Trump ignites fresh controversy after outlandish primetime appearance on CNN

onthedarkside

3 minutes ago, Tug said:

Trump spoke about that he doesn’t care if we default because he’s not president (he’s responsible for 25% of it btw) another words he’s perfectly happy to tank our economy to hurt Biden could care less about America or Americans 

What Trump actually said was that it would be better for the USA to default now rather than in the future , because it would be worse in the future , 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

What Trump actually said was that it would be better for the USA to default now rather than in the future , because it would be worse in the future , 

He’s wrong period all stop but he’s perfectly happy if it happens on Joe Biden’s watch he’s also responsible for 25% of that debt for his tax grift to the rich 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tug said:

He’s wrong period all stop but he’s perfectly happy if it happens on Joe Biden’s watch he’s also responsible for 25% of that debt for his tax grift to the rich 

You really do not have the authority to speak on Trumps behalf and you aren't his spokesperson .

It isn't true what you said about the debt being a tax grift to the rich , much of the debt was money given to pay for the Covid support of the people 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, heybruce said:

20 years ago, under Republican President George Bush with Republicans majorities in the House and Senate there were massive tax cuts justified using the argument that government surpluses would be bad for the economy.

Republicans only care about the deficit when there is a Democrat in the White House.  I can guarantee that if the next President is a Republican the priority will be more tax cuts, justified with the discredited Laffer curve.

Both parties are guilty - not just one:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/22/business/economy/federal-debt-history.html

Edited by nauseus
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Trump is basically the  "id" for politics. He is the IDGAF guy, says whatever is on his mind with no regard for the fallout. For a lot of people, that is attractive. Especially compared with the excessively careful, prepackaged and completely fake presentation that many/most politicians are guilty of.  Can't help but laugh at it sometimes.  Don't want him to be President again, but he IS entertaining.  

CNN did themselves no favours by simply recycling old questions and issues- 2020 election, Jan 6, and so on. Trump has answered these a hundred times and has a canned response ready. If the mod of the event had been more on the ball, she would have tried some more original and interesting questions, not just the same tired old tropes that we have been hearing for years. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Yes. But only one party hypocritically uses debt as a cudgel when not in power whilst ramping up debt when in power. See the difference there?

Yes. It's a pity the Democrats don't do more cudgeling to cap the debt too.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Yes. It's a pity the Democrats don't do more cudgeling to cap the debt too.

It wasn't a problem for the Republicans when they voted multiple times to raise it under Trump.

The Republicans might like to suggest exactly where they want to find cuts instead of just moaning about needing to. Then they'd need to face the voters. The answer to this is revenue, not cuts. Get with the global corporate minimum tax initiatives and repeal tax cuts for the rich and recent corporate tax cuts. 10 companies are holding up the S&P 500 and none of them pay much tax.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Trump is basically the  "id" for politics. He is the IDGAF guy, says whatever is on his mind with no regard for the fallout. For a lot of people, that is attractive. Especially compared with the excessively careful, prepackaged and completely fake presentation that many/most politicians are guilty of.  Can't help but laugh at it sometimes.  Don't want him to be President again, but he IS entertaining.  

CNN did themselves no favours by simply recycling old questions and issues- 2020 election, Jan 6, and so on. Trump has answered these a hundred times and has a canned response ready. If the mod of the event had been more on the ball, she would have tried some more original and interesting questions, not just the same tired old tropes that we have been hearing for years. 

"He is the IDGAF guy, says whatever is on his mind with no regard for the fallout."

I've tried repeatedly to explain why that it a bad thing, clearly without success.  I'll try again.

Imagine having a insecure girlfriend prone to over-analyzing your every word.  Now imagine that this girlfriend has nuclear weapons.  Wouldn't it be a good idea to choose your words carefully before speaking?

When the US President speaks, the world listens, including those parts of the world with nuclear weapons.  I don't want a President that speaks without choosing his words carefully.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Really? Then how come Mr. "id" avoided giving a straight answer to the question about would he support a Federal ban on abortion?

As for recycling issues, what do you call Trump's obsession with the 2020 election? If that's not recycling, what is?

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

It wasn't a problem for the Republicans when they voted multiple times to raise it under Trump.

The Republicans might like to suggest exactly where they want to find cuts instead of just moaning about needing to. Then they'd need to face the voters. The answer to this is revenue, not cuts. Get with the global corporate minimum tax initiatives and repeal tax cuts for the rich and recent corporate tax cuts. 10 companies are holding up the S&P 500 and none of them pay much tax.

The Republicans have suggested exactly where they want to find cuts. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

Really? Then how come Mr. "id" avoided giving a straight answer to the question about would he support a Federal ban on abortion?

As for recycling issues, what do you call Trump's obsession with the 2020 election? If that's not recycling, what is?

Perhaps because it is not a federal issue but one that is best left to the states to decide?

Just because Trump is obsessed, the media doesnt have to slavishly follow suit. Yet they do. Good for ratings I guess.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, heybruce said:

"He is the IDGAF guy, says whatever is on his mind with no regard for the fallout."

I've tried repeatedly to explain why that it a bad thing, clearly without success.  I'll try again.

Imagine having a insecure girlfriend prone to over-analyzing your every word.  Now imagine that this girlfriend has nuclear weapons.  Wouldn't it be a good idea to choose your words carefully before speaking?

When the US President speaks, the world listens, including those parts of the world with nuclear weapons.  I don't want a President that speaks without choosing his words carefully.

I agree it is a bad thing, that is why I said that I don't want him to be president.  I wrote that in the post you quoted actually. But it does explain his appeal.  Particularly when compared to a barely sentient president like Biden. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Perhaps because it is not a federal issue but one that is best left to the states to decide?

Just because Trump is obsessed, the media doesnt have to slavishly follow suit. Yet they do. Good for ratings I guess.

You're "perhaps" says it all. If he was a guy who spoke his mind and your suggestion was his reason he would he would have said so. iOr if you thought a federal law was a good idea and he was a guy who spoke his mind he would have said that. But instead he waffled around the question.

20 hours ago, xylophone said:

Now that is a load of hogwash, and you know it, because the actual purpose of a "Fact Check" is just that, what trump says is compared to the facts, and the majority of the time they don't match at all, mainly because he is a compulsive liar.

However with a view such as that which you stated, it becomes clear why the MAGA tribe don't know the truth from lies, because they don't want to, so settling for trumps lies suits their agenda. Such a sad group of cultists.

No, it is not hogwash. The part of my post which you cut proves it with credible links. Gas prices DID reach $9 under Biden as he claimed.

"Fact check "He wrongly claimed that U.S. gasoline prices reached $9 under Biden. The highest weekly average price under Biden was about $5 in June 2022."

Actual reality "MENDOCINO, Calif. -- If you think gas prices are bad here in the Central Valley, be glad you're not filling up in the Northern California community of Mendocino.

Schlafer's Auto Repair is selling regular gas for $9.60 for a gallon."

https://abc30.com/california-gas-10-dollars-a-gallon-highest-prices-in-country-mendocino/11932601/

So technically he is correct, yes OK it's not a national average but he did not claim the national average was $9. I'd say Trump is clearly more on the factual side than the fact checker. And most of the fact checks are questionable for the same reason."

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

I was in the Cenreal Valley 2022 and I was paying in the $7.00 gal range.

Average ca price is under 5$ a gallon presently that’s still way high other state’s average about a buck less it sucks wish the Saudis would play ball

6 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

No, it is not hogwash. The part of my post which you cut proves it with credible links. Gas prices DID reach $9 under Biden as he claimed.

"Fact check "He wrongly claimed that U.S. gasoline prices reached $9 under Biden. The highest weekly average price under Biden was about $5 in June 2022."

Actual reality "MENDOCINO, Calif. -- If you think gas prices are bad here in the Central Valley, be glad you're not filling up in the Northern California community of Mendocino.

Schlafer's Auto Repair is selling regular gas for $9.60 for a gallon."

https://abc30.com/california-gas-10-dollars-a-gallon-highest-prices-in-country-mendocino/11932601/

So technically he is correct, yes OK it's not a national average but he did not claim the national average was $9. I'd say Trump is clearly more on the factual side than the fact checker. And most of the fact checks are questionable for the same reason."

"He wrongly claimed that U.S. gasoline prices reached $9 under Biden. The highest weekly average price under Biden was about $5 in June 2022."

Q.E.D.