Thailand Reverses Visa Policy for Tourists From 60 Countries

snoop1130

1 hour ago, zzzzz said:

NEVER reversed  its policy
when it began it was Oct 1-march 31st for 45 days, so even when it started it had an end date
how does that =reversal?

And if I recall from the start, no one was on the same page regarding this rather new voa policy. 

From what I understand, there was lots of confusion as to what is what and what isn't. 

Early on, they were just stamping people in with no purchased voa - paperwork or electronic. 

Perhaps, this boondoggle has been corrected or updated.....or not. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

According to the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), visa-exempt visitors will still have the option to extend their stay once for an additional 30 days if they go through immigration, allowing them to travel the nation for a maximum of 60 days.

Brought this up a couple of times previously without any real satisfactory answer.

How does one go about this when it is a requirement to have a return flight booking within the 30 day period?

Fine, change the stay options, but then there is the above problem plus any inter-connecting flight/travel bookings that need to be rescheduled.

Usually at a rather large cost and inconvienience.

Better all around to get a 60 day visa entry, which, as pointed out before, means Aus passport has to do a minimum "to Sydney and back" round trip also at additional cost.

The 45 day visa exemption was nice while it lasted.  Now back to the regular 30 day visa exemption.  It would be great if Thailand were to do this same program again later this year.  Just have to wait and see.  It's their country, they can do as they like.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, bluejets said:

Brought this up a couple of times previously without any real satisfactory answer.

How does one go about this when it is a requirement to have a return flight booking within the 30 day period?

By purchasing a throwaway ticket for around US$115. There is no need for a return ticket, just a flight out.

Fine, change the stay options, but then there is the above problem plus any inter-connecting flight/travel bookings that need to be rescheduled.

Usually at a rather large cost and inconvienience.

They didn't change it per se, the title is just a dog whistle they didn't "reverse" anything, a "special offer" reverted back to normal, as scheduled. The "problems" you alluded to are not much of a problem, now or in the years past.

Better all around to get a 60 day visa entry, which, as pointed out before, means Aus passport has to do a minimum "to Sydney and back" round trip also at additional cost.

Lost me there, as mentioned the outward flight can be to anywhere. Most real tourist (in the traditional sense of the word) do in fact go back home after a holiday so not sure the relevance of a round trip comes in nor why it would be at "additional cost"?

Edited by Salerno

12 hours ago, John Drake said:

So China and Russia back to 15 day VOA?

Well in the case of Russia I don't think so. Revert to 30 day Visa Exempt based on a bilateral agreement. Probably without the option of extension. 

11 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

And if I recall from the start, no one was on the same page regarding this rather new voa policy. 

From what I understand, there was lots of confusion as to what is what and what isn't. 

Early on, they were just stamping people in with no purchased voa - paperwork or electronic. 

Perhaps, this boondoggle has been corrected or updated.....or not. 

What confusion visa excempt went from 30 day,s to 45.And visa on arrival from 15 day,s to 30.If you find that confusing you must have very limited inteligance

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

Yes it was better, 90 days would have been even better.

I guess they got the high season out the way now they don't care at all.

The money is flowing into all the right peoples wallets and all is well, so why not make things a little bit harder for the average tourist and make them pay that 1900 Baht if they want to stay a little longer.

Oh dear, someone is on his high horse again. 
Relax and have a cup of tea.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Deserted said:

Why back to 30 days. 45 was much better.

No, I don't think so. I wish they reduced it to 14 days for all countries. Those who want to stay longer than 2 weeks are not real tourists. Many of them take jobs from local people and are involved in criminal activity!

• Confused 6
  • Sad 2