Tourist arrival ‘tax’ postponed, foreign arrivals drop

webfact

I understood links to Bangkok Post were not allowed in this forum?

Reading the full report, it directs  you to the source namely the B.P.

Edited by anchadian
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Amazing that for once, Thais and foreigners are treated equally, hopefully that will lead to that in the future foreigners will be 'treated equally' more often.

Only satatistically in this case so I wouldn't hold your breath.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

I understood links to Bangkok Post were not allowed in this forum?

Reading the full report, it directs  you to the source namely the B.P.

Admin can post whatever they like but the OP links to PhuketGo, not to the Bangkok Post from where the info was sourced.

32 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

According to the minister, the airlines have stated that they cannot differentiate between foreign tourists, Thais, and expatriates, and therefore, all passengers must be treated equally. The Minister had earlier said that locals and expats with a valid work permit would be exempt from the tax.

OK, then how are they arriving at the tourist numbers at all? Are they pulled out of a hat? 

And with Chiang Mai recently being declared as have having the worst air on the planet, in international news, and the rest of the country suffering from the worst airpocalypse in memory, could it be that word is getting around that there are healthier tourism destinations? Is this a case of "we have done absolutely nothing to address this problem, and now it is coming back to haunt us"? Lethargy, malfeasance, and incompetence and extreme corruption, all have it's price. 

Theoretical the immigration can count the tourist on the visa type they get. I don't know if they do but it would be easy.
But I would not trust any numbers, when you read how many percent tourism is from the GDP you find numbers from 5-25%.

Government can't even control the Taxi driver in Phuket to not rip off the tourists.....

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Thais, and expatriates, and therefore, all passengers must be treated equally.

The only way for them to treat everyone "equally* is to

A: Charge EVERYONE the 300 bht 

B: Make entry to all parks 100 % free to EVERYONE! 

The steady income from the arrivals would far exceed any national park yearly ncome in just matter of months. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Meanwhile, the number of daily international arrivals in Thailand has fallen more than 15% since February.

Ouch! Has this announcement been coordinated with the TAT? Someone losing a ton of 'face'...

Also, is the post-Covid-pandemic pent-up travel demand perhaps coming to an end, and being replaced by recession-fear travel postponements?

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Wiggy said:

The queues at immigration are already long enough without people having to pay to enter the country. 

You seemed to have misunderstood my post. I didn't actually address the payment it was about the numbers. Airlines might not know who's who but immigration does so surely a programme could be put in place to share these details and come up with a more accurate number of actual tourists. As for the queues already being long enough the payment will make absolutely no difference as it will be added to airfares or charged when getting a tourist visa if border crossing. Border hop probably have to pay at the border.

54 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

According to the minister, the airlines have stated that they cannot differentiate between foreign tourists, Thais, and expatriates, and therefore, all passengers must be treated equally. The Minister had earlier said that locals and expats with a valid work permit would be exempt from the tax.

OK, then how are they arriving at the tourist numbers at all? Are they pulled out of a hat? 

And with Chiang Mai recently being declared as have having the worst air on the planet, in international news, and the rest of the country suffering from the worst airpocalypse in memory, could it be that word is getting around that there are healthier tourism destinations? Is this a case of "we have done absolutely nothing to address this problem, and now it is coming back to haunt us"? Lethargy, malfeasance, and incompetence and extreme corruption, all have it's price. 

Computer routine.

Easy to programm.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1