Stranded in Thailand: Bankrupt foreign woman unable to return home

snoop1130

5 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Many times over the years I entered Thailand with no outward ticket booked. Although one time I printed out and kept an 'edited' ticket/flight details, just in case.

In the US, some of the airlines (United for example) would not let you check it without a return ticket, and it would turn into an hour long PITA getting it resolved. 

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I'm the same Sir. Nice to have good hearted people on the forum like you and me.

Sad story.

there are people who genuinely need help and then there are scammer.

In this story it does not smell right from start to finish

1. She went to buy cannabis but claims to have no money, only 20 baht?

2. Sister transferred money but she can not withdraw? why not? and from where? bank? western union? why not top up her credit card or her account? 

3. If there is some crazy reason she can not access the $10 000, why not ask the shop to send money to them, and they give it to her instead of asking to share her story on line?

Nothing in her story makes any sense, where is she staying? how is she paying rent or buying food? 

If sister could send her $10 000, which she can not withdraw, sister could get this money back, fly to Thailand and take her back home for half that amount

4 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

Wow, a lot of this is going around.  I just got an email from another poor young lady in Nigeria who lost her suitcase and needs my help getting her back home too.  

You as well.....how do they get our email addresses?

16 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

Jail her then see how fast she can sort her affairs. Beggars are pests.

How convinient of you to see this woman as a "beggar" but have mercy with the family of a British/UK national who is in ICU at a Bangkok hospital after he/she crashed his/her motorbike, without wearing a helmet, adequate protection or even an insurance, without a proper driver license and asking/begging for money on "gofundme".

• Confused 1

Biden and his cronies must be particularly proud of this chosen sample of "great American people". 

Why does not someone get her embassy or consulate moving instead of steamrollering this - factually irrelevant - story all over the internet; just asking? 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, BestB said:

there are people who genuinely need help and then there are scammer.

In this story it does not smell right from start to finish

1. She went to buy cannabis but claims to have no money, only 20 baht?

2. Sister transferred money but she can not withdraw? why not? and from where? bank? western union? why not top up her credit card or her account? 

3. If there is some crazy reason she can not access the $10 000, why not ask the shop to send money to them, and they give it to her instead of asking to share her story on line?

Nothing in her story makes any sense, where is she staying? how is she paying rent or buying food? 

If sister could send her $10 000, which she can not withdraw, sister could get this money back, fly to Thailand and take her back home for half that amount

1. The story says clearly that "she was hanging around the Cannabis shop to beg for food".
Not to buy Cannabis.

2. In my country, the court can block all your assets (including your bank accounts) when you have a case hanging.
Even money which has been sent to your BLOCKED account is not disponible.

3. I doubt that her sister would be so glad to send again 10,000 USD, but this time to the account of a complete stranger.

10 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

In the US, some of the airlines (United for example) would not let you check it without a return ticket, and it would turn into an hour long PITA getting it resolved. 

Yes, sometimes at Heathrow the Air Canada people, who checked in passengers for EVA Air did the same. Also in Australia. As I mentioned, I once edited and printed out a Bangkok Airways ticket for this reason, and it worked!. I was once made to buy an outward ticket (Bangkok - Penang) at Brisbane Airport before they would check me in. I then sent the ticket back to them and they refunded the money. (when it was still the old style paper 'voucher' tickets).

This rtn/onward ticket has always been the rule in Thailand, but the Thais only talked about enforcing it in recent times. (Over the last almost 40 years I must have entered/departed Thailand about 70 times).

26 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

1. The story says clearly that "she was hanging around the Cannabis shop to beg for food".
Not to buy Cannabis.

2. In my country, the court can block all your assets (including your bank accounts) when you have a case hanging.
Even money which has been sent to your BLOCKED account is not disponible.

3. I doubt that her sister would be so glad to send again 10,000 USD, but this time to the account of a complete stranger.

Let me help you since you struggle with clear reading

1. and i quote from OP " He said the woman bought cannabis from his shop and urged him to share her story "

2.No one cares what happens in your country, this is Thailand 

3. If its in Thai bank, she can withdraw, if its western union, can be cancelled, if its in her US account, can ask for refund and with account holder agreement can be done

4. Indeed why send it to an account of complete stranger, much better to have the same stranger share your story

So much for your knowledge and ability to read "clearly ehhh?

23 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

She should have HER sister book her ticket….. 

You are bang on the money there DJ.

She is a musician practising her craft.

Does she want to leave the land of similes? Maybe not! Living on the cheap. Occasional high. Free puplicity. Probably losing weight.

Edited by owl sees all

If she is truly stranded the US Consulate can provide emergency assistance in repatriation. Not sure of the details. More info is available on the citizens services section of the consulate's website or she can call. 

1 hour ago, bendejo said:

I cannot verify this, it was told to me by someone who claimed it happened to him long ago:  if the US Embassy repatriates a citizen they do so with a first-class ticket, and then expect to be reimbursed.

I believe it's an economy ticket and they put a waiver notice restriction on the passport so they can't use the passport for anything other than to enter the USA untill repaid. 

17 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

The story says clearly that "she was hanging around the Cannabis shop to beg for food".
Not to buy Cannabis.

• She will not be the last daughter of the leaf who will blow all her cash on drugs rather than think about going home when the cash is still there. It's is the precursor for the future that legalising MJ presents.. 
  • As to her sister sending money, I´m not feeling that vibe. If my sister was stuck in Thailand and ran out of cash I would not send her $10000. I´d pay for her ticket home and book a car from where she is to the airport.  
  • Sending a large sum of money to a stranded pot head in a country where MJ is legal is about as safe as asking a bar girl to look after your wallet while you go to the toilet.
  • I have been so poor that I had no money for food myself. I was forced to rely on charity handouts. When you have depression you cannot think rationally nor see the way out. This seems to be a cry for help which someone should answer. The last time it was missed as I remember a young man jumped to his death at Bangkok airport
  • Lets hope someone from her embassy sees this article and reaches out to get her home.  That´s exactly what they are there for. 

• Love It 1

18 hours ago, eisfeld said:

No money for food but has money for canabis. Got $10k USD but "can't widthdraw". Probably married to a nigerian prince too.

The journalist writing the article could have spoken to her and question the strange circumstances but I guess that's too much work.

Journalist if the stupid <deleted> would write it properly we wouldn't be wondering! 

We are suppose to hear her story instead we got nothing more questions than answer. 

How hard is it to ask a question and get answer write it as to why  10,000 can't be withdrawn. 

This isn't a journalist here in Thailand. 

Edited by thailand49
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

One wonders why she can't go to the US Embassy and ask for help, from what I understand the US Embassy does have a program where they will lend American citizens the money to get home and they have to pay it back, so what's going on here?

The US embassy does have a program to repatriate destitute Americans, but if for emergencies only, and is rarely used.

The lady has to show that she is truly without funds and has exhausted all other options.

The Embassy is not able to loan cash to individuals except under certain conditions. Americans seeking financial assistance must exhaust all other options first.

https://mh.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/emergency-financial-assistance/

5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

A proper reporter would have asked, but asking questions is not encouraged in Thailand, is it. A bit of a handicap for a reporter.

Steady on there Barry. This is an online English language tabloid puff piece in a country where the English language isn't afforded any notable status. Nobody's planning a murder, a gold heist or an insurrection here so no need for pithy investigations. That's reserved for rigged elections.

Oh, wait...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wealthychef said:

Wow, a lot of this is going around.  I just got an email from another poor young lady in Nigeria who lost her suitcase and needs my help getting her back home too.  

Just make sure that this IS a young lady. You remember what happened the last time when you were still a verywealthychef.

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...if the US Embassy repatriates a citizen they do so with a first-class ticket..."

Not quite right, the US actually provides a private jet...and a stretch limo to the airport.

After which one can apply for Federal loan forgiveness.

Is this a great country or what?

15 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Sorry for the woman if the story is true.

It's years since I've had 20 Baht in my wallet, matter of fact, I don't even know where my wallet is living, we parted company years ago.

My wallet is in my desk drawer slowly rotting away. There is no money in it and I cannot remember the last time I used it.

2 hours ago, bendejo said:

I cannot verify this, it was told to me by someone who claimed it happened to him long ago:  if the US Embassy repatriates a citizen they do so with a first-class ticket, and then expect to be reimbursed.

First Class?  No.  I have lived in 4 other countries besides the US and LOS.  I have also worked on several US State Department contracts which required a lot of time inside of US Embassies.  The State Department is a large bureaucracy. The only things that change over the years are names and faces.  DOS(Department of State) people are mostly elitists (they tend often mention that they went to an Ivy league school). Dealing with American Citizens who are in need of assistance is not a priority.  Therefore, if I went to the BKK US Embassy with a sob story a consular office will listen and then offer me loan so I can book the cheapest flight back to the US.  Of course this is after my passport is noted with a travel restriction until the loan is paid in full.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tell her there are many job opportunities at the Coconut Bar in Pattaya.  Always hiring.  Great opportunity to meet folks from all over India, Pakistan, Korea and China.  Reasonable salary with benefits.

• Haha 2