Man discovers 3-metre tapeworm after eating raw meat

snoop1130

Screenshot_84.jpg

PHOTO: หมอแล็บแพนด้า

A recent surprising incident saw a man discovering a 3 metre long parasite in his bathroom. A local medical expert provided more information on the case, answering questions about consuming raw food and warning about the risks.

Yesterday, a Facebook user named “Soamnoi Toyfun” shared images of a long parasite found in his bathroom, explaining that he never thought this could happen to him as he was a fan of eating raw food. He was stunned by the nearly 3 metre long worm, wondering how it could have made its way into his stomach.

Subsequently, a renowned medical technician, Thanphakphum Dechkasdin, joined the discussion through his Facebook page “Doctor Lab Panda,” adding more details and raising awareness about the parasite issue. Dechkasdin shared that this was a tapeworm that came out of the man’s bottom. It likely originated from the consumption of pork or beef containing tapeworm cysts, which may appear like small, clear white, water-filled sacs similar to sago pearls.

The transmission of the parasite could occur if people accidentally eat it or ingest cyst-contaminated ‘soi chud’ (similar to Thai beef tartare), ‘larb’ (a sort of Thai minced meat salad), ‘lu’ (a raw Thai soup), or uncooked, fermented sausage. Upon digestion, the tapeworm larvae will break free from the cysts and gradually grow into adult worms, attaching themselves to the intestinal walls. Symptoms of hosting a mature tapeworm may include bloating, indigestion, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, and anaemia.

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/man-discovers-3-metre-tapeworm-after-eating-raw-meat-doctor-explains-risks-and-clarifies-misconceptions

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-04-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Fair guess ‘soi chud’ (similar to Thai beef tartare), ‘larb’ (a sort of Thai minced meat salad), ‘lu’ (a raw Thai soup), or uncooked, fermented sausage won't be coming in 6th on any future look how good Thai food is article. Bit suprised that larb's there as that's usually cooked. 

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

The guy should be the poster-child for Ivermectin, but seeing that it's pretty much been pulled off the market now.  ????  I can't even get it for my dogs as it works for both worms and other parasites like ticks.  But - bye bye.  The only thing available now is expensive medicine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, connda said:

The guy should be the poster-child for Ivermectin, but seeing that it's pretty much been pulled off the market now.  ????  I can't even get it for my dogs as it works for both worms and other parasites like ticks.  But - bye bye.  The only thing available now is expensive medicine.

it can be bought from India on the web and it is cheap. They mail it. I bought some for a friend in Canada and he told friends about it and several bought and it arrived.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He was stunned by the nearly 3 metre long worm, wondering how it could have made its way into his stomach.

???? Hello you ate the parasite/eggs & it grew to 3 meters inside of you by eating you????

• Like 1

Bit suprised that larb's there as that's usually cooked.  This is consumed both cooked and raw in Isaan by many people.  Beef, pork, chicken, seafood & fresh water snails and other assorted fish are all consumed the same way despite the dangers.  My Thai mother in-law died of liver flukes from eating raw snails from the rice fields/klong.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

explaining that he never thought this could happen to him as he was a fan of eating raw food. He was stunned by the nearly 3 metre long worm, wondering how it could have made its way into his stomach.

Eating raw meat?

How naive could he be?

2 hours ago, fdimike said:

Bit suprised that larb's there as that's usually cooked.  This is consumed both cooked and raw in Isaan by many people.  

So, no surprise then.... 

But yes, eating raw pork. You couldn't make it up. ????

When mum used to send me to the butcher to buy pork sausages as a young lad I'd often scarf one on the way home. But that was in the 1960s! I can still remember the taste, lovely, actually. ????

9 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

I liked my steak still mooing, but as I age medium rare is best for me. And Steak tartare holds no fear, to my mind. 

That's fine if you know where your beef came from, how it was raised, how or where it was butchered or even inspected, and how it was handled after that until you purchased it.

All those things are very often missing in Thailand.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

That's fine if you know where your beef came from, how it was raised, how or where it was butchered or even inspected, and how it was handled after that until you purchased it.

All those things are very often missing in Thailand.

Fair play to you. TIT. ????????

• Like 1

17 hours ago, connda said:

It's available on Shopee.    https://shopee.co.th/ยากำจัดเห็บหมัดสุนัข-En-Dex8000-สำหรับ10-20โล-i.237628505.22640468487?sp_atk=962ccdaa-cf8f-486d-9df3-3948a6049afc&xptdk=962ccdaa-cf8f-486d-9df3-3948a6049afc

• Like 1

17 hours ago, connda said:

Strangely all removed from Lazada and Shopee...I bought it there without problems before. A friend of mine felt much better after using it when he suspected he has something living inside him....Was like 30 Baht for 100 pills

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Eating raw meat?

How naive could he be?

Thailand is hot, but there are raw meat dishes in Europe. I ate once 1kg raw beef....no problem at all, not even heavy in the stomach....we are made for that as it seems

55 minutes ago, h90 said:

Thailand is hot, but there are raw meat dishes in Europe. I ate once 1kg raw beef....no problem at all, not even heavy in the stomach....we are made for that as it seems

And tape worms?

13 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Keep checking... >_<

Friend of mine took Ivermectin during Covid.....before he had a ball like belly. After he felt much better, lost 20 kg, looks much fitter....He thinks he had parasites that got away with the Ivermectin.....But I didn't want to hear too many details????

• Like 1

Not only eating it, can cause it, when you have touched raw meat, wash your hands. Always be aware what are your hands doing and clean them, use gel.

You can touch many things which could be infected by all kinds of "thingies" , which settle in you. Also even on vegetables can be ,,,

When I was young my mom always said wash your hands and then we did, mostly being grumpy then, you didnt had the time. But she was right and now i take the time to wash, priority. No im not fanatic in it, but aware. 

Ever been to Thai market? All women have to touch shrimps, hands clean?

Maybe not, but afterwards they wash in little dish bowl, where many already did. Well im still alive.

For that matter, MAKRO? Meat in dripping ice, wide open.

There is now a nature freak, biologist who came back from making documentary with 3 larves in his leg. Of course they were eggs first and he had no clue. But now he wants to experience the growth, to see what comes out and let them develop in his leg. Of course he has already an idea what. Ok, what ever you like.

On 4/27/2023 at 6:54 PM, connda said:

Huh, 'standard' medicine for parasites like this is Mebendazole, available OTC for about 60 baht.... trade name Bender 500