Police stopped a Black couple in Tennessee – and took their children

onthedarkside

image.png.da8d4f1ff7580e41f6749905b74aeae3.png

Nearly a month ago, Bianca Clayborne, Deonte Williams, and their five children were on their way from Georgia to Chicago for Clayborne’s uncle’s funeral when a highway patrol officer stopped them in Manchester, Tennessee.

That moment – about 60 miles outside Nashville – has since upended their lives as Clayborne and Williams try to regain custody of their children after they say state authorities “kidnapped” them on account of a minuscule amount of marijuana in the car, the Tennessee Lookout first reported.

The separation described by Clayborne and Williams fits into a historical pattern of US child welfare services dividing poor, Black and Indigenous families in particular on the grounds of alleged neglect and abuse, fueling disparities in who gets to remain a family and who doesn’t.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/mar/18/police-stopped-a-couple-in-tennessee-then-they-took-their-children-away

image.png.0d69553dfaf486f8fae251923072ca97.png

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

From another source:

Black family’s five children forcibly taken by child services after minor traffic stop in Tennessee

Georgia couple is fighting to get back the custody of their five children, including a four-month-old baby, after they were forcibly taken by child services following a traffic stop where police allegedly found a gun and marijuana in their possession.

Deonte Williams and Bianca Clayborne were stopped in Tennessee on 17 February for dark tinted windows and “travelling in the left lane while not actively passing”, Tennessee Lookout reported.

Officers searched the couple’s car and found a gun and five grams of marijuana – a misdemeanour under Tennessee state laws.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/crime/georgia-couple-custody-kids-marijuana-b2302712.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, metisdead said:

From another source:

Black family’s five children forcibly taken by child services after minor traffic stop in Tennessee

Georgia couple is fighting to get back the custody of their five children, including a four-month-old baby, after they were forcibly taken by child services following a traffic stop where police allegedly found a gun and marijuana in their possession.

Deonte Williams and Bianca Clayborne were stopped in Tennessee on 17 February for dark tinted windows and “travelling in the left lane while not actively passing”, Tennessee Lookout reported.

Officers searched the couple’s car and found a gun and five grams of marijuana – a misdemeanour under Tennessee state laws.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/crime/georgia-couple-custody-kids-marijuana-b2302712.html

In this article the state said that the hair follicle tests showed the parents testing positive for amphetamines, oxycodone, and fentanyl

"The attorney of the family planned to change the results of the hair follicle tests on the suggestion of experts that the test conducted on the couple is known to generate too many false positives.

However, they were told by child services that it will not be possible to challenge the results as the drug court does not hold onto them."

3 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Something had to have happened to make a simple traffic stop turn into searching the car and a hair follicle test. I would assume anyway.

You should read the links provided, the hair follicle test was a week later, the police refused to give the camera footage of the stop and the reason they claim is because of black tinted windows and being on the wrong side of the road.

Just now, EVENKEEL said:

Not wrong side of road, they were in fast (passing) lane and not passing. Which is stretching things unless they were impeding faster traffic.

Ok even better. Shame the police won't release the footage to confirm that.

6 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Which hasn’t stopped you inventing some to fit your world view.

6 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

But it’s just another example of the abuse of authority and power to inflict cruelty.

Touché

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

You should read the links provided, the hair follicle test was a week later, the police refused to give the camera footage of the stop and the reason they claim is because of black tinted windows and being on the wrong side of the road.

so should you.

driving in fast lane not the wrong side of the road. oh the irony of you telling someone to read the link. 

tinted windows last i checked are illegal at certain levels no ? this is a good point as well the tint. if said windows were tinted quite dark....... how would one know who the occupants are ? 

and o lets not just focus on the weed as its alleged right ? same as the gun which no one seems to want to talk about. i know i often carry a gun with me while in the car with 5 children. 

would anyone like to comment on why a family with 5 children going to a funeral need to be in possession of a gun and weed ? 

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

On 3/19/2023 at 6:27 AM, SunnyinBangrak said:

I suspect we are short of a few facts in this story. Specifically, the criminal history of the parents and their demeanour during their stop for bad driving, driving an illegal vehicle and possession of narcotics. It is likely this will turn out to be another poor parenting and decision making resulting in losing their kids than a racist system out to persecute blacks for no reason other than malice which is how The Guardian are phrasing this event.

I agree with you what you say is fair and reasonable comment and the people attacking you for daring to put a different viewpoint need to assess their attitude, insulting anyone who doesn't agree with them in attempts to shut down free speech is childish in the extreme. .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

Just now, stoner said:

so should you.

driving in fast lane not the wrong side of the road. oh the irony of you telling someone to read the link. 

tinted windows last i checked are illegal at certain levels no ? this is a good point as well the tint. if said windows were tinted quite dark....... how would one know who the occupants are ? 

and o lets not just focus on the weed as its alleged right ? same as the gun which no one seems to want to talk about. i know i often carry a gun with me while in the car with 5 children. 

would anyone like to comment on why a family with 5 children going to a funeral need to be in possession of a gun and weed ? 

I did read the links and gave a summary rather than re visit so that the poster could then do what he should have done and actually visit them. I did not say they were on the opposite side of the road I said the wrong side. As for the tinted windows, ask the police that's what they said. The weed and gun are nothing to do with why the car was pulled over.

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The weed and gun are nothing to do with why the car was pulled over.

from the sounds of it the tint and driving are why they were pulled over. the weed and the gun however are the reason for the problem with the children ?

what are your thoughts on the parents carrying weed and a gun with their 5 children ? 

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

Its a misdemeanor as the article said and not a reason to have 5 children taken away from them.

i see weed and a  gun in a car with 5 children a little differently. some general assumptions of the character of that kind of human can be clearly drawn regardless of color or any of that. i also notice you are avoiding giving your opinion on the matter. 

what do you think of parents in a car with weed and a gun ?  

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

4 minutes ago, stoner said:

i see weed and a  gun in a car with 5 children a little differently. some general assumptions of the character of that kind of human can be clearly drawn regardless of color or any of that. i also notice you are avoiding giving your opinion on the matter. 

what do you think of parents in a car with weed and a gun ?  

Its not about what I think, its about why they took 5 children away from the parents for a misdemeanor and then kept them away a week later after taking a hair follicle test.

"An instant hair follicle test performed on the parents at their first court appearance, about a week after the children were taken into custody, was a key element in DCS’ arguments for why the children should remain in DCS custody. However, a Coffee County court administrator, speaking to the Lookout broadly about the county’s instant hair follicle testing, said the tests are “inadmissible” in court."

If you have further facts then pleased do share?

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2