How good is Thailand?

Living the dream in smoke.  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, Furioso said:

There are a couple of months where the pollution is really bad that's for sure. Almost all of Asia is polluted like this, I lived in S. Korea for 5 years and it was awful as well. I lived in Tokyo too some days it was impossible to see Mt. Fuji. 

Add a few precautionary steps, like wearing a mask outside/stay inside with A/C on, during the really bad months and you probably won't suffer many consequences. 

Think about the tradeoff. Back in your home country do you have those miserable weather months, long winter, short spring, brutal summer, bleak fall? The weather here is mostly great. 

Are we going to live forever? Of course not, we don't even know if there's a tomorrow but we can choose a nice place to live. We're the lucky ones. 

I guess you are from the USA? what miserable winter months you talking about? I live in the west again and we have winter now, Day time temperature is a bout 22-24 degrees yes night-time it goes down to about 10, so I don't go out at night-time. I don't have an aircon or heater in my place my electricity bill is half of what I paid in Thailand. Don't get me wrong I don't hate Thailand at all I have holidays twice a year in Thailand, but I live better in the west.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, still kicking said:

I guess you are from the USA? what miserable winter months you talking about? I live in the west again and we have winter now, Day time temperature is a bout 22-24 degrees yes night-time it goes down to about 10, so I don't go out at night-time. I don't have an aircon or heater in my place my electricity bill is half of what I paid in Thailand. Don't get me wrong I don't hate Thailand at all I have holidays twice a year in Thailand, but I live better in the west.

That's great you've got the best of both worlds. I moved around quite a bit since age 17. Ever since 2011 I've been in moderate or hot climes, the coldest being as you describe(10 at night). Although I was living a better standard of living) in the west it was costing me around 4500 AUD a month and I grew bored.

Honestly I would consider going back to the west if it was like it was back in the early 90's when people were much healthier. My god they are so incredibly obese now I will never return. A morbid obesity apocalypse. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Furioso said:

That's great you've got the best of both worlds. I moved around quite a bit since age 17. Ever since 2011 I've been in moderate or hot climes, the coldest being as you describe(10 at night). Although I was living a better standard of living) in the west it was costing me around 4500 AUD a month and I grew bored.

Honestly I would consider going back to the west if it was like it was back in the early 90's when people were much healthier. My god they are so incredibly obese now I will never return. A morbid obesity apocalypse. 

fat.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, sidjameson said:

Think about this every day. I'm 55. I answered 3. But that's "likely" to be 10% of my remaining years. That's quite a tax.

Crazy to be willing to cut your life short by 10% for this.  There must be some better alternative

Edited by K2938
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sidjameson said:

Think about this every day. I'm 55. I answered 3. But that's "likely" to be 10% of my remaining years. That's quite a tax.

Air is good if you live in Phuket or Samui. No air tax there, on the opposite less stress, add a few extra years.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Living in Thailand may add years, back in the west can be miserable, cold and stressful to many. Poll needs to add years

Most Thais die a lot younger. Health systems in west are better too.

3 hours ago, K2938 said:

Crazy to be willing to cut your life short by 10% for this.  There must be some better alternative

3 out of 85 is about 2% overall. Dying at 82 might be better than 85. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sidjameson said:

Done to death excuse the pun. 

Pollution depends some on where you live in Thailand.

7 hours ago, Furioso said:

Think about the tradeoff. Back in your home country do you have those miserable weather months, long winter, short spring, brutal summer, bleak fall? The weather here is mostly great. 

Which home country are you referring to. Folk in Portugal or Cyprus or Canaries etc don't have the problems you quote. I guess you mean UK or parts of USA or Oz.

11 hours ago, Furioso said:

There are a couple of months where the pollution is really bad that's for sure. Almost all of Asia is polluted like this, I lived in S. Korea for 5 years and it was awful as well. I lived in Tokyo too some days it was impossible to see Mt. Fuji. 

Add a few precautionary steps, like wearing a mask outside/stay inside with A/C on, during the really bad months and you probably won't suffer many consequences. 

Are we going to live forever? Of course not, we don't even know if there's a tomorrow but we can choose a nice place to live. We're the lucky ones. 

The Uk is not bad for quality of air where i was raised in the south west of London . Mainly due to the constant changing of the  weather i think . I lived in Australia for many years and remember mostly Sydney for the bad air waiting for a thiunder storm to clear the air . Best place i lived in for air quality was Norway on the north west coast . I lived there 28 years and i am sure my lungs have had less damage as a result . Now i live in Thailand and the  air quality perhaps the worst i have experianced . Most of the year acceptable yet for a few months unacceptable . I wash the bad air down with chang and so far so good . Quality of life is more important than longevity .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, itsari said:

The Uk is not bad for quality of air where i was raised in the south west of London . Mainly due to the constant changing of the  weather i think . I lived in Australia for many years and remember mostly Sydney for the bad air waiting for a thiunder storm to clear the air . Best place i lived in for air quality was Norway on the north west coast . I lived there 28 years and i am sure my lungs have had less damage as a result . Now i live in Thailand and the  air quality perhaps the worst i have experianced . Most of the year acceptable yet for a few months unacceptable . I wash the bad air down with chang and so far so good . Quality of life is more important than longevity .

Norway is in general a green zone except some few cities during winter. 

Brazil east coast is great, if it was not for the crime, but they have clean air. Best for allergics 

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

Norway is in general a green zone except some few cities during winter. 

Brazil east coast is great, if it was not for the crime, but they have clean air. Best for allergics 

Just say the Brazilian coast as they have no western coast .

Norway is a country with around 5 million people providing clean air for most due to the low industrial level of the country .