Urinating

KannikaP

Please move this to the Health forum.

I have an enlarged Prostate, not uncommon for a 75 year old. PSA was 2.5 last month. Take Doxadozin & Finasteride.

A couple of weeks ago I was going for a pee once in the night and once in the daytime. Drinking loads of water.

This last few days, I need to go 2 or 3 in both night and daytime, as I did a few months ago.

What can have changed?

Edited by KannikaP
  • Confused 3

"Painful or frequent urination is a common problem, especially in older men. Urinary tract infections, kidney stones and prostate problems can all produce these symptoms. Frequent urination without pain also can be a side effect of certain medications, or a symptom of diabetes."

Source

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Possibly the finasteride has worked as intended, and shrunk the prostate. Then the doxazosin is working more effectively as a diuretic. Just my guess.

PM Sheryl to get an informed opinion.

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Possibly the finasteride has worked as intended, and shrunk the prostate. Then the doxazosin is working more effectively as a diuretic. Just my guess.

Been on those meds for several years. Will PM Sheryl if she doesn't reply.

I was unaware that Doxazodin was a diuretic.

Edited by KannikaP

Have you a way to check your blood sugars?  Diabetes can sometimes start at an advanced age. Worth getting yourself checked.  As a diabetic I have prostrate issues for which I take medication to assist with BPH. JUst some information for you.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/elderly-blood-sugar-levels-chart-5176546

Your blood sugar naturally goes up with age, which increases your risk of type 2 diabetes.1 In fact, more than 20% of the people diagnosed with the disease are over age 65—that's more than any other age group.2

It is totally not normal that you drink lots of water and only pee 2 times a day.

I drink a lot of green tea and water (and sometimes beer :whistling:) and I pee about 3-4 times during the day (once at night) and I have an enlarged prostate for which I am taking Xatral XL.

My advice go see a urologist, I can recommend this one, he is in BKK but as I am in Buriram it's a bit of a pain to go there but I have seen other urologist and you don't want to know my experiences with thm.

https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/doctors/Charuspong-Dissaranan

Also maybe it's a good idea to have a comprehensive blood test done (don't do it in Bumrungrad unless your insurance is paying) at least 2x a year

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Have you a way to check your blood sugars?  Diabetes can sometimes start at an advanced age. Worth getting yourself checked.  As a diabetic I have prostrate issues for which I take medication to assist with BPH. JUst some information for you.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/elderly-blood-sugar-levels-chart-5176546

Your blood sugar naturally goes up with age, which increases your risk of type 2 diabetes.1 In fact, more than 20% of the people diagnosed with the disease are over age 65—that's more than any other age group.2

Had a full blood test in February. Blood sugar was 103, within the recommended limits.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, MJCM said:

It is totally not normal that you drink lots of water and only pee 2 times a day.

I drink a lot of green tea and water (and sometimes beer :whistling:) and I pee about 3-4 times during the day (once at night) and I have an enlarged prostate for which I am taking Xatral XL.

My advice go see a urologist, I can recommend this one, he is in BKK but as I am in Buriram it's a bit of a pain to go there but I have seen other urologist and you don't want to know my experiences with thm.

Also maybe it's a good idea to have a comprehensive blood test done (don't do it in Bumrungrad unless your insurance is paying) at least 2x a year

I also drink green tea, Yorkshire tea, and have recently changed from Singha to Chang Cold Brew. Ah, maybe that's it! 555

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I also drink green tea, Yorkshire tea, and have recently changed from Singha to Chang Cold Brew. Ah, maybe that's it! 555

What I meant is that I drink a lot, at least 2 liters of green tea and approx another liter++ of water a day and I am peeing approx 3-4 times a day and 1 time at night max..

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

And again for the record, although Dr Charuspong is undoubtedly a good urologist, with a great bedside manner and speaks good English, he could offer no suggestions/solutions as to why my bladder doesn't operate at all? So don't build up your expectations if you do go to see him.

Sorry to hear that, maybe Sheryl could shed some light on this.

I recently went to see him (6 month follow up) and had a ultrasound and a flow test done and everything in my case was oke

Before (my first visit) I went to see some other urologist and long story short I could not pee without seeing blood for a couple of days, very very very uncomfortable, so I looked on here and got a recommendation for him.

And on my first visit when I mentioned what the other urologist had done to Dr Charuspong, he was also very surprised about the procedure the other Doc had done.

In my case I am very happy with Dr Charuspong only problem I have it’s +/-500km away from were I live 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

This sounds like the most likely reason. If you are drinking loads of water then peeing 4 - 6 times a day is normal. Twice a day is not.   

Just a very uneducated guess......but because this peeing once a day and once a night (which, btw, sounds a tad unusual) occured for a while only recently, I wonder whether the change occured due to you losing a great deal more fluid through sweat than you might have thought, due to the unusually hot & humid temps we've been having recently. I drink/drank loads of water too, but often got the bodily feeling it wasn't replacing lost fluid enough. And the peeing rate noticeably decreased....though not to once a day! ????

Should my guess be way off....good luck anyway finding out whatever might be the correct explanation for that peculiar peeing situation. ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Toolong said:

Just a very uneducated guess......but because this peeing once a day and once a night (which, btw, sounds a tad unusual) occured for a while only recently, I wonder whether the change occured due to you losing a great deal more fluid through sweat than you might have thought, due to the unusually hot & humid temps we've been having recently. I drink/drank loads of water too, but often got the bodily feeling it wasn't replacing lost fluid enough. And the peeing rate noticeably decreased....though not to once a day! ????

Should my guess be way off....good luck anyway finding out whatever might be the correct explanation for that peculiar peeing situation. ????

I'd say you've probably come up with the most likely reason. Like @xylophone above I self caterize and I noticed during the recent hot weather that my urine output went way down despite keeping up my normal fluid intake. If it all comes out through the sweat glands it ain't never going to reach the bladder is it.

• Like 1

What you report peeing from before was way too little and as it was extreme  hot season might have been that you were not properly hydrated.

Peeing 2-3, even 4 or 5 times while awake is fine. One would rather not have to get up during the night more than once or twice and that can usually be achieved by limiting evening fluid intake.

Less important than how often you pee, is if you are able to fully empty your bladder. Try pressing on your bladder right after peeing to see if it feels like it is still a bit full. If it is (somewhat full) then likely prostate has worsened and a return visit to your urologist is in order. 

By the way, are your ankles at all swollen towards end of the day? 

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I'd say you've probably come up with the most likely reason. Like @xylophone above I self caterize and I noticed during the recent hot weather that my urine output went way down despite keeping up my normal fluid intake. If it all comes out through the sweat glands it ain't never going to reach the bladder is it.

Yes, indeed.

Agree about the output, input factor. It certainly makes common sense. Whether or not it all makes perfect medical sense might be another thing, but....????????

31 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Which one, the outside temperature, my personal temperature or that of the beer?   555

Beer and medication make very bad bedfellows (literally) where prostate issues are concerned.

I gave up both a few months ago and took to self catherization instead. And I have felt much healthier all round because of it.

But, as @BritManToo says above, it's up to you.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, MJCM said:

How long did it take for Xatral to have a positive effect? I've been taking it for nearly 2 months without any noticeable improvement.

At 65 years I take zinc (15mg) and magnesium/calcium (250/65mg) for prostate and health in general.  Tried the Saw palmetto and it did not work for me, so went with taking simple minerals.  Relieved my need to get up and pee at night for the most part 

Swimming and walking daily helps with any condition as well.  Keep moving! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

How long did it take for Xatral to have a positive effect? I've been taking it for nearly 2 months without any noticeable improvement.

Can’t tell for sure, but certainly not as long as 2 months. Now when I pee my bladder is almost completely empty (tested recently with a ultrasound and a flow test). Before absolutely not. 

maybe time to talk to your urologist?

• Like 1

I've had peeing problems since my late 20s (I'm 63 now).  After a barrage of tests, I was diagnosed with weak bladder muscles (I'd love to know the correct medical term) and was told if it wasn't an embarrassment for me, I didn't need surgery.  I've lived with it ever since (taking forever to empty my bladder) although now as the symptoms mirror prostate problems I make sure I have a biannual PSA prostate examination.

It is getting noticeably worse in my later years, and I envy the powerful streams produced by some men.  Mine is a dribble at best and takes forever to start and finish.

I guess I have to live with it for the rest of my life, although some of the medications mentioned in this thread might be useful.  Any ideas?

23 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

guess I have to live with it for the rest of my life, although some of the medications mentioned in this thread might be useful.  Any ideas?

Never a good idea to start taking medicine that someone else is taking. Go to see an urologist and talk to him about it he can subscribe you the right medicine. 

Also please do note that AFAIK all the medicine for enlarged prostate have some side effects and that your urologist will (should) also explain.