Thai hospitals: More tests, more money? What is it all about?

OneMoreFarang

A few days ago, a friend woke up in the morning and he didn't feel well. He lives near Sukhumvit Soi 1, so he visited the big hospital in that Soi.

They diagnosed a possible stroke. Now he is there for 3 nights, and the bill is already over 1 million THB.

Luckily, he has a decent health insurance, and he feels alright.

But he gets the impression that they make every possible test to check this and that. And when they test a lot it's not surprising that they find things which are "not normal". So now they told him another diagnosis and to be sure they want to make some more test...

The bill is rising rapidly.

In a way it is obviously good when professional doctors check what is going on. And professional equipment and tests will help to find out what is going on.

But it is difficult not to get the impression that the hospital does lots of things which brings them a lot of money. Maybe necessary, and maybe not so necessary.

What is your impression with situations like that? When you or a friend was in a Thai hospital, did you get the impression they do a lot to make a lot of money? Or did you get the impression that they do their best to work in detail to find out exactly what is going on and treat it as perfect as possible.

Are some hospitals known to charge as much as they can? And others known to do only what is really necessary?

To avoid trouble, I won't name the hospital and not too many details about this case. You get the general idea. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I ask what tests they think I need and the costs.

Then I say no to anything expensive.

Would you do the same if you knew your insurance will pay it?

Because maybe they do some expensive test and find something which was not apparent with not such expensive tests.

In a way it's easy for us to say: They only want to charge more.

But then, some of us think: Do everything possible to find out what is the problem and "fix it".

Most of us just don't know what makes medially sense and what not. 

22 minutes ago, Gaccha said:

Your friend chose Thailand's most expensive hospital. Soi 1 is Bumrumgrad; its name generates shivers in insurance conpany boardrooms. 

Clearly he did not simply sleep for three nights. He must have been in intensive care and a very difficult and challenging case. I would like to hear the breakdown of that price tag.

But still... why that much? Is your friend Arab-looking? 

It's the nearest hospital from where he lives.

He was at least on the first day and night in the ICU. Until now I don't know too many details because he is stressed enough with that situation, so I don't want to ask him questions which are currently not important.

I asked him about the hospital/insurance communication, and he told me the hospital asks the insurance before they do anything very expensive - so there is some verification going on in the background.

This case is just an example. I ask now because that came up now. But the idea about this thread is more about the general situation. It seems most of you think hospitals like to charge as much as they can.

It would be interesting to read @Sheryl ideas about the situation (in general). 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Celsius said:

I am willing to bet he doesn't anymore. 

Really? Health insurance can't just throw out a customer when the bill is high.

Of course they have conditions about how much they pay and under which conditions.

And about the 1 million THB. That's about 30,000 USD. Yes, it's money, but far away from real expensive for international health insurance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

As i said in another thread earlier today, a thai women's Thai Dad is in a Siracha hospital racking up 100k a day in ICU, it's in their interest to keep him alive as long as possible, in the meantime his lifesavings will be gone soon and the daughter left with no inheritance 

Which hospital in Sriracha ?

I assume Samitvej and not Phayathai as I just spent 6 weeks in ICU (Phayathai) and saw the final bill sent to social security.

10 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Which hospital in Sriracha ?

I assume Samitvej and not Phayathai as I just spent 6 weeks in ICU (Phayathai) and saw the final bill sent to social security.

ICU care costs vary greatly depending on the care required.  Someone on a ventilator will cost vastly more than someone not. 

• Like 1