Heat Pipes.

NoshowJones

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

Clean out fan and heat pipes once a year.

Does this refer to a desktop PC?

For a laptop I would better forget it and have it done at a shop.

In any case you have to disconnect/unplug and open the case/housing.

As I don't have heat pipes, just heat-sinks I can't tell whether you can remove and clean the fan easily/separately.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thumbs Up 1

Lots of youtube vids, just do a search. If you're talking about a desktop, Here's one of the few that will allow a vacuum, with caution:

Missing tools here are a couple of paintbrushes, great for removing leftover from the compressed air, attacking caked dust, and getting into crevices. Smaller one can get between fins of heatsinks. Paper towels, maybe dampened with rubbing alcohol or white vinegar to wipe out the dust. While you're in there you could remove the RAM and cards, notably the video card, clean the contacts w/ pencil eraser, and reseat.  

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Does this refer to a desktop PC?

For a laptop I would better forget it and have it done at a shop.

In any case you have to disconnect/unplug and open the case/housing.

As I don't have heat pipes, just heat-sinks I can't tell whether you can remove and clean the fan easily/separately.

It refers to them both. I have been using computers since about 1998 and never heard of this, you said you don't have heat pipes, how do I know if my desk top or laptop has them?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

It refers to them both. I have been using computers since about 1998 and never heard of this, you said you don't have heat pipes, how do I know if my desk top or laptop has them?

I occasionally clean my desktop PC as good as possible without removing the heat-sink (which requires new thermal paste applied).

Heat-pipes are usually found in highest performance PCs (gaming, video-processing etc.).
Not what you find in average devices.

How to find out?

1) lookup model nr. and search the net

2) open the device and have a look

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2023 at 6:24 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Heat-pipes are usually found in highest performance PCs (gaming, video-processing etc.).

Almost all SFF PCs and laptops use heat pipes these days because they can be used to move heat away from the CPU to an area where it's easier to run airflow through when space is at a premium.

You don't need to clean them though, they're sealed. For cleaning everything else, just get a can of compressed air, open up the system and use it to blow all the dust away.

• Thanks 1