Visa run crackdowns?

One point I have just remembered could be related to your experience. Quite a few years ago, Immigration's system added a feature where officials were alerted if you had received a significant number of visa exemptions (from memory five, but I might be wrong) over the years, and instructed to screen you more strictly as a genuine tourist. This was at the time when the Thai authorities were concerned about some foreigners working illegally using border bounces to stay indefinitely in Thailand. I am guessing that the alert most likely still appears.

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

A visa run is exit Thailand and obtain a visa and reenter.

No doubt you mean border bounce.

Meaning exit Thailand and reenter visa exempt. Sometimes straight away.

Which border crossing was this and how many border bounces has your friend made. 

@DrJack54 In my past experience here, and I'm not going to argue the semantics.  While true, the person who travels to the border to get a new visa exempt permit to stay sort of does a 'bounce', the actual "border bounce" is a term that was (is) used for those who already have a Non-O (or Non Immigrant visa requiring departures every 90 days) and only need to leave the country and return to get a new 90 day permit to stay stamp.  See the person who is hoping to get another visa exemption may not be so lucky, so they ain't bouncing.  IMHO

So, "visa run"???? maybe short for Visa Exempt run. again IMHO

Back on topic...  I found it interesting the statement "I know many people have been doing visa runs for donkey years".  How long you been here @azt219?  Prior to the COVID panic, there were pretty established guidelines (still are on the borders) 2 visa exempts per calendar year (I believe), but I'm not an authority on that.  DrJack54, BritTim and ubonjoe are the guys to ask about that.  COVID's over, the old rules will be creeping back in.

Why can't Thailand make up its mind as to wether they actually want tourists here or they dont. They say they want them but the recent actions from the authorities quite openly suggest they dont want foreigners here, unless they are Chinese of course. I was bewildered all through covid as to the efforts the authorities made to get people to leave in one breath and in the other stated how to attract people to come to Thailand. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Denim said:

We are very lucky to have new posters giving old hands the heads up. Where would we be without their informative and helpful contributions..

Was that a typo for uninformative or my sarcasm alert is numb.

32 minutes ago, Denim said:

Good way to kill a forum though. Maybe trolls from other forum trying to undermine the place. Doing a good job so farn

Understand.

I avoid chit chat forums. 

I stick to this particular forum and sometimes visit forums such as Health forum. That forum is one of several with in the main serious feedback . Helps with mod such as

@Sheryl

Edited by DrJack54

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

As others have already posted, your OP is meaningless without more information, especially the land crossing used. The only thing that can be said for sure is that the Aranyaprathet/Poipet crossing has been involved in an ongoing "crackdown" for the last six years or so.

If it was Poipet he likely would have been flat out denied. Even legit tourists on their first bounce currently get sent to PNH Airport!

It will be very interesting to see what the Russian and Ukrainians in Thailand will do for visa runs when they have completed their 2 land border runs. 

The land border crossing at Wang Prachan had lines of Russians in March. 

Most arrived in November and I expect by middle of May there will be some announcement on changes and relaxing of rules to prevents overstays

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leon1980 said:

It will be very interesting to see what the Russian and Ukrainians in Thailand will do for visa runs when they have completed their 2 land border runs. 

If they are not already doing so, they will apply for tourist visas in Penang or Savannakhet. The queues there on certain days are already completely out of hand. They are set to get worse.

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

A long time ago when I made visa runs the authorities had different "rules" for different locations.

I.e. the bus was supposed to go to Poipet, but on that day that wasn't so good, so they used another border crossing maybe 50km away from there.

Obviously the best is getting a proper visa. And if you can't get that then use a company which does regular visa runs. They normally know about the current "regulations". 

That was a "border bounce", not a "visa run".

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, Leon1980 said:

The land border crossing at Wang Prachan had lines of Russians in March. 

Most arrived in November and I expect by middle of May there will be some announcement on changes and relaxing of rules to prevents overstays

Russians have Unlimited access to Thailand, based on Bilateral Agreement signed 2005.

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe that is what you call it now. But at that time, we all called it visa run. ???? 

The first change to Unlimited visa run was 2006, hence afterwards the word "border run or border bounce" became established. "Visa Run" ,nowadays is used for Visa application at a Thai Embassy. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe that is what you call it now. But at that time, we all called it visa run. ???? 

Depends on which crowd you fell in with. I was taught the terminology that @bigt3116describes, back in the late '90s.

Edited by Lemsta69
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

If they are not already doing so, they will apply for tourist visas in Penang or Savannakhet. The queues there on certain days are already completely out of hand. They are set to get worse.

Savannakhet has recently becoming stricter and stricter. Not an easy destination anymore.

• Like 2