wouldn't except my Thai licence, I now take out extra bike insurance as well as the compulsory government insurance, but even that doesn't cover for a serious accident......

39 minutes ago, Myran said:

Absolute nonsense. Even a cheap "skateboard helmet" is better than no protection and can mark the difference between life and death. Especially in accidents at lower speeds, where you aren't necessarily skidding across the ground, but rather just suffer an initial fall and need protection against that one impact to your head.

There is also no such thing as a one size fits all Motorcycle Helmet, in correctly fitting helmets can actually come off in an accident, ill take back what I said to describe the helmets to skateboarders helmets as they cost 700baht more than ones you are given when hiring a Motorcycle.

4 minutes ago, Bazerino said:

There is also no such thing as a one size fits all Motorcycle Helmet, in correctly fitting helmets can actually come off in an accident, ill take back what I said to describe the helmets to skateboarders helmets as they cost 700baht more than ones you are given when hiring a Motorcycle.

So are you claiming the helmet likely came off in the accident?

went to Thailand to look for work!

why!

There's plenty if unmet job vacancies here in UK. To the point the chancellor is promoting schemes to get the workforce still not back to work after Covid.

Working in Thailand has plenty if additional hurdles and here in UK availability is good and no hurdles.

That reason to travel to Thailand to find work is not common sense or standing up to even brief scrutiny.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, schvonsky1 said:

Yes and absolutely the person who comes here that drive’s on these roads takes a risk every second  I  bet he wish he had been wearing a helmet now and taken out insurance which a lot of plums don’t hey good he’s learned the most terrible way he’s funked  no matter silly silly boy 

Add to his wishes.............. being sober and not using the phone !!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So are you claiming the helmet likely came off in the accident?

No, I'm just citing the facts that you need to wear a helmet that fits correctly to the size of your head & that in some cases a poorly fitted helmet could possibly come of in an accident & that the ones that are supplied by motorcycle renters give minimal protection in a serious accident.

4 minutes ago, Bazerino said:

No, I'm just citing the facts that you need to wear a helmet that fits correctly to the size of your head & that in some cases a poorly fitted helmet could possibly come of in an accident & that the ones that are supplied by motorcycle renters give minimal protection in a serious accident.

That a poor fitting helmet could possibly come off in an accident seems like a pretty weak excuse for not wearing one. 

I used to ride a bit, I hated wearing a helmet. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, proton said:

Seems to be one of these a week. Might be time to stop tourists hiring bikes to protect them from their own stupidity. 

Imagine if there was a law which prevented tourists from renting a motorcycle without a licence... :whistling:

Imagine if after a spate of negative publicity there were crackdowns on such issues a few years ago with the chief of police vowing to deal with the issue... :whistling:

41 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

That a poor fitting helmet could possibly come off in an accident seems like a pretty weak excuse for not wearing one. 

I used to ride a bit, I hated wearing a helmet. 

No this isn't the case, some people were saying that he may of not been wearing one, he was drunk & using his phone before the accident, all I was saying is that if he was wearing one it would been one of cheap ones with minimal protection & that I doubt it would of gave him much protection from a head injury, I've seen these helmets, thin plastic, hardly any cushioning inside & poor chin strap, you can buy them for less than 50 baht online, I've never used them myself for the obvious reasons, I have a couple of helmets that I bought from the u.k that have a good Sharp Safety Rating & i know its not much fun wearing one here, but I would never ride without one, same goes for wearing a seat belt.......

Edited by Bazerino

17 minutes ago, Bazerino said:

No this isn't the case, some people were saying that he may of not been wearing one, he was drunk & using his phone before the accident, all I was saying is that if he was wearing one it would been one of cheap ones with minimal protection & that I doubt it would of gave him much protection from a head injury, I've seen these helmets, thin plastic, hardly any cushioning inside & poor chin strap, you can buy them for less than 50 baht online, I've never used them myself for the obvious reasons, I have a couple of helmets that I bought from the u.k that have a good Sharp Safety Rating & i know its not much fun wearing one here, but I would never ride without one, same goes for wearing a seat belt.......

But clearly most any helmet is better than none, yes?

So you never rode without a helmet or drove without a seatbelt? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

A lot of high and mighty views beig aired here and the discussion seems to be becoming more general than specifically about the accident that was the subject of the OP.

When considering why these accidents happen and the consequences of them, we should not forget the role that Thailand itself plays in these matters.

Insurance: The country only requires a rider to have the woefully inadequate compulsory insurance.  The majority of accidents involving foreigners seem to involve rented bikes. It would be far better if rental companies were compelled to provide full insurance as they are in most civilised countries and check that the renter hold a licence to ride a bike.  Of course that would cost a lot more but its how it is elswhere and with good reason. Personally I would like to see all drivers of all vehicles properly insured.

Crash Helmets: There is a high disregard for the law on helmets both within the Thai community and with foreigners.  I have never seen anyone not wearing a crash helmet in the UK since the helmet law came in in 1973. Why? Because in the UK the law is actually enforced and you wouldn't get far without being stopped if you weren't wearing one. 

Traffic laws are obeyed by most in civilised countries because a). The punishments are quite severe and b). The police only report the offence, they don't collect the fine and put in in their back pocket. The courts issue punishments/fixed penalties and in general, they fit the crime.

Insurance: Whether native of foreign, in most countries that I know, proper insurance must be held. Insurance that gives adequate personal and 3rd party medical cover. Agan, this law is properly enforced.

Licences:  Again, law enforcement in civilised countries ensures that the vast majority of people hold the correct licence for their vehicle.

Yes, all these things would require enforcement and changes to the law in the case of insurance but those changes are necessary.  People, especially holiday makers never think they will be involved in an accident when they rent their 100cc scooter but these people are exactly the ones who would benefit from an overhaul of the laws/insurance/law enforcement.

I've lost count of the times I've seen young female tourists wobbling around on rented bikes in popular tourist areas.  The same people can be seen in the bars/discos at night with bandaged legs etc. and they are the lucky ones.

Thailand likes to think of itself as a developing country but in terms of traffic laws etc. its very much still third world.

One of the attractions Thailand holds for ex-pats is the lack of over regulation but some things are very necessary - especially when it concerns your safety.

Why is the individual not responsible?

Your position seems to be that when an individual breaks the law, it's the law's fault for not severely punishing every infraction? 

How about a ten-thousand baht fine for non-citizens not wearing helmets? 

• Like 2

I had a car accident with a motorcyclist a few years back. The m'cyclist only had one leg. Irrespective the cops wanted to do me for causing the accident. https://studio.youtube.com/video/16Zo4DXgohI/editLuckily my insurance guy turned up to assist at the police station. He knew I had a dashcam and asked the police to view it. After the police saw the video they decided that he was at fault. But due to him being poor they didn't fine him the 1400 Baht they were going to basing it on the man being poor and not being able to afford it. All a load of tosh.

4:17 into the vid.

https://studio.youtube.com/video/16Zo4DXgohI/edit

Edited by IvorBiggun2

I am sorry this man has got into this situation yet I have asked myself why he has 5 children to provide for and looking for work in Thailand when he has or had far more chance of that  in the UK.

My conclusion is that the man is irresponsible. 

The parents are left in a difficult situation for sure .

Even if the man is taken to the UK , will that change anything for the children he is responsible for? . I doubt that to be perfectly honest. 

He has become a liability for all around him . 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Your position seems to be that when an individual breaks the law, it's the law's fault for not severely punishing every infraction? 

How about a ten-thousand baht fine for non-citizens not wearing helmets? 

Individuals only obey laws that exist and are enforced.  If we left it to people to choose - most wouldn't. Why do you think Thai people for example, rarely wear crash helmets?

Do you seriously think that most people would pay for insurance, get a licence or wear a helmet if they didn't have to? 

Its called governance - the alternative is the wild west.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Bazerino said:

Anyone who has ever rented a bike in Thailand would of been given something that would resemble a skateboard helmet that would offer no protection at all unless you was on a skateboard or possibly rollerskates, so whether this poor chap was wearing one I very much doubt the outcome would of been any different, you can't expect a to pay 39 baht for a  helmet & expect it to be if any use in an accident.......

Total rubbish.

There are no 39 baht motor bike crash helmets. 150 baht yes.

They would provide some protection at normal speeds around town.

Stop your Bs.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, quake said:

Total rubbish.

There are no 39 baht motor bike crash helmets. 150 baht yes.

They would provide some protection at normal speeds around town.

Stop your Bs.

The point he makes is that they are extremely cheap and are relatively ineffective compared to approved helmets we are used to in many of our home nations. 

The protection such helmets may provide is somewhat minimal from an impact point of view, such helmets may protect from scratches etc their effectiveness as ‘helmet’ minimal - my Son’s bicycle helmet is significantly better than these ‘plastic lids’ you seem to be sticking up for. 

There is also the additional facet that ‘renters’ without a better option use such helmets - rental agencies should be forced to provide proper helmets. 

I rented a motorcycle while sandboxing in Phuket, I bought my own helmet. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Where did I say they are not responsible? I said we should not forget the ROLE the country has in this.

However, if you think people (the majority) will wear crash helmets, take a driving test or pay for insurance if they don't have to - you are kidding yourself.

The evidence is there in our subject country.  Look at how many people don't actually have a licence, don't wear a crash helmet..........and I think you would be surprised at how many people have nothing more than the compulsory insurance.

Utopia would be great but it doesn't exist.

• Sad 1