Recommendations invited for visa services for Thai spouse entering UK

I am looking for recommendations for reputable Thai company to help me get a spouse visa for my Thai girlfriend of 4 years. Preferably good English speakers so I can discuss options. I have tried looking into it personally but am convinced the UK government make it deliberately complicated :-(

13 hours ago, theoldgit said:

When you say your girlfriend wants to apply for a spouse visa, what is she actually wanting to do?

Does she plan to marry you and settle in the UK, marry in Thailand and then settle in the UK or visit as a spouse/partner/spouse?
As@soi3eddierightly points out, all the relevant information is on the UKVI Website, that will guide her through the various routes, dependant on what she actually wants to achieve.
If she needs an agent to guide her through the process I would recomend Thai Visa Express in Pattaya, he is the only agent registered with UK's OISC (Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner) in Thailand, though registration isn't a legal requirement in Thailand, and anyone can set themselves up as an agent and have English speaking staff. Thai Visa Express is English owned, top advisors and English and Thai speaking staff.

If you need the services of any Agent, it is ( IMO )  absolutely essential to engage the services of an OISC registered Agent.

There are a couple of Agents in the UK that are also able to help you as they have Offices here in Thailand.

Many Agents will promise you a good service, and then for some reason they will let you down after cleaning your Wallet of a load of Money.

I used an agent in the UK ( al be it some 17 Years ago ) called " Orchid of Siam" to get Visas to the U Kfor my Wife and Stepdaughter. If they are still operational, I would recommend these people 

Tony and his Wife, Lek  ( she was a Lawyer sitting in the Home Office policy office at the time ), are thorough and professional, and any application that lands on a Home Office desk in there Folder will not get rejected such is their reputation.

Good Luck

It doesn't end after you get the Visa; you have to be ready to deal with aggressive questioning on arrival in UK.

Before marriage I took my wife, then girlfriend, to UK.  I went through the UK Passport holder channel as directed and waited behind the visitor channels.  There was a choice of old man, young man, old woman  and young woman; I guessed the last one would be worst.  That's the one she got.

Imm - why are you coming to UK?

Wife - for a holiday,

Imm - where are you going to stay?

Wife - I'm not sure.

Imm - what do you mean?

Wife - I'm staying with boyfriend's parents.

Imm - who is your boyfriend?

Wife - he is standing behind you waiting for me.

(I was 39 but looked 49, wife was 29 but looked 19)

Imm - aah, are you going to get married while you are here?

Wife - no, he is already married!

I was in the process of a divorce from previous wife at the time.  Imm woman turned round and gave me the filthiest look imaginable as she seemed to think I was some depraved married Brit bringing back a young Thai girl unbeknownst to his poor Brit wife.

Couldn't prevent entry to UK as she had not only told the truth but had proved that it was impossible for her to enter for the purposes of getting married.

If the applicant is just your girlfriend and she wants a spouse visa with a view to swtlement, she'll  need to get a fiancé visa. I believe it gives your girlfriend 6 month entry, in which time you'll need to get married in UK.

No need to use an agent. The UKVI website is straight forward. Just tell the truth, give them the documents they want and follow the rules. Simple.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, UKSteve said:

I have tried looking into it personally but am convinced the UK government make it deliberately complicated ????

Of course they do, brexit highlighted the fact the UK doesn't want foreigners.

That aside you really ought to try and do it yourself, it is more tedious than complicated.

Do some homework and clarify what visa you need, info here

https://www.gov.uk/apply-to-come-to-the-uk

Visa applications are done online and you can have as many dummy runs as you want. You first need to create an account and then you can make an application.  There is a bit of a learning curve on how to enter information and you can work your way through the questions to find out what you need to prepare. You do not need to submit the application, just delete it and start over.

Once you have seen what is required I am sure someone will have an answer to any queries you may have. I have only done visitor visas, eleven of them and still as tedious as ever, but never had a problem, always best to stick to the facts.

If you go to an agent you will have to provide him with all the information so you may as well do it yourself, reality is all you need to learn is how to complete the application and navigate the VFS side of it.

On 4/5/2023 at 9:49 AM, sandyf said:

Of course they do, brexit highlighted the fact the UK doesn't want foreigners.

That aside you really ought to try and do it yourself, it is more tedious than complicated.

Do some homework and clarify what visa you need, info here

https://www.gov.uk/apply-to-come-to-the-uk

Visa applications are done online and you can have as many dummy runs as you want. You first need to create an account and then you can make an application.  There is a bit of a learning curve on how to enter information and you can work your way through the questions to find out what you need to prepare. You do not need to submit the application, just delete it and start over.

Once you have seen what is required I am sure someone will have an answer to any queries you may have. I have only done visitor visas, eleven of them and still as tedious as ever, but never had a problem, always best to stick to the facts.

If you go to an agent you will have to provide him with all the information so you may as well do it yourself, reality is all you need to learn is how to complete the application and navigate the VFS side of it.

What has Brexit got to do with UKVI rules which, incidentally, have not changed since Brexit?

Applications are not tedious at all. Takes all of 30 minutes to complete the application  and a further 30 minutes to upload the documents.

Once you have the visa there are no 90 day reports, no immigration visits, no TM30. Easy living.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

What has Brexit got to do with UKVI rules which, incidentally, have not changed since Brexit?

Applications are not tedious at all. Takes all of 30 minutes to complete the application  and a further 30 minutes to upload the documents.

Once you have the visa there are no 90 day reports, no immigration visits, no TM30. Easy living.

Well, not quite.  It's still necessary to apply for Leave to Remain which is not cheap, plus the requirement for another English test (B1) level and eventually the ridiculous Life in the UK test.

It might not be Brexit linked but governments have done their best to make it as difficult and as expensive as possible to settle a foreign wife/partner in the UK.

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Well, not quite.  It's still necessary to apply for Leave to Remain which is not cheap, plus the requirement for another English test (B1) level and eventually the ridiculous Life in the UK test.

It might not be Brexit linked but governments have done their best to make it as difficult and as expensive as possible to settle a foreign wife/partner in the UK.

Is it really that bad? Look at the comparison with the rigmorole of Thai extensions.

My wife's English is average. She sails through the English tests. The life in UK test is more difficult but there is now so much help online. Her and couple of friends of her's have been averaging 20 out of 25.

I believe leave to remain is in excess of £2000. Not excessive when you consider, unlike in Thailand, one can work legally on a spouse visa.

My wife works in Healthcare too so she can apply for IHS payment refunds every 6 months.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Obviously your partner does not have very much history.

15 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Once you are there, you have to leave.

Cannot prolong the easy living year after year.

Amazing how people want to come to Thailand free of charge and then complain about immigration policy.

2 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I did. You put Brexit in the same bracket simply by posting it.

History?

No you didn't.

This what I said

"Of course they do, brexit highlighted the fact the UK doesn't want foreigners."

Show me where it mentions immigration rules.

As for history, you have confirmed what I said.

8 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Once you are there, you have to leave.

Cannot prolong the easy living year after year.

Amazing how people want to come to Thailand free of charge and then complain about immigration policy.

I don't understand. Who has to leave and from where?

4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Once again, you are talking in riddles.

• 3 weeks later...

Did all my girlfriends visa applications myself, found it easy. We were married in Thailand a year before I applied. Later,  when her family came for a months visit again I did it all online for them and a couple of years later did their application for a 6 (6 of them) month family visit to UK, it was easy. Done it several times since and it gets easier as I already have all the information on file and just need to make minor adjustments. 

Edited by Dazkkk
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yep, another vote here for the do it yourself route. Never had any problems and I have done it twice in the last 15 years.

Using an agent is just asking for them to charge you for correcting their own mistakes.

Edited by themongoose
  • Like 2

Yes do it yourself. I tried an agent thinking it would be easier and quicker, after 10 days they hadn't even started the application, still asking for paperwork that had nothing to do with the application. We told them to stop and we did it ourselves, they never reimbursed us the money we had already spent either. 

• Sad 1

On 4/4/2023 at 1:57 PM, soi3eddie said:

A very broad ranged question. I would say, read the UK government rules carefully, several times, get your stuff (a lot of it) in order and do it all yourself. That's what I did with tourist visa 2000, fiancee visa 2001, tourist visa 2002 for mother in-law, 2004 for wife's niece, 2017 for new gf after divorce, 2018 and 2020. All succesfull. Just lodged another UK tourist visa for my current GF (Cambodian). Will be a month before the result is known. What can an agency do that you can't do yourself? (other than take lots of your money!). It's simply a case of filling forms, filing and proving evidence.

An update and quoting my own comment above. Today, my GF received her Cambodian passport by EMS with 6 month UK visit visa (multiple entry). She lodged the biometric data at VFS, Trendy, Bangkok on 11th April and the visa was issued on 4th May (reviewed by British High commission New Delhi who deal with Asian applications).

I was her sponsor and did the application for her. Uploaded 38 PDF files of supporting evidence. This included a covering letter from me outlining our history and intensions etc. Also, pictures together over the last 3 years both in Thailand and Cambodia. A copy of her Thai Non-O visa too. She's not working, so bank statements of hers and mine showing support. Child's school enrolment, her apartment rental contract. Translated from Thai to English where needed. Copy of my passport and financials too. Copy of our LINE correspondence (350 pages of text). 

Neither of us received any interview call.

Needless to say, we are very happy and it is always possible to do it yourself. Now, if only flights were less expensive!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2023 at 1:46 AM, soi3eddie said:

Uploaded 38 PDF files of supporting evidence. This included a covering letter from me outlining our history and intensions etc. Also, pictures together over the last 3 years both in Thailand and Cambodia. A copy of her Thai Non-O visa too. She's not working, so bank statements of hers and mine showing support. Child's school enrolment, her apartment rental contract. Translated from Thai to English where needed. Copy of my passport and financials too. Copy of our LINE correspondence (350 pages of text). 

And yet there are constant complaints on the Thai visas forum about the amount of paperwork required by Immigration here in LOS in support of annual extension of stay applications. Strikes me that this is a fraction of the amount required in support of 6-month UK visit visa applications if this particular case is typical!

In this connection I can certainly recall the mountain of paperwork which needed to be generated in support of a 6-month UK visit visa application for my Thai wife back in 2009 (which thankfully proved successful) - when compared to the relatively minimal amount of paperwork I have been required to provide in support of annual retirement extension applications!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/11/2023 at 2:27 PM, sandyf said:

No you didn't.

This what I said

"Of course they do, brexit highlighted the fact the UK doesn't want foreigners."

Show me where it mentions immigration rules.

Why even mention Brexit.

That was rather foolish and irrelevant.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/23/2023 at 9:50 AM, hotandsticky said:

Why even mention Brexit.

That was rather foolish and irrelevant.

Unless I am mistaken the thread is about a foreign national entering the UK so how can an anti foreigner culture be irrelevant?

It was always difficult for foreign nationals and particularly Thai but became even more so when Theresa May brought in the "hostile environment" and the changes that followed. Brexit merely confirmed that a large percentage of the UK population were in favour of keeping foreigners out.