Advice sought on best small hatchbacks/cars

Toolong

25 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Indeed, even the entry level CX5 is 200k more here than the top model CX30, and Mazda restrict certain model trims in certain countries; the CX5 is not available here in Carbon trim, whereas I believe the CX3 and CX 30 are. I don’t really need the extra space of the 5, but want it for the 2.5 Turbo. 256 hp and 320 lb-ft Torque, with 60 arrivingin 6.8 secs. I still like to exercise my right foot from time to time ????

You would be pleasantly surprised by the power the CX-30 has. And it gets good mileage too. In the mountains, I have never felt it lacks what I need. And the paddle shifters increase the fun of driving it. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

This thread is amusing.

OP asked for a recommendation for a small hatchback or car.   That seems to have been interpreted pretty broadly. 

How about a long wheelbase Maybach or perhaps a Humvee?

There is no real difference between the CX-30 and a Mazda 3, or between an Altis and the Cross. I think all the small SUVs have hatches and are just based on small sedans. 

10 minutes ago, Toolong said:

You're the first to mention the Mirage, henryford.

I see a lot on the roads. Size-wise, for my wife, they fit the bill, perfectly, but my wife seems to not be keen. ????

Thanks for your comment henry. ????????

I have had both the Mirage and the Attrage. Both OK cars for money and great service from Mitsubhishi. But if the wife doesn't like them end of story.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, spidermike007 said:

You would be pleasant surprised by the power the CX-30 has. And it gets good mileage too. In the mountains, I have never felt it lacks what I need. And the paddle shifters increase the fun of driving it. 

I've had the 'tuna for 6-7 years and had forgotten it had the paddle-shifters until my boy started driving and asked what they were...

29 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Small modern cars are much of a muchness.

Just get the best deal you can on a

Toyota Yaris or

Mazda 2 or

Mitsubhishi Mirage/Attrage or

Honda City

Forget any Chinese rubbish

I find both the Yaris and the City downright boring and conventional, compared to the Mazda. Any newer Mazda. And little if any fun to drive. Life is short. Enjoy something nice. 

17 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

This thread is amusing.

OP asked for a recommendation for a small hatchback or car.   That seems to have been interpreted pretty broadly. 

Nah his Mrs wants a Bentley now. ????????

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

There is no real difference between the CX-30 and a Mazda 3, or between an Altis and the Cross. I think all the small SUVs have hatches and are just based on small sedans. 

I disagree. I have a CX-30. It is a giant step up from the Mazda 3. 

30 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

I get the feeling from what you are saying about your requirements, especially regarding your wife, the CX3 might be the ticket. My wife is an occasional, and not very confident driver, but she is fine with my CX3.

Important, I find, to take a few minutes with her getting the seat adjusted properly, so she is not stretching, or overreaching for pedals or controls; and the mirrors of course; sounds obvious I know, but very important to get her feeling comfortable

About the CX3 as possible suitable car for my wife (as well as myself)....yes, I'm thinking that could be right. ????

As for the other points you make about getting 'adjusted' right in the vehicle, I could not agree more!! ???????? Very wise advice. ????????

I have a thing about mirrors. I constantly tell my wife and other road users in the family that mirrors are your best friends on the road. I hope it sinks in. ????

Perfect seat adjustment. SO important, I agree.

Thanks Eloquent Pilgrim. ????????

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

This thread is amusing.

???????? Yeah, maybe you're right.....but actually the divergence (so to speak) is perfectly fine for me and is actually very instructive for me, because I'm genuinely open to rethinking whether or not she DOES absolutely require a small hatchback. I still think 'yes', overall, she does.....but if say, a CX3 has, for her, enough of the characterisitics & 'feel' of a  small, easily manouevreable vehicle, then it could be that it is a compromise that suits both her needs and mine. Just sayin' ????

Plus....hey, I'm enjoying talking about cars! ????????????

34 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I have had both the Mirage and the Attrage. Both OK cars for money and great service from Mitsubhishi. But if the wife doesn't like them end of story.

Yes, I'm open to going along to the Mitsu place and giving them a chance to dazzle me......but like you say, if my wife isn't keen.....then, 'end of'. ???? ????

33 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I find both the Yaris and the City downright boring and conventional, compared to the Mazda. Any newer Mazda. And little if any fun to drive. Life is short. Enjoy something nice. 

'Life is short. Enjoy something nice.'

Living out my days here until bucket is kicked, this is a mantra I also live by. ????????????

(Which is why the little-lad in me would just like to sign up for a new Mazda 3 sedan in candy-apple red and hope the wife just forgets about driving altogether!! ????)

But seriously, I note your point about Mazdas. ????

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Yes, I'm open to going along to the Mitsu place and giving them a chance to dazzle me......but like you say, if my wife isn't keen.....then, 'end of'. ???? ????

Man up (if you dare) and tell her your money your choice.....LOL

• Haha 1

We looked and test drove all of them a couple of weeks back when my wife blew up the engine in the CRV didn't eventually  buy any of them becuse we put a recon engine in her car but out of all of them would choose the new model Honda City Hatchback. From B599,000m the model we would have bought is the 1.0 RS at B749,000

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Toolong said:

Oh, my wife would LOVE a Fortuner, but even she concedes that it would be too big for her. 

(PS: consider this.....if you can drive a Fortuner around Bkk without any probs - and you will inevitably learn to do so like a master! - you can drive anything, anywhere! ????????????)

You wife will mostly be driving around town? If so, a smaller car is more appropriate. I avoided the ppv's because of their size, lower fuel consumption, and ladder-on-frame design. I found the compromise I wanted was the crv diesel, and I spent a couple of months researching various cars. 

But to be honest, in the small car category, you can't go wrong with most of the current crop of ecocars. It's just up to your taste and what you are looking for. 

If you ranked your preferences in order, its easier to give advice.

e,.g, performance, comfort, ride height, fuel economy, sound insulation, braking distance, passive and active safety features, resale, cost / availability of spares, labour charges, freebies / discounts given, etc..

This is  good site for getting data from for various cars, so you can make comparisons

https://www.autoinfo.co.th/datron/

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

There are better choices in the market now than mitsubishi, ecocar-wise. 

10 minutes ago, petermik said:

Man up (if you dare) and tell her your money your choice.....LOL

She'd just go ahead and buy her own car and I'd be left with a new, unused hunk of Mirage blocking up the driveway! ????

6 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

We looked and test drove all of them a couple of weeks back when my wife blew up the engine in the CRV didn't eventually  buy any of them becuse we put a recon engine in her car but out of all of them would choose the new model Honda City Hatchback. From B599,000m the model we would have bought is the 1.0 RS at B749,000

You sound like a Honda person, Rimmer. Nothing wrong with that, of course. My wife is keen on Honda and the hatchback City appealed to her when she sat in one. Seen a few youtube reviews of them and they certainly have some nice features. For example, the rear-seat options are hugely practical, I think. Honda's put some thought to functionality. One gripe is their low height off the ground though. 13.5 cms. ????. Roads my way are very poor. 

The RS sounds as if it's maybe top spec or thereabouts. 

Plan to go to Honda tomorrow to check out the new WR-V model, so I might at the same time give the City hatchback a more thorough look over than I did before.

Cheers! ????????

1 hour ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Indeed, even the entry level CX5 is 200k more here than the top model CX30, and Mazda restrict certain model trims in certain countries; the CX5 is not available here in Carbon trim, whereas I believe the CX3 and CX 30 are. I don’t really need the extra space of the 5, but want it for the 2.5 Turbo. 256 hp and 320 lb-ft Torque, with 60 arrivingin 6.8 secs. I still like to exercise my right foot from time to time ????

The Thai version is 231HP. An Aussie review puts this spec car  0-100km/h at 7.5 seconds. 

Thai car, I found one video. 

23 minutes ago, DavisH said:

You wife will mostly be driving around town? If so, a smaller car is more appropriate. I avoided the ppv's because of their size, lower fuel consumption, and ladder-on-frame design. I found the compromise I wanted was the crv diesel, and I spent a couple of months researching various cars. 

But to be honest, in the small car category, you can't go wrong with most of the current crop of ecocars. It's just up to your taste and what you are looking for. 

e,.g, performance, comfort, ride height, fuel economy, sound insulation, braking distance, passive and active safety features, resale, cost / availability of spares, labour charges, freebies / discounts given, etc..

This is  good site for getting data from for various cars, so you can make comparisons

I will check out that link right now, DavisH.. ????

Meanwhile...preferences? I'd say Mazda first (Mazda 2 hatchback, or poss. CX3), Toyota second (Yaris hatchback), then Honda third (WR-V or City hatchback). Will check out the WR-V tomorrow. Who knows, it might blow me away! ????

30 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Oh...wife would do both (small but busy) town driving and country (some bad roads!). ????

15 minutes ago, DavisH said:

The Thai version is 231HP. An Aussie review puts this spec car  0-100km/h at 7.5 seconds. 

Thai car, I found one video. 

The CX5, depending on country, comes with either a 2.5 naturally aspirated engine or the same engine turbocharged, or in some countries both.

The turbo version is good for 227 hp and 310 lb-ft if you stick with 87-octane fuel or 256 hp and 320 lb-ft on 93-octane fuel. 

The 0-60mph of 6.8 seconds is correct for the turbo using 93+ octane fuel. I haven’t viewed the Aussie review because I never open any links on this forum.

Cheers

25 minutes ago, Toolong said:

I will check out that link right now, DavisH.. ????

Meanwhile...preferences? I'd say Mazda first (Mazda 2 hatchback, or poss. CX3), Toyota second (Yaris hatchback), then Honda third (WR-V or City hatchback). Will check out the WR-V tomorrow. Who knows, it might blow me away! ????

I would also do some research on which brands are likely to sue you if you find something wrong and complain

Once you have a shortlist of 3 or 4 vehicles I am sure your wife has facebook its worth joining the facebook groups for your shortlist as you find out if there are any issues you need to be aware of

There are some models where the rustproofing doesn't appear to perform as well as other models in the same brand

Edited by vinny41
add

39 minutes ago, Toolong said:

You sound like a Honda person, Rimmer. Nothing wrong with that, of course. My wife is keen on Honda and the hatchback City appealed to her when she sat in one. Seen a few youtube reviews of them and they certainly have some nice features. For example, the rear-seat options are hugely practical, I think. Honda's put some thought to functionality. One gripe is their low height off the ground though. 13.5 cms. ????. Roads my way are very poor. 

The RS sounds as if it's maybe top spec or thereabouts. 

Plan to go to Honda tomorrow to check out the new WR-V model, so I might at the same time give the City hatchback a more thorough look over than I did before.

Cheers! ????????

I believe the new city is higher than last year model and we looked carefully at that aspect as our road is a 1km long washed out dried up dirt and stone river bed or a raging torrent during the monsoon.

Nissan we found lacking all round, Mazda seems to be old styling and dated interior also pricey for what it is, the Mazda showroom was dusty and sleepy, I suspect they might sell one car a week.... Toyota we found to be over priced, MG is OK price wise but wife found lots of bad reports on servicing, Mitsubishi I forget why we discounted that one, maybe they don't have a hachback I forget. Their new electric hatchback is pretty good though, I think it was around 1.2m