Thailand’s experiment with weed goes up in smoke

snoop1130

Cannabis divide deepens ahead of General Election in Thailand
by Mitch Connor

image.jpeg

Picture courtesy of @backpacklife.

The future of marijuana in Thailand may become uncertain as political parties contesting in the upcoming national election call for the repeal of cannabis decriminalisation, which has been in effect for approximately one year. Pheu Thai Party‘s Paetongtarn Shinawatra, a prime ministerial candidate, has voiced her concerns about liberalised cannabis at a recent rally, stating the need to suppress drugs.

The legal vacuum that emerged from decriminalisation has caused frustration among politicians and citizens alike, as the new industry was introduced before lawmakers could assess and pass regulations for its control. Some lawmakers believe the legislation proposed to restrict the broader use of the drug does not sufficiently limit recreational use.

As regulations remain minimal, Thailand’s cannabis industry has experienced rapid growth, with projections estimating the market to reach a value of US$1 billion by 2025, according to the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce. The outcome of the weekend vote has left those involved in the cannabis supply chain uncertain of their futures.

Many growers, including 60 year old Olarn Youkanchanaset, are anxious about their investments in the cannabis industry if the policy were to become threatened once more by political parties seeking to re-list the drug as a narcotic. 

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/cannabis-divide-deepens-ahead-of-thailands-election

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-05-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

12 hours ago, bignok said:

Coffee shops

A lot of them are already next to coffee shops. It is said, so many 'shops' sprung up and reflect an investment by someone in a new opportunity they thought there was. 

12 hours ago, Crossy said:

I made the mistake of trying to get a coffee in a Rotterdam "coffee shop" (I was young and naive).

I did actually get a coffee, and an education :whistling:

Partaking of weed is tolerated in the Netherlands and you can buy it freely from "coffee shops" in major cities like Amsterdam and Rotterdam, but try growing it yourself and you can expect a visit from the cops. ????

12 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

And what happens to all the Thais that spent money creating shops etc?

I read most shops are financed by foreign money. I believe it will be available but illegally with police harassment and bribing, thus driving up price. Legal thai bricks are available now for 300 baht/package (in 20 gram packages), and it used to be 1,000/baht for 20 gram packages when illegal. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

And what happens to all the Thais that spent money creating shops etc?

They will lose it, great news because you just have to look at who are the people behind that money.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, BenStark said:

You should engage a few brain cells before you make a comment like this again.

Have you seen what damage methamphetamines do?

And which cartel banks you gonna break? Yaba cost less than a fried rice with chicken

It seems you miss the jist of my post apart from that how much do 10's of millions, billions even, of fried rice with chicken cost? Maybe the brain cells that need engaging are not mine.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

12 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

To you?

What has your problem with alcohol got to do with the cr@p called weed?

Alcohol and driving/riding can be solved by real policing law enforcement. Second part; alcoholism up country, improve the lives and prospects of the people there. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, transam said:

The weed thing was a bad idea to start with, it is an easy money venture that a huge number jumped straight on the bandwagon.

Anyone with half a brain knows weed shops were a bad idea, as if there weren't enough junkies in LOS as it is.

But, losing their weed shop will be no different to the bars and coffee shops that come and go in short order, with no thought, just borrow and lose by the thousands...????

True. Starting a business involves understanding risk. Weed is controversial and most politicians want to get rid of it - even Amsterdam's famous coffee shops have been scaled back. Anyone who starts a weed shop should only do so with money they can afford to lose.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Crossy said:

I made the mistake of trying to get a coffee in a Rotterdam "coffee shop" (I was young and naive).

I did actually get a coffee, and an education :whistling:

If you’re wondering why they are called coffeeshops, the name derives from the semi-secret drug trade in cafés in the early 1970s. Mellow Yellow coffeeshop in Amsterdam (which closed in 2017) was the first to obtain a license from the City of Amsterdam in 1972.

https://www.holland.com/global/tourism/getting-around/information/practical/a-guide-to-dutch-coffeeshops.htm

• Like 2

Around where I live, seems like one shop every 50 metres some serious money being pumped into them, I really dont see the problem if it's off the streets people are paying rents on what normally would be empty shops, staff being employed making a bit of money, and no I dont smoke dope, 

I have to admit I dont see many customers in the places maybe lots of them wont survive, 

A few soi's down from me somebody has setup a cannabis farm if that what you call them, 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, IslandLover said:

Partaking of weed is tolerated in the Netherlands and you can buy it freely from "coffee shops" in major cities like Amsterdam and Rotterdam, but try growing it yourself and you can expect a visit from the cops. ????

Not really true. 

Cannabis in holland is available nationwide   not just in Amsterdam  and as regards growing  .....

"The authorities won’t charge growers with less than five plants. "

https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/blog-growing-cannabis-outdoors-in-the-netherlands-month-by-month-guide-n1293#:~:text=The bottom line%3A Cannabis possession,radar and are rarely prosecuted.

• Thumbs Up 1