Confused re 45 day VOE

At the moment I can get a 45 day VOE and apply for a 30 day extension while in Thailand.

Check in at Heathrow I am told will not let me board if my flight return date is more than 45 days after arrival.

Is this information correct?

If correct the selling point of either 45/30 or 30/30 would seem false as it should say " Only if you have a throwaway onward ticket and a changeable return ticket"

Or am I missing something? again.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

Keep in mind that the 30 day extension, while you can count on it, is not officially 100% guaranteed.

This is why the airline requires you to show an exit ticket from Thailand within the first 45 or 30 days you will be allowed upon entering the country.

Edited by federicoP
typing error
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, LS24 said:

Tell Heathrow staff that you will travelling by bus to a border country before flying back into Thailand and then flying home.

Your info is wrong .... they won't except that,  they want to see an onward ticket before boarding.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That does not work.

The airline would only accept flight out of Thailand 

Thanks. I haven't been asked for a return or onward flight for years. That was just going to be my standard response if I was ever asked.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

It depends on the airline, I suspect?

Most airlines will ask for a ticket out of Thailand, in this case, after 45 days, its to cover themselves from any liability, as the 30 day extension is not guaranteed.

You probably meant PRIOR to the 45 days.

The onward ticket to a destination outside Thailand should be on a date PRIOR to the expiry date of the 45-day Permit to stay stamped in your passport by Thai border-immigration on entry.

An on-line onward-ticket only costs approx 12-15 US $, and is delivered instantly to your e-mail box after your credit-card payment. It is a fully legit means of meeting the requirement as it is an ACTUAL reservation, but the companies providing that service automatically cancel the reservation 48 or 72 hours after purchase.  That's no issue because by that time you are already in Thailand, when you buy the onward-ticket the day before your Thailand bound flight departs.

Edited by Red Phoenix

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That does not work.

The airline would only accept flight out of Thailand 

I’ve been flying into Thailand for the last 10 years 1 way and have only been questioned once , I explained that I was staying for two months then doing a road trip through Cambodia onto Vietnam which they accepted , 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Barney R said:

I’ve been flying into Thailand for the last 10 years 1 way and have only been questioned once , I explained that I was staying for two months then doing a road trip through Cambodia onto Vietnam which they accepted , 

Yes, but the airline check in staff have no guidelines written down specifically saying allow "staying for two months then doing a road trip through Cambodia onto Vietnam" passengers, so they stick to the simple rule of needing an onward flight if arriving visa exempt. Follow that rule and it won't be hit or miss when checking in.

I have never been asked to show an onward ticket in all of my eleven years (dozens and dozens of flights) , until my last trip from HCMC to Bangkok a few weeks ago. This was Nok Air.  I was entering on visa exempt, made a little fuss (politely) because I just had cataract surgery and could see well and my flight was boarding soon, and showed them my previous non-o visa based on marriage. They let me slide and said they were just doing their job, which I understand.   But it has never happened before. Moral of the story: bet to follow @DrJack54’s advice, or at least be to the airport early enough to book a flight or bus. (The Nok Air staff did say I could just even book a cheap bus or train ticket to a neighboring country).  I just didn’t have the vision ability or time to do so). Lesson learned. 

5 hours ago, Barney R said:

Who accepted. The airline at departure? Who questioned you.

Good for you that onward flight was not required by airline.

Guessing that was long haul flight 

If departing from nearby countries to Thailand such as Vietnam, Cambodia etc you will absolutely require onward flight flying without visa or reentry permit. 

2 minutes ago, keysersoze276 said:

I have never been asked to show an onward ticket in all of my eleven years (dozens and dozens of flights) , until my last trip from HCMC to Bangkok a few weeks ago. This was Nok Air.  I was entering on visa exempt, made a little fuss (politely) because I just had cataract surgery and could see well and my flight was boarding soon, and showed them my previous non-o visa based on marriage. They let me slide and said they were just doing their job, which I understand.   But it has never happened before. Moral of the story: bet to follow @DrJack54’s advice, or at least be to the airport early enough to book a flight or bus. (The Nok Air staff did say I could just even book a cheap bus or train ticket to a neighboring country).  I just didn’t have the vision ability or time to do so). Lesson learned. 

Do not doubt your account. 

No reason to 

The Nok Air chick had no idea.

The bus/train thing does not cut it.

She is poorly trained.

I also recently spent couple of weeks in Saigon.

Flew with Nok Air.

On departure from Saigon had to point check in chick to my reentry permit.

Over last ten years have flown to Vietnam every month prior to covid. 

Had several chats at boarding pass and every time confirmed that onward flight required if no visa or reentry permit 

You got very lucky. 

I have been stopped a number of times with Emirates on one way tickets, even with a re entry or non O. Had to ask for a supervisor to explain. No issues but sometimes get that "here we go" moment.
Remember staff have to deal with different passports flying all over the world through Dubai. Not sure if the poster flags it up or down to staff knowledge. 

Keep the onward cheep booking handy.

On 3/14/2023 at 9:32 PM, DrJack54 said:

Who accepted. The airline at departure? Who questioned you.

Good for you that onward flight was not required by airline.

Guessing that was long haul flight 

If departing from nearby countries to Thailand such as Vietnam, Cambodia etc you will absolutely require onward flight flying without visa or reentry permit. 

I just flew Air Asia from Kuala Lumpur to BKK March 5. No one asked to see an onward ticket. I had no visa to enter Thailand this time. 

Edited by alex8912

32 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I just flew Air Asia from Kuala Lumpur to BKK March 5. No one asked to see an onward ticket. I had no visa to enter Thailand this time. 

Same reply I gave the previous bloke.

The airline MAY require proof of onward flight.

There are many report of it not being asked for and MANY where it is required.

Actually pretty amazed that it was not required from KL with AirAsia. 

It's usually these short haul flights where low cost airlines require the onward flight. 

Note that, if you have a return ticket on the same airline greater than 45 days after your arrival, most (probably all) airlines will not worry about an onward ticket within 45 days. As others intimated, the airline is mainly concerned about the potential for having to return you to your origin if you are denied entry. If you already have a flight ticket they can easily grab, they cease to be worried. Those who are never asked about an onward ticket may, in some cases, fall into that category.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/14/2023 at 9:50 AM, mikeymike100 said:

It depends on the airline, I suspect?

Most airlines will ask for a ticket out of Thailand, in this case, after 45 days, its to cover themselves from any liability, as the 30 day extension is not guaranteed.

Neither is the 45 days guaranteed, not the "old" 30 days!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Me too, last month, from HCMC on Nok as well.

There is the problem.

On Feb 13 ...I flew back from Saigon to DMK with Nok Air.

For boarding pass the clerk was searching through my pp.

(I new what she was looking for) 

I asked for pp back and took her to page with reentry permit. 

I asked "what you looking" 

Long story short I made the effort to ask "what if I no visa or reentry permit"

In very good English she replied..

"Need flight out Thailand " 

Very sick of these threads. 

You were lucky. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Laugh emoji to my post above from whoever just shows ignorance.

I flew out Thailand and back for 7 years every month  prior to covid and have had my pp scrutinized every time for visa or reentry permit.

Almost all of those flights were with AirAsia carrier.

Have discussed this with AA staff few times.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

There is the problem.

On Feb 13 ...I flew back from Saigon to DMK with Nok Air.

For boarding pass the clerk was searching through my pp.

(I new what she was looking for) 

I asked for pp back and took her to page with reentry permit. 

I asked "what you looking" 

Long story short I made the effort to ask "what if I no visa or reentry permit"

In very good English she replied..

"Need flight out Thailand " 

Very sick of these threads. 

You were lucky. 

My 'lucky' check-in was four days after your 'unlucky' check-in on the 16th. I think the luck of the draw may be in who you get at the check-in desk?

On another note, looks like Nok's last service to/from SGN will be on 25 March. All dates beyond that are blocked on their online booking calendar and it's been like that since last month.

On 3/14/2023 at 1:30 AM, Barney R said:

My experience is similar 20 plus years.  Only asked a few times about onward ticket or visa and no problems when I didn't. I use one way tickets. I only fly to Thailand from Asian countries never UK, EU.  Mideast very rarely. 

Example Jan 01 2023 SIN-CNX Scoot air asked nothing at all by check in staff.