Health Insurance - Non-O retirement

TimF

Hi

I previously had an OA visa and had the relevant health insurance which I bought through Luma but was covered by Pacific Cross. The price seemed to be the same regardless whether I went direct or through Luma.

I never claimed on the policy but understand Luma offered extra benefits (like English speaking agents, direct billing)

I am returning soon but will be on a Non-O so can choose the level of cover

My questions are:

1) Does anyone have any opinion/experience regarding going direct or via a broker?

2) What would be a sensible level of cover for living in Isaan - I appreciate that some people will say "as much as you can afford" etc but I'm looking for a sensible figure based on costs of surgery etc in North east Thailand

Any help much appreciated

If you don't have any exclusions on your current insurance you may be better off sticking with them.

The main advantage of a broker is they will/can look at more than 1 insurance company to find the best deal for you.  The cost is the same using a broker or going direct.

May I suggest CNX Insure in Chiang Mai . Better to go with a broker . They will find you the best policy for you at your age . Ive been with them for 4 years . Look up on Internet . You can ask for Andy . He is British . Been in Chiang Mai well over 10 years 

26 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Roughy what is the cost of this insurance?  And am I correct in thinking that there is no insurance requirement for a retirement based extension of stay?

If from non immigrant O visa entry no requirement - if from O-A entry visa the same insurance requirement as O-A requires. 

You need to be decide if going to use private hospitals or government facilities for cost.  Private will likely be high anywhere - but even government facilities may adopt a dual pricing system in the future (it allowed now).  So the old as much as your can afford is valid.  One thing is out patient care would be very costly from insurance so more cost effective to have good inpatient policy and nest egg for normal drugs/outpatient treatment.  

• Thanks 1

Definitely better to buy through a broker. But do your own resesrch first. 

In terms of level of cover, if you will use only government hospitals then minimum 1 million baht per episode. If you want the option of using private hospitals then   minimum 3 million baht per occuurence or 5 million annually. Inpatient only.

I am not clear if you are asking only about level of cover (with intention of staying with current insurer) or considering a new policy altogether? 

In terms of brokers I use AA  https://www.aainsure.net/

Jenny in their Hua Hin office hss given me great support. 

[email protected]

Doesn't matter that you live in Issan  can do everyyhing by rmail. 

5 hours ago, rwill said:

If you don't have any exclusions on your current insurance you may be better off sticking with them.

The main advantage of a broker is they will/can look at more than 1 insurance company to find the best deal for you.  The cost is the same using a broker or going direct.

That's the theory. I used a broker for years and they just gave me the same company to use year after year. I decided to look around myself one year, switched companies and saved a big percentage (on house and motor cover).

Edited by Henryford

8 minutes ago, Henryford said:

That's the theory. I used a broker for years and they just gave me the same company to use year after year. I decided to look around myself one year, switched companies and saved a big percentage (on house and motor cover).

Depends much on the broker

They vary widely in quality. There are some out there who indeed sell only policies from 1 company. 

11 hours ago, TimF said:

1) Does anyone have any opinion/experience regarding going direct or via a broker?

2) What would be a sensible level of cover for living in Isaan - I appreciate that some people will say "as much as you can afford" etc but I'm looking for a sensible figure based on costs of surgery etc in North east Thailand

1) Broker try AA Insurance Brokers

2) The insured amounts on the policies usually start from 5 million USD from my experience which would be more than enough.

The above said, mine was 16 million USD, there was no lower amount to insure for with that insurer. You also have to factor in rising costs, from my experience having been previously insured for 4 years, the annual policy cost goes up every year, they don't tell you that, but it will, e.g. they will send you an email telling you that rising costs worldwide have affected policy prices, therefore your policy has increased by 10%, 20%, 30%, then there is the 5 year age gauging increase which is clearly visible when looking at their charts, e.g. 59-64, then 65-69 and so on.

Being insured is one thing, and everybody should be insured in my opinion, however it all depends on how much your prepared to part with, and as most know from my previous responses, know that my insurance went from 70,000 odd in the beginning to 150,000 odd at the end, and the reason at the end was that the insurer changed underwriters, that said, I did have a pre-existing condition which was optional and I took it at the time as that is what I was looking for, however there was no possibility to ask for a excess/waiver option so as to reduce the policy costs and me paying the first xyz amount of a claim.

That said, I can get a policy with another insurer with excess/waiver options, but as they will not cover my pre-existing condition, I choose to self insure, a no win situation for both parties, i.e. unless I am fortunate enough to never have to make a claim, which I don't intend to, then it will be a win/win for me.

I used to use MSH Int'l. They were bought by LUMA.  I just turned 73 and uninsurable by them anymore.  They referred me to Pacific Cross.

As for the amount, I always buy 10 million bht.  No drama, no worries. 

I used Mister Prakan.  They are terrific. I've had surgeries and there was never an issue nor a raise in my premiums.

You can use my name.

[email protected]

I have been with Pacific Cross for a few years - at first it was to protect my assets and guard against immigration requirements should Non-IMM O require insurance in the future.  

Once I obtained a Long Term Resident visa I considered continuing the same policy, but the LTR initial requirement was for ten-months validity would have delayed my visa application for a few months.  I decided to demonstrate ability to cover medical expenses through retirement assets.

Once I was able to take another look at my policy and options I decided to move from the highest level of Premier to the lowest level of Maxima while retaining outpatient coverage but increasing my deductible from ThB20K to Thb40K.. 

I understand the aversion to outpatient cover here as typically outpatient costs are quite low and the cover in many of the lower level plans restrict number of visits and maximum per-visit charges.  Once I looked at the outpatient provisions in the Premier plan I realized that should I ever need continuing outpatient treatment such as Chemo, radiation, or physical therapy I could easily exceed my deductible and but exceed my outpatient allowance.  It made more sense to move to the Maxima plan which has much better outpatient cover and allow the deductible (and no-claim discount) to control my costs until I really need care.    

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, mudcat said:

I have been with Pacific Cross for a few years - at first it was to protect my assets and guard against immigration requirements should Non-IMM O require insurance in the future.  

Once I obtained a Long Term Resident visa I considered continuing the same policy, but the LTR initial requirement was for ten-months validity would have delayed my visa application for a few months.  I decided to demonstrate ability to cover medical expenses through retirement assets.

Once I was able to take another look at my policy and options I decided to move from the highest level of Premier to the lowest level of Maxima while retaining outpatient coverage but increasing my deductible from ThB20K to Thb40K.. 

I understand the aversion to outpatient cover here as typically outpatient costs are quite low and the cover in many of the lower level plans restrict number of visits and maximum per-visit charges.  Once I looked at the outpatient provisions in the Premier plan I realized that should I ever need continuing outpatient treatment such as Chemo, radiation, or physical therapy I could easily exceed my deductible and but exceed my outpatient allowance.  It made more sense to move to the Maxima plan which has much better outpatient cover and allow the deductible (and no-claim discount) to control my costs until I really need care.    

Most international expat policies cover outpatient cancer care and dialysis and day surgeries even though being orherwise inpatient only. 

• Confused 1

In my opinion, after an extensive review of many international and local health insurance providers I find them to be generally inadequate. Taking preventative medication, like a blood pressure pill means you are not covered for a heart attack or stroke. A previous colonoscopy, although clear, means you’re  not covered for intestinal cancers etc… While many receive great reviews for minor claims and for their, ‘let’s find the right policy for you’, if you review actual customers who make major claims they are aren’t that good. It seems they come down quite hard on their interpretation of what constitutes a pre-existing conditions. So when I renew my OA extension visa later this year I will find a  budget health policy that adequately provides cover for inpatient and outpatient care, in case of an accident and, as one person indicated, put aside funds to self fund for pre-existing conditions. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/1/2023 at 10:30 AM, Sheryl said:

Definitely better to buy through a broker. But do your own resesrch first. 

I have asked several brokers in the past for quotes for my personal circumstances, and most simply send a list/spreadsheet of all the available policies and premiums and told 'choose which one you want' The same policy premiums seem to vary from broker to broker.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnnieB said:

In my opinion, after an extensive review of many international and local health insurance providers I find them to be generally inadequate. Taking preventative medication, like a blood pressure pill means you are not covered for a heart attack or stroke. A previous colonoscopy, although clear, means you’re  not covered for intestinal cancers etc… While many receive great reviews for minor claims and for their, ‘let’s find the right policy for you’, if you review actual customers who make major claims they are aren’t that good. It seems they come down quite hard on their interpretation of what constitutes a pre-existing conditions. So when I renew my OA extension visa later this year I will find a  budget health policy that adequately provides cover for inpatient and outpatient care, in case of an accident and, as one person indicated, put aside funds to self fund for pre-existing conditions. 

BTW most people switch from OA to O visa to avoid the rubbish OA insurance 

On 4/1/2023 at 11:22 AM, Makoshark said:

I used Mister Prakan.  They are terrific. I've had surgeries and there was never an issue nor a raise in my premiums.

Is it the broker then who decides on whether a claim is valid due to pre-existing conditions, or whether the premium rises with age/claims?   I think not.

9 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Is it the broker then who decides on whether a claim is valid due to pre-existing conditions, or whether the premium rises with age/claims?   I think not.

Insurance company approves claims. The benefit of a broker is that claims are passed through them and they have a reputation to uphold. The insurance company is more likely to not be stingy with claims because the broker is passing through a large amount of policies and money regularly. Don’t bite the hand that feeds you.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Obviously broker has no say or influence over premium structure (though a good broker will inform of these and what to expect). Someone whose premiums have never risen likely has a policy with 5 year age bands and is in for a sizable rise in future when they enter the next 5 year band. Either that, or what he meant was not no increase so far, but no claims based increase.

Broker also obviously does not control insurance company's claims decisions but can sometimes help trouble shoot problems after the fact if any arisr. (Contrary to what this thread might suggest  disallowed claims are the exception, not the norm. People seldom   bother to post about claims  paid. And people with disallowed claims  in my experience  are often less than truthful about the full circumstances). 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1