Songkran celebrations turn sour: Over 100 lives lost, 1,000 injured in road accidents

snoop1130

Look at the picture that comes with the headline.. A group of people standing and playing like infants in the back of a moving pickup, with the tailgate down. Danger does not only become apparent after someone is lying in the road with their skull cracked open!

The primary cause for these accident is speeding  they say  ?There is  nothing wrong  with speeding  under the correct conditions   .. its those  idiots steering  their machines is the problem, as always, its a "me first" attitude, coupled with  so little driver education, and we have to  be subject to driver licence renewal every  five years is a joke.. 

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

i like my tea like my women--hot-black and strong

as before i preferred them like my beer..cold n bitter ????

That’s my point, as they were neither hot, nor black, but followed in their looks the Thai ideal, looking more like bloodless (white like chalk) ladyboys.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Artisi said:

Usual unbelievable normal out of control stupidity - and that's being kind. 

The whole of Australia recorded  about 16 deaths for the Easter weekend. 

And that number was high compared to the last 10 years.

High fines, high demerit points, random breath stations, increased police presence on the roads, speed cameras all over the place have really helped reduce the road tolls in Oz.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Forrests Father said:

I am here since twenty years and i haven’t seen a lot of progress.

it’s just copy/paste from last year’s headlines 

1) Death toll on the roads during New year and Songkran 

2) Flooding in October 

3) Drought in June

4) Burning fields and high Pm2.5 levels from Feb to May.

5) for cases 1 to 4 we get promises and guidelines from politicians 

Happy New Year

Your 100% correct.

2 hours ago, bluejets said:

I wouldn't start beating your chest and crowing about superiority here when you consider the population of each, Aus 26 million, Bangkok 11 million.

I'd say at that rate Aus is not all that far behind.

Plus coupled to the Fact Thais have to put up with 'Brake Failure' and 'Rain' as added dangers on the roads here, so Australia is obviously far worse 555

2 hours ago, bluejets said:

I wouldn't start beating your chest and crowing about superiority here when you consider the population of each, Aus 26 million, Bangkok 11 million.

I'd say at that rate Aus is not all that far behind.

Maths not your strong point, comparing Thai /Aus population, 70m/26m x 16 = 43 - seems to me to be a long behind. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lokie said:

Plus coupled to the Fact Thais have to put up with 'Brake Failure' and 'Rain' as added dangers on the roads here, so Australia is obviously far worse 555

Not forgetting the new symptom of micro-sleep. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:

It is number 2 in the world as per head of the population...behind some African state 

namibia..sorry not true this year.. looks like chad or DRC..data not clear..top 10 is africa however thailand is in there as the only country outside of africa

Edited by Zapitapi
wrong content

The RTP are useless. So much talk of sobriety checks and speed checks. I was in Huahin and zero zip nada. I saw 2 motorcycle police taking selfies in front of a 7/11. One good act was setting up a dangerous intersection diversion on Route 4 by Khao Tao. That was the only smart and actionable step and I drove quite a bit through Prachuap. I did see ~4 motorbike drivers almost fall over due to drunkenness. BTW The air quality sucks all over Thailand. Drive and Die, Breath and Die albeit more slowly. Apologies for the poor tone and cynicism. The topic deserves it. Trying to get a public servant, RTP, to actually affect a change is pissing against the wind. Who is held accountable for the avoidable accidents? It appears no one. What a waste of salary.