Songkran - Reports from Pattaya

Danderman123

In previous years the police attempted, with the usual limited success, to ban the PVC pipes. They went around and confiscated some.

Didn't hear a thing about it this year, or about powder, so I assume it's now the classic experience.

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

In previous years the police attempted, with the usual limited success, to ban the PVC pipes. They went around and confiscated some.

Didn't hear a thing about it this year, or about powder, so I assume it's now the classic experience.

The PVC pipes were banned years ago and I literally haven't seen one since (in Bangkok).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

The PVC pipes were banned years ago and I literally haven't seen one since (in Bangkok).

In Pattaya they are openly sold as usual

post from yesterday 

• Thumbs Up 1

Good video up from NDTVI on the action in Soi 7, looks full on already, captures the happiness it brings to the Thais. Personally I avoid it altogether preferring a week by the pool with a good book, but I don't begrudge them their New Year fun.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Pattaya is not Thailand.

The official dates are as quoted by @IvorBiggun2

Up country the celebrations will finish on the 15th.

The Pattaya area is a circus in it's own right - Naklua 18th, Pattaya 19th (which usually means 24 hours non-stop) and Bang Saray 20th.

You are correct "Pattaya is not Thailand", however the OP states "Songkran - Reports from Pattaya", so specifically Pattaya, not Thailand?

• Like 2

On 4/12/2023 at 1:03 PM, HauptmannUK said:

I haven't been out yet but my wife says there will be no water throwing today.  She's actually right about most things, so I'll be going out later with no fear of getting wet.

Wrong, Soi Kownoi, Wednesday evening 7pm,  lots of  Water throwing, at motorbikes too...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Try going out after 1am, choosing some back streets to avoid water to do shopping, and on the way home, get soaked (and my shopping) with a bucket of ice water. Getting wet wasn't the biggest problem. It was my reaction to the attack after I specifically asked not to be targetted. I got off my motorcycle, grabbed the Thais head and dunked it in his tank of ice water... He wasn't happy and came out swinging LOL.

I try to stay home to avoid these incidents. Being hit by a bucket of ice water when you're travelling at maybe 30 - 40km/h feels like assault and brings out reflex reactions on my part. It is never enjoyable and it is not intended to be - hence the ice water to create more shock.

It's a time when a lot of low life Thai people get to attack a foreigner without recource.

You must have been upset...

58 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

You are correct "Pattaya is not Thailand", however the OP states "Songkran - Reports from Pattaya", so specifically Pattaya, not Thailand?

Yes, I certainly accept that.

However, it is not wrong to mention what the 'official dates' are. People will have different reasons for asking about Songkran - some want to avoid it, others are looking for where/when to enjoy it.

2 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

However, it is not wrong to mention what the 'official dates' are. People will have different reasons for asking about Songkran - some want to avoid it, others are looking for where/when to enjoy it.

Yes, agreed!

12 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Pattaya is not Thailand.

The official dates are as quoted by @IvorBiggun2

Up country the celebrations will finish on the 15th.

The Pattaya area is a circus in it's own right - Naklua 18th, Pattaya 19th (which usually means 24 hours non-stop) and Bang Saray 20th.

Pattaya of course is not Thailand. However as we are in the Paataya forum its safe to assume we are speaking about Pattaya. Any comments about dates for Songkran in any other region are irrelevant.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

Great. If I get ice water thrown at me on an unofficial day, I shouldn't feel so bad?

This topic is about reports of water throwing around Pattaya.  Let's stick to that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Walked back from Big C last night with a load of shopping and Soi 6 was one huge water fight . Soi Buakow not too bad but certain bars were throwing water . As usual it is the Farangs who get aggressive and soak anybody and everybody . I was trying to stay out of it and just walk home with bags of shopping but got soaked anyway by some idiot Farang guy . The Thais usually know who is a participant and legitimate target , and who is just a passer by .

• Like 1

22 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Where?

Yesterday drove to work near jomtien via the Suk, and back to Klang/sai3.

Went shopping in Foodland, didn't see any water throwing.

Hope to get lucky today also.

My work hours are 1pm-8pm.