Stranded in Thailand: Bankrupt foreign woman unable to return home

snoop1130

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

But would she not have to get to BKK US embassy or do they have a consulate in Krabi ?

She would need to contact the embassy and the they would give her instructions on the process. 

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

To withdraw money would require and current ATM card or a valid passport, maybe she has neither.

Yes, depends how it was transferred but yes she would need ID to withdraw it or an atm or credit, debit card. It could have been via bank, western union or another service. Or she could have already pulled it and used it up or it was never sent.

Why would you have someone transfer money if you have no way to access it? The whole story smells of bs. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Sigh....

Just days away from the most critical election is Thailands history and this is the new feed we get.

Sigh...someone whinging about the "quality of the news published here".

Edited by Liverpool Lou

15 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

If the US Embassy actually loans an American Citizen money a notation is made on the passport.  This prevents the person from making an international trip until the loan is paid off. 

I cannot verify this, it was told to me by someone who claimed it happened to him long ago:  if the US Embassy repatriates a citizen they do so with a first-class ticket, and then expect to be reimbursed.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bendejo said:

I cannot verify this, it was told to me by someone who claimed it happened to him long ago:  if the US Embassy repatriates a citizen they do so with a first-class ticket, and then expect to be reimbursed.

"...if the US Embassy repatriates a citizen they do so with a first-class ticket..."

Not quite right, the US actually provides a private jet...and a stretch limo to the airport.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, eisfeld said:

No money for food but has money for canabis. Got $10k USD but "can't widthdraw". Probably married to a nigerian prince too.

The journalist writing the article could have spoken to her and question the strange circumstances but I guess that's too much work.

Well. as the loadies say, "Weed will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no weed." 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...if the US Embassy repatriates a citizen they do so with a first-class ticket..."

Not quite right, the US actually provides a private jet...and a stretch limo to the airport.

Not if you're entering the country legally. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, DudleySquat said:

Jail her for what? Please elaborate on your obviously well-thought-out solution. 

It's highly unlikely she has a work permit for busking, so there's that for starters.

It's also possible she's on overstay, so there's another potential option.

I'm not saying that I agree with the statement that she should be jailed, but there's almost certainly grounds on which it could be actioned.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, stoner said:

not sure you and me are talking about the same thing....but shot time is what the lovely ladies use now en masse. 

I hear you - you're in the city.....Waay down in South Thai, I was interested to be told that they have variations on what they refer to the services provided - short game, long game . Whatever turns their crank is fine with me. but you do know, officially, there's no prostitution in Thailand? ???? 

36 minutes ago, stoner said:

not sure you and me are talking about the same thing....but shot time is what the lovely ladies use now en masse. 

I guess that comes from shooting your bolt..:)

16 hours ago, keith101 said:

Maybe she can get herself deported for being unable to support herself financially and what about her return flight she must have had one to enter 

Many times over the years I entered Thailand with no outward ticket booked. Although one time I printed out and kept an 'edited' ticket/flight details, just in case.

17 hours ago, keith101 said:

Maybe she can get herself deported for being unable to support herself financially and what about her return flight she must have had one to enter 

Wow, a lot of this is going around.  I just got an email from another poor young lady in Nigeria who lost her suitcase and needs my help getting her back home too.  

• Like 1