My firiend wants to buy a beer bar.

2 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

I have a bar/ restaurant, not in Pattaya - Some days i drink & eat more than the customers - My Mrs tells me that I'm our best customer.

I would never be a rent a liver for any bar. I personally wouldn't own one. I barely drink and I'm too old for that **.

• Sad 2

One reason I love AseanNow is that every day I can find a thread that trump's the pervious day for Stupid Idea. 

One caveat on that is guys with very experienced  thai wife with experience in bars and having contacts and business experience re bars.

I obviously won't name the bars but personally was frequent visitor to Udon Thani.

Many bars there with farang owners and Thai wife basically running the show.

I see this as more of a lifestyle than as a business - Running a bar / restaurant gives me something to do & focus on.

If i ain't drinking in my bar, I'm drinking in someone else's bar.

If i ain't eating in my restaurant, I'm eating in someone else's.

If i ain't watching the football in my bar, I'm watching it in someone else's - And spending more money there too on drinks.

I see my bar as an extension of my front room - Sometimes i close & just plot up & Chill out.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

I see this as more of a lifestyle than as a business - Running a bar / restaurant gives me something to do & focus on.

If i ain't drinking in my bar, I'm drinking in someone else's bar.

If i ain't eating in my restaurant, I'm eating in someone else's.

If i ain't watching the football in my bar, I'm watching it in someone else's - And spending more money there too on drinks.

I see my bar as an extension of my front room - Sometimes i close & just plot up & Chill out.

Does your bar make a profit ?

57 minutes ago, Regyai said:

The problem with " I think going to a few beer bars and just asking the owner might get you some answers." Is that you get jaded answers.

It calls to mind the old ruse used by those Spanish timeshare salesmen: "Dont take just my word for it, spend a day at your leisure here, sit by the pool & ask those who've already become owners". It's human nature not to want to declare to strangers that you've been a complete fool and and thrown your money down the drain pursuing an impossible pipedream.

I could take over  bars and restaurants from broken entrepreneurs, get them going, show them a successful fb page with great photos,  solid income on papers since start, sexy ladies and happy customers, start advertising the bar mid season, and  sell the bar end of the term, find a new one, start up before high season, and repeat

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Regyai said:

The problem with " I think going to a few beer bars and just asking the owner might get you some answers." Is that you get jaded answers.

It calls to mind the old ruse used by those Spanish timeshare salesmen: "Dont take just my word for it, spend a day at your leisure here, sit by the pool & ask those who've already become owners". It's human nature not to want to declare to strangers that you've been a complete fool and and thrown your money down the drain pursuing an impossible pipedream.

Good point.

I think it sounds like more fun setting in a bar talking to an owner than asking the question here. I have seen very few numbers here so can't hurt to try.

I personal waste my money in a bar as a customer rather than an owner. Why turn something I enjoy into a job and anther thing to worry about.

5 hours ago, ozimoron said:

All of that is under control and pretty much known. As I said, I'm really only interested in typical gross income and purchase / rental prices. Nothing else at all. I've run bars and been close to others who have also but not lately and not Pattaya beer bars. Again, not looking for general advice, just the top numbers. 

If he wants to run a bar, he should be able to find out these things by himself. If he can't then better not go that road.

5 hours ago, ozimoron said:

I'm well aware of that but if it was true of all bars there would be no bars. Nobody's charging into a big spend with the wool pulled over their eyes.

The most important part is how long of a lease can you get. You have to pay key money which will be a lot for a good running bar. If it isn't a good running bar and you work hard to make it one, the owner can stop the lease and take over the bar him / her self after the lease runs out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

How many beers would you need to sell to make 3000 Baht per day profit ?

10 bar fines. And a few beers and lady drinks. 

I think it would be a tough way to make a living and the hours are brutal. And whatever kind of novelty it brought, would wear off after a month. 

When I was living on Samui back in the day I often thought about buying a bar and calling it the Chocolate bar, hiring only beautiful women that had very dark skin, and when the beautiful light skinned women came in you could tell them sorry you don't qualify, you're too white! Offering all kinds of gifts and prizes and and incentives and free trips and things like that for the highest earning girls and creating a really fun scene, but that was back in the day, that's not going to happen now. 

Edited by spidermike007

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

10 bar fines. And a few beers and lady drinks. 

I think it would be a tough way to make a living and the hours are brutal. And whatever kind of novelty it brought, would wear off after a month. 

Is bar fining still a thing these days ?

Since iphones came out , these days its swap contact details and "call ya later" and cut the middleman/barfine out of the equation 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, ozimoron said:

All of that is under control and pretty much known. As I said, I'm really only interested in typical gross income and purchase / rental prices. Nothing else at all. I've run bars and been close to others who have also but not lately and not Pattaya beer bars. Again, not looking for general advice, just the top numbers. 

You are truly clueless

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Celsius said:

You are truly clueless

That's essentially key money and rent in various locations. I guess you probably own a bar which gives you the confidence to speak with such authority?

Edited by ozimoron

6 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Since iphones came out , these days its swap contact details and "call ya later" and cut the middleman/barfine out of the equation 

Some consider it alot less work to just meet, greet and bring her out. The back and forth texting is only for the hardy ones. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Some consider it alot less work to just meet, greet and bring her out. The back and forth texting is only for the hardy ones. 

It does take a lot of the lucky dip factor out of the equation.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

My best guess, most do not plan to take a lady out, it just happens. You would be a good example of being a cheap Charlie to let her finish her work to hook up. 

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I just don't get guys who want to open up bars to make a 100k baht a month.

For one, your stuck there, you have staff wages to pay, brown envelopes and all the headaches that go with it.

I have been trading on the stock market with 4 million baht for over 5 years now, I buy when the stocks I know are low and sell when they are slightly up, sometimes they open way up so it's a bonus to me, that said, I make 100k baht a month, you do the math on the return, it's crazy, that said, I buy no less than 1,250,000 baht of stock at a time.

The above said, I have no staff to pay, no brown envelopes and zero headaches to deal with, and I visit my local bar 3 times a week.

Self taught, and NEVER ever thought of buying a business in Thailand, let alone anywhere else, why would I, this way, I pay no tax and if a particular stock that I know declines, I wait for it to come back up.

Owing  beer garden or a bar in my opinion, is only for fools. Your friend should look at other alternatives, know too many farangs who have failed in business in Thailand, but each to their own.  

Nothing beats blowing your own trumpet!????????

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Hummin said:

My best guess, most do not plan to take a lady out, it just happens. You would be a good example of being a cheap Charlie to let her finish her work to hook up. 

The same goes for not planning to hook up with her when you get her line number. It just happens as well. And then things sometimes happen. Mostly when a girl stops her tac I think.

Edited by ozimoron