Please help with overstay?

Hello,

i am in Thailand on a 30 day visa but i think i will have an overstay of maybe five or six days

it looks like a short overstay is not very serious but i want to know if i can come back to chiang mai and apply for an extension even with that overstay

i guess i would pay the fines, 500 baht each day, but will they also let me get a normal 30 day extension after i pay or will i have to leave the country immediately?

im a bit worried so please let me know, and thanks ????????????

g

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, greenapples said:

thanks everybody, i feel a lot better! 

youve all been super helpful ????

But do go today before Immigration closes. After the weekend you would be on 9 days overstay (and a 4500,- THB fine).  And do bring a copy of the TM-30 notification with you which your Hotel or guesthouse are required to make to notify Immigration that a foreigner is staying at their premises.

• Thanks 1

I read a tale about somebody recently (since 1 April) arriving in Chiang Mai and getting a 30 day visa exempt entry.  They then are travelling around Thailand for some time and expect to be back in Chiang Mai 35 days or so after arriving and are hoping that this eventual overstay will not prevent them getting an extension.  Or maybe not, who knows.

1 minute ago, Red Phoenix said:

They can apply for a 30-day extension at ANY provincial Imm Office.  The only thing needed is your passport (with the Tourist or Visa Exempt entry stamp) and a copy of the TM-30 notification that the Hotel/Guesthouse where you are staying is required to make to notify that a foreigner is staying at the premises. 

I know.  But I was indicating that perhaps if the OP's situation was actually better known it might make answering/advising rather easier.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Nobody knows for sure

In this country there's rules and there's rules.

Different offices / different officers means different interpretation and different application of the law. 

As above nobody can give you a definitive answer.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you want to extend your stay in Thailand for an additional 6 days, you can apply for a visa extension at the immigration office in Chiang Mai. You will need to submit the required documents and pay the fees. The decision to grant the extension will depend on the immigration officer's discretion, but as long as you meet the requirements and have not violated any immigration laws, there should not be any major issues.

It's important to note that you should apply for a visa extension before your current visa expires. If you overstay your visa, even by a few days, you will be subject to fines and other penalties, and this may also affect your ability to obtain a visa extension or enter Thailand in the future.

So, to avoid any complications, it's recommended that you apply for a visa extension at least a few days before your current visa expires, rather than waiting until after your visa has expired.

21 hours ago, greenapples said:

i would like to know if anybody knows really

If you are on overstay now, you won't get any extension. You needed to apply for an extension a week before the month ends. You could be arrested at immigration if you go to immigration while on overstay. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, watchcat said:

And if it'll go south, they will give you 7 days to leave the country and return with a visa waiver. Overstay fines will apply of course, 500 per day.

They will not DEFINATELY give the 7 days refused extension and the OP would return on a visa exempt entry or a visa on arrival.

Edited by bigt3116
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Upnotover said:

I know.  But I was indicating that perhaps if the OP's situation was actually better known it might make answering/advising rather easier.

The advise is simple don't overstay, yes some people can forget, but Knowing, you can get an extension anywhere, and one is just to lazy, 'coz they read somewhere someone got away with it doesn't make it right, if it becomes a norm then immigration will clamp down on it, making probs for any genuine forgetful <deleted>.  IMO 

17 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:
22 minutes ago, The Theory said:

If you are on overstay now, you won't get any extension. You needed to apply for an extension a week before the month ends. You could be arrested at immigration if you go to immigration while on overstay. 

What you say is wrong

Why @Theory said "COULD" that is not wrong.