Bungee jump given clean bill of health after Hong Kong tourist "damaged Thai tourism" by going to foreign media

webfact

1 hour ago, BangkokKnights said:

Anyone who comes to Thailand and does extreme activities is a fool. Safety standards are rarely taken seriously. If the rope looks OK after 2000 jumps then keep using it .  In Australia the rope must be retired after a certain number of jumps even if its still in good nick.

Exactly what I say.  I can't believe anyone trusts a place with such lax safety standards to do something so dangerous.  Most pavements have several trip hazards in just one section, and they super easy to see and quick to fix.  People just don't bother.  I'd even think twice before going into a nightclub, given their reputation for catching fire and having escape routes blocked.

• Thumbs Up 1

It broke so it was not fit for the duty. If their visual inspections can’t pick up an obvious defect then their inspections are inadequate. 
If their inspections are inadequate it needs to be shut down until they put in place an adequate way to inspect wear, fatigue and any other faults.

Edited by Reigntax
  • Thumbs Up 1

Some very short memories on this island. The Kuwaiti guy who died after his bungee cords came off his ankles in 28 May 2015 in Patong? He hit the ground and well.... made a mess, even the press were not allowed into the park.

Also remember the many many tourists that fall off buildings and condo's on this island.

Safety is a word never uttered here, only mumbled very quietly at press conferences.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I'd even think twice before going into a nightclub, given their reputation for catching fire and having escape routes blocked.

Indeed...  We used to go to Santika quite regularly...  We’d nip in and out through the large floor to roof windows that opened like door... Apparently these were locked on that fatal New Years Eve Party (in the early hours of Jan 1st, 2009).

Some places just seem and feel safer than others, Santika felt like one of the safer places...

The underground places have given me cause for concern in the past and I often ‘accidentally’ lean against a fire-exit to see if it opens... then get very apologetic when security rush over !!

I have refused outright to go into places before - there was one such club on Sukhumvit somewhere, around Soi 11 area.... 5 or 6 floors, up a very narrow stairwell, one way up, one way down.

I walked into the stairwell, looked up and realised - No, this place is an utter trap and outright refused to go in. Fortunately the friends I was with were also convinced and we headed elsewhere. 

The reality is though, when there is a large number of people - if something happens we can find ourselves in grave danger... That could be a a very busy BTS station due to a ‘crush’.

I also often wonder how many the sprinkler systems really do function... it's not as if they can be tested yearly.  

How many of your kitchen have a fire extinguisher....  Ours does, or did. I’m not sure where it is now (probably shoved at the back, under the sink - its over 10 years told too, no idea if it would work).

• Thumbs Up 1

unbelievable: " It was decided that the cord had broken perhaps due to wear that could not be ascertained with the naked eye" 

To promot safety: I will tell all my firends who will and will not listen

DO NOT JUMP DO NOT USE ANY BUNGEE JUMP FACLITIES IN THAILAND  

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The authorities checked everything and decided that the operation was all up to standard.

How would they know. they couldn't find a way out of a paper bag.

Checked  every day, By Whom.  I think that's the problem.

Have no fear, Bungee cleared.  

I think they got that backwards. It wasn’t the HongKong tourist who damaged Thai tourism, it’s all those dodgy companies with no regards for safety who are to blame. But as usual it’s the foreigner’s fault, isn’t it? No one here ever takes responsibility for their own mistakes.

Edited by rudi49jr
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Let's do the math and add some business sense. If this happened in the US, as you may know, the cost to settle after a lawyer got involved would likely be a million DOLLARS or more in negligence and punitive damaes,. In this case, the original fee was 2500 baht. The victim sought 200,000. Now they cry about lost business, but they were warned and could have prevented it. If that lost business is 80 lost customers that equals the 200,000 baht. How many customers do you think in the next year they will now lose as a result of the publicity? If there were an average one lost customer  per day for the next year at 2500 baht, 365 x 2500 baht fee = 912,500 baht. And that's a very conservative guess. I'm sure they stand to lose at least that much, and they brought it on themselves. At today's exchange rate it's a little under 6000 US dollars. Measure that against the gross yearly income and the likely loss of "tourim". And so another example of that lack of common business sense that is so common. And, it's likely they could have negotiated down as much as to half at 100,000 baht. That is usually to be expected. Instead, the business owner decided to play victim and cry to the press, which only made things worse because now thousands more know about this and will not come. 

The Chinese tourist if smart would make a lot more money than B200k from it, through media interviews and maybe the rights to the video. Doubt the bungee company or Thai tourism would've released the video, so he must have gotten it. 

10 hours ago, jo1993 said:

If they wanted to protect Thai tourism, even just for show, they should have at very least suspended their licencing and closed them down. You know show they actually care about tourists...  No doubt hands got greased on the inspection 

money.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, cracker1 said:

"It was decided that the cord had broken perhaps due to wear that could not be ascertained with the naked eye."

If damage and deterioration can not  be seen with the naked how will it be possible to make a safety inspection?

14 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It is called victim culture, and is the polar opposite of the generations of the past. An advocate of wimp culture may called it repressed behavior, but these heros came back from the horrific experiences of WWII, and barely ever uttered a complaint. They just got on with their lives. There is a huge gap between a hero and a wimp. 

I thought it was American culture where it seems people sue or seek damages for even the smallest injury, slight or infraction, perceived or otherwise.

Edited by mstevens
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Goat said:

Snitch tried to rort 200,000 from them after falling 3 meteres into water.

Which resulted in zero damage to him. 

Blackban him. 

Everyone expects to be compensated for every little thing these days. 

Harden up.

Wasnt even that high. I would jump off that platform without a girly rope.

I see you have seen the video ?  And the damage the cords gave bike.  
stop talking <deleted> man….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mstevens said:

I thought it was American culture where it seems people sue or seek damages for even the smallest injury, slight or infraction, perceived or otherwise.

That is a big part of a declining American culture. Super litigious. But, unfortunately the worst of what America has to offer, is spreading elsewhere. 

As long as me too does not become adapted here, all is good. So far, it seems to be thoroughly rejected by Thai women.