Phuket Close to a Drought, Phuket Officials Urge Residents to Save Water

webfact

image.jpeg

Phuket – Officials are urging Phuket residents to save water as water resources are limited and Phuket could be close to a drought.

The Phuket Provincial Administrative Chief officer Somprat Prabsongkram told the Phuket Express that Phuket has three major reservoirs which are the Khlong Katha Reservoir in Chalong, Bang Ward Reservoir, and the Bang Neow Dam Reservoir. These three reservoirs will only have enough water resources to last until July without rain. Residents have to save water.

The highest risk for drought are 19 villages in Kamala, Patong, Thep Krasattri, Mai Khao and Wichit. These areas only had enough water supply until the end of March which means these areas are already lacking water supplies.

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2023/04/06/phuket-close-to-a-drought-phuket-officials-urge-residents-to-save-water/

image.jpeg
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2023-04-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Not a new problem. We are not even back to pre-Covid tourist numbers and the water is already running out before Songkran.

I am not aware of any new dams being built. It can't be a solution to always urge people to not use so much water. It is only going to get worse and worse. How about a pipeline from Phang Nga?

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Phuket is growing in population annually and with the influx of workers and tourists it's time the governor thought about updating infrastructure to meet demand.

Not expecting growing numbers to cut-back.

It would be unusual for local government to "think" about anything except more ratepayers.

Seems to be a pretty universal problem.

I see no reason not to be cynical when I look at the people that rule us.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

it's time the governor thought about updating infrastructure to meet demand.

From what I read it's not an infrastructure problem, but a lack of rain. Unfortunately for residents, Gaia cares not for the problems of a destructive species.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

From what I read it's not an infrastructure problem, but a lack of rain. Unfortunately for residents, Gaia cares not for the problems of a destructive species.

Lack of rain, you must be joking?

Did you not see all the floods a few months back?

Capture and treat that water they would have enough.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes, but that would probably cost billions of baht and we know why it's not going to happen, don't we! It's not like the inhabitants of city hall will be affected, will they?

Nature is just so annoying that it won't behave the way we want it to!

Time the citizens shook up City Hall.

Mass protests outside the office never look good in the news.

Bad for the image ... ^^

Just now, hotchilli said:

Time the citizens shook up City Hall.

Mass protests outside the office never look good in the news.

Bad for the image ... ^^

Not really the way of the sheeple, unfortunately. When Pattaya ran out of water back in the 90s people bought the stuff from tankers, but none demonstrated at city hall that I saw.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not really the way of the sheeple, unfortunately. When Pattaya ran out of water back in the 90s people bought the stuff from tankers, but none demonstrated at city hall that I saw.

I get your point... lethargy rules among the older generation.

At least some of the younger ones have half a spark about them.

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Put a water meter in every hotel room and make the tourist pay for it, and an electric meter watch them turn it off when they know they are paying for it, A/C going 24/7 what a waste, 

What a great idea, not!

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Phuket is growing in population annually and with the influx of workers and tourists it's time the governor thought about updating infrastructure to meet demand.

Not expecting growing numbers to cut-back.

Exactly my point. It's going to get worse. Not just in terms of water supply but also traffic. There are traffic jams every day on the main roads. I don't see any serious efforts to eleviate that.

3 hours ago, Goat said:

They are already building it.

Interesting, do you have some more information about it?

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

I think it has merit. Maybe just install a tank and pail in each bathroom to bathe in. Showers  use a magnitude more water.

Or just ask tourists to bring their own water, or buy bottled water at inflated prices.

On 4/7/2023 at 10:40 AM, Adumbration said:

Jesus.  And this has been the longest and wettest rainy season I have ever experienced since living in Thailand.  Phuket is done for.

Exactly. Last year the rain never bloody stopped (La Nina effect), this year is El Nino, hot and dry. You'd think they'd think, oh wait ,,

Anyhoo, my plumber yesterday told me Rawai was already out of water, hence pump keeps trying to dredge bottom of well.

On 4/7/2023 at 7:24 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

You are 100% correct.

Out here in rural Kamphaeng Phet we have had 1.3mm of rain since 1st January 2023. This despite the threats of summer storms daily.

On 4/7/2023 at 10:40 AM, Adumbration said:

Jesus.  And this has been the longest and wettest rainy season I have ever experienced since living in Thailand.  Phuket is done for.

Silly me. Here was I thinking that it is still the dry season.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, rabiedabruce said:

Exactly. Last year the rain never bloody stopped (La Nina effect), this year is El Nino, hot and dry. You'd think they'd think, oh wait ,,

Anyhoo, my plumber yesterday told me Rawai was already out of water, hence pump keeps trying to dredge bottom of well.

Was he a Thai plumber? I live in Rawai and my house is ok so far, 

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Was he a Thai plumber? I live in Rawai and my house is ok so far, 

Yes and a very good one, I've used him for a decade. He's always working so would know. I now turn my pump off during the day, it's hardly surprising given there's been no rain for months and this year is set to be very hot following last year's soaking wet. There was also an item in the News section asking people to conserve water as it's likely the drought will continue.

• Like 1