‘License to kill’: How ‘Stand Your Ground’ gun laws are fuelling random shootings and racism across the US

Social Media

1 hour ago, BangkokHank said:

Most people? Really? Do you have some evidence to substantiate your claim? Or do you just assume that your opinion is representative of most people's opinions? And if you don't have evidence, your comment should be removed as misinformation according to the rules of the forum.

You right winger s really don't like research or facts.

https://news.gallup.com/opinion/polling-matters/268340/analyzing-surveys-banning-assault-weapons.aspx

Nearly half of Americans (49 percent) support a nationwide ban on the sale of assault weapons, while 45 percent oppose it.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/02/06/poll-finds-plummeting-support-for-national-assault-weapon-ban/

Below is a list of policies surrounding gun ownership in the United States. How much
do you support or oppose each of the following? Banning assault-style weapons
Strongly support 1056 53%
Somewhat support 243 12%
Somewhat oppose 192 10%
Strongly oppose 321 16%
Don’t know / No opinion 164 8%

https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000186-0e06-df27-abcf-8f6fd4780000&nname=playbook-pm&nid=0000015a-dd3e-d536-a37b-dd7fd8af0000&nrid=0000014e-f115-dd93-ad7f-f91513e50001&nlid=964328

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Dionigi said:

According to CNN the guy rang the doorbell, the owner got out of bed and opened the main door and shot him through the screen door, no mention of breaking in.

5 hours ago, Dionigi said:

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You only repeat the teenage black persons statement.

Do you have some problem which makes you exclude the elderly white persons statement?

And you have nothing to back up what the elderly white guy said.

I try to read and gather as much information as I can before I post.

Have you read @Dionigi post above?

If the white guy was so scared of a break in why didn't he call the cops first? Why did he even open the locked door?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

There has to be something to point towards a threat, in other to justify taking another person's like. Do these people look threatening? How many questions did this murderous fool ask first? And the kids? Where is the justification for that? 

America loves it guns and is madly in love with violence. No other nation in the world suffers from this kind of problem, caused by an excessive amount of pathological misfits, with weapons, a congress and senate that are sold out to the gun lobby and it's supporters, and the incredible ease of acquiring a gun. 

I guess trick or treat is going to be a bit problematic this next Halloween.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ozimoron said:

You right winger s really don't like research or facts.

https://news.gallup.com/opinion/polling-matters/268340/analyzing-surveys-banning-assault-weapons.aspx

Nearly half of Americans (49 percent) support a nationwide ban on the sale of assault weapons, while 45 percent oppose it.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/02/06/poll-finds-plummeting-support-for-national-assault-weapon-ban/

Below is a list of policies surrounding gun ownership in the United States. How much
do you support or oppose each of the following? Banning assault-style weapons
Strongly support 1056 53%
Somewhat support 243 12%
Somewhat oppose 192 10%
Strongly oppose 321 16%
Don’t know / No opinion 164 8%

https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000186-0e06-df27-abcf-8f6fd4780000&nname=playbook-pm&nid=0000015a-dd3e-d536-a37b-dd7fd8af0000&nrid=0000014e-f115-dd93-ad7f-f91513e50001&nlid=964328

It's not my responsibility to search for and post links to support YOUR claims.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

It's not my responsibility to search for and post links to support YOUR claims.

I never suggested it was. I made a general complaint that right wingers are allergic or something to providing supporting links for their claims. I didn't even reply to you.

Take aways:

1. You identify as a right winger.

2. You confessed to not liking to provide supporting links to claims of fact

• Like 2

Just another day in Florida

Florida Couple’s Car Shot At After Driving To Wrong Address For Instacart Delivery

“We were there for Instacart, we were trying to tell him, and he went about it the wrong way — instead of just calling police, saying I have trespassers on my lawn, he decided to shoot,” Thomas said.

Video taken by NBC6 shows at least one bullet hole in D’arville’s car.

The Davie Police Department told NBC6 that a gun went off at the home but did not identify the homeowner. D’arville said they spoke to a detective but were told no laws were broken because they were on the shooter’s property.

https://news.yahoo.com/florida-couple-car-shot-driving-214159696.html

10 hours ago, Paradise Pete said:

A couple of months ago I woke to the sound of someone trying to open the door to my condo. Did I shoot him? No, instead I said, through the slatted door, "What ya doin' there mate?" He said "I live here". "What floor do you live on?" I asked. He got extremely apologetic and walked up one flight to his floor.

One life saved.

And that is how decent folks, who do not possess a murderous pathological nature behave. Monsters and animals don't ask before shooting. They just slay with abandon.

America the great. #1. In the slaying of strangers. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

And that is how decent folks, who do not possess a murderous pathological nature behave. Monsters and animals don't ask before shooting. They just slay with abandon.

America the great. #1. In the slaying of strangers. 

Sad but true and the Fox fake news and the rest of their ilk are egging on this behavior.personally I support stand your ground with this caveat if you choose to use force you better have a justified reason for doing so and be prepared for some very very close scrutiny if found lacking then suffer the consequences obviously this last batch should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

So is this chunk of insane unjustified stand your ground shootings a coincidence or does it reveal an incredibly diseased society?

I wonder if gun crime is actually getting worse or if the media is just covering it more.

I'd also be interested in the demographics involved if it is getting worse.

12 minutes ago, 2009 said:

I wonder if gun crime is actually getting worse or if the media is just covering it more.

You can keep on idly wondering or you can look it up using google or some other search engine.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, 2009 said:

It doesn't have to get worse, it was abysmal in the first place.....:ermm:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, placeholder said:

You can keep on idly wondering or you can look it up using google or some other search engine.

Thanks for the prompt. I did find some facts:

"Findings

In this cross-sectional study of 1 110 421 firearm fatalities, all-intent firearm fatality rates declined to a low in 2004, then increased 45.5% by 2021.

Firearm homicides were highest among Black non-Hispanic males, and firearm suicide rates were highest among White non-Hispanic men ages 70 years and older."

The link:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9709653/#:~:text=Black non-Hispanic men aged,100 000 persons in 2021).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2009 said:

Exactly, a young man was trying to enter his property.

The feeble old man defended his property.

Yet the media painted him as a racist just cos he happened to be white and the other guy happened be black.

But when blacks kill whites, it isn't portrayed as racism by the media.

quote "Exactly, a young man was trying to enter his property."

Were you there to know exactly what happened?

All the UNARMED young man did was knock on the door according to the reports that I have read, and NO, I was not there either.

If this feeble old man was simply defending his property,

1   Why did he not stay in locked away and immediately call the police?

2   Why did he open the solid dood in the first place and shoot through the screen door?

3   Why did he not ask any questions before opening fire on an UNARMED person?

4   Why did he give NO warning before opening fire?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2009 said:

Exactly, a young man was trying to enter his property.

The feeble old man defended his property.

Yet the media painted him as a racist just cos he happened to be white and the other guy happened be black.

But when blacks kill whites, it isn't portrayed as racism by the media.

Are you suggesting that it's legal or even appropriate to kill any person who enters your property? How is that notion even remotely linked to stand your ground laws?

• Like 1