Move Forward Scores Surprise Victory; Pita To Become PM

webfact

38 minutes ago, bannork said:

I think Professor Thitinan got it right. PT focused on their populist policies as usual whilst MF stressed real institutional reform.

FF and MF didn't come about because of Thaksin. Educated and politically active Thais saw there was simply no party interested in real reform in Thailand. 

Hence their creations, breaking on through to the other side.

......and bound to happen sooner than later. 

The revolution coming home - sort to speak.

4 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Very good. Thaksin will not be happy his hobby horse has stumbled. Hope this guy gets a chance to run the country without being stabbed in the back by someone or other.

Actually, this is what he hoped and expected. A coalition of Pheu Thai and Move Forward should suite him quite well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

The people have had enough, the kids are no longer afraid.

Let's see what unfolds in the coming weeks.

Let's see indeed.  After watching the global Mass Formation Psychosis around CoVid measures, I'm not sure that people are less willing to accept a coup if it means their anxieties get to be pinned on a boogeyman.  All the military needs is to find a Bad Guy that's sufficiently scary.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, StayinThailand2much said:

What if Pheu Thai says 'no'? And no, having the most votes doesn't take a party automatically into government, esp. if that party has only about 30% of the votes. But yes, there are numerous examples around the world where the strongest party wasn't part of a government, but instead was sidelined by coalition of other parties.

yes but the first get the first opportunity to try...and hand out the promises and candies so their chances are good

17 minutes ago, harada said:

It’s a bit early for anyone to be celebrating, they’ve still got the big guns and a very big bank account against them, sadly I’m not optimistic that things are about to change sadly. ????

The very big bank accounts are staying with them....Both parties are the parties of super rich oligarchs

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

It will be interesting to see how hard the new government led by Pita goes after the outgoing government for their crimes. No better way to prevent future coups than to lock up the perpetrators of the last coup.

YOu obviously must not see what such a plan does.  Look at how divided the U.S. is with all the petty crap.

In politics, you fight the fight for power.

When you win you are generous to the preceding party and consider they did their best.

Now is not the time to look back but to look forward.

Pita or who ever is going to be PM is going to need to unite the country in order to get support for the things they want to accomplish.

The backroom boys will be very upset.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, harada said:

It’s a bit early for anyone to be celebrating, they’ve still got the big guns and a very big bank account against them, sadly I’m not optimistic that things are about to change sadly. ????

I'm only glad that neither, Pheu Thai, nor Anutin's party didn't do too well. As for the repercussions of a new government for expats, we'll have to see...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

The country is ruled by an elite that stands behind politics .

If they feel threatened by the outcome of the election , they will do anything they can to eliminate the threat to them .

Look what happened in Burma .

I do not think that it will end up in a  civil war in Thailand , but I do not think that the transition in power will go smoothly ...

Curb the power of the monarchy , like proposed by MF , will  not be favored by some " persons of great influence and power " .

Papers will be filed today to remove the MFP and invalidate the election I am ssure.

If the courts are smart they will let the will of the people stand and stay out of it.  

Then again TIT

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, candide said:

In Thailand, an elected government has no power on the Judiciary and semi-Judiciary (agencies, such as the NACC). 

Ok, but the have the power to change the rules and laws for such system, and to make amendments and changes to the constitution, right?

Wouldn´t the result of such action, be the opposite to your comment?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Enoon said:

They are pathologically unable to "get the message".

This is only the beginning.

There is a long, hard, way to go:

"Oh! pleasant exercise of hope and joy!

For mighty were the auxiliars which then stood

Upon our side, we who were strong in love!

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive,

But to be young was very heaven!—Oh! times,

In which the meagre, stale, forbidding ways

Of custom, law, and statute, took at once

The attraction of a country in romance!

When Reason seemed the most to assert her rights"

The French Revolution as It Appeared to Enthusiasts at Its Commencement,

By William Wordsworth

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive,

But to be young was very heaven!

Though sadly I can't count myself among the 'young', and with a cynical nature that predicts a baptism of fire for MFP in the weeks ahead...yes, I'll revel for a moment in a bit of bliss!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

What if Pheu Thai says 'no'? And no, having the most votes doesn't take a party automatically into government, esp. if that party has only about 30% of the votes. But yes, there are numerous examples around the world where the strongest party wasn't part of a government, but instead was sidelined by a coalition of other parties.

First opportunity to form a government

They were also the largest party in the 2019 election until the E.C. got their leader and the party disbanded, so I'll probably wait a few months and see what happens, and don't forget the 250 votes in the senate, they probably won't vote for him.

• Like 1

Good luck, he promise change where have we had that before. My son voted for him he wanted change wants it now.

This Being Thailand,  I just smile didn't have the heart to tell him the truth. 

He can't even get his fat lazy ass wife to pickup after herself change is hard even harder when people are selfish.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

But the most important thing for expats: what will happen to the baht?

Looks like it is strengthening this morning.....to be expected if Thailand can enter a more stable and democratic era!

• Thanks 1