A guide to Thailand’s proposed departure tax

webfact

Should've not mentioned such a controversial scheme to the public sphere.......just have it mandated [automatically] into the individual's air ticket, as they have in the past. No one would be the wiser. 

33 bucks. I'm sure that would break the bank.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Should've not mentioned such a controversial scheme to the public sphere.......just have it mandated [automatically] into the individual's air ticket, as they have in the past. No one would be the wiser. 

33 bucks. I'm sure that would break the bank.

They can't have the airlines collect it through the tickets as it is only for Thai citizens and PRs. Same problem as with the proposed 300 THB entrance fee for tourists.

In the past it was collected by the airlines who have a government issued coupon that the passenger had to give to immigration officer at passport control.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"Penalties would also include up to six months in jail or a maximum fine of 3,000 baht."

I know what most people would opt for!

The Thai government has been quick to reassure people that the proposal, which dates from a four-decade-old executive decree, will not necessarily be implemented. 

Am I reading that correctly? The Thai Government making a proposal and in the same breath saying that it might not happen? Then why suggest it in the first place? It's a bit like saying that e.g. "We might increase taxes on imported wine, but there again, we may not!"

In my 18years of living here I have invested well over 20 million baht to the Thai economy and yet they still want more if they introduce this crazy new tax I will move to the Philippines which will be a bonus as my U.K. pension will no longer be frozen 

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The public have until May 17 to register their opinions on whether a proposed departure tax should go ahead.

Why did they not simply put another box on the General Election voting paper.

1) Who do you want to govern your country?

2) Should locals pay Bht 1000 to go on holiday?

3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

So if I book a flight for me & the GF, she has to pay the tax & I don't... How's that going to work when booking online

The Philippines has two 'Departure' taxes. One is paid by everyone and has been included in the ticket price for many years. 

The other is called a 'Travel Tax' paid by all Filipinos and foreigners who have stayed more than a year since their last entry. It is 1,620 pesos

There are collection booths at the airport tho some airlines let you pay when booking online. When I book flights for GF and I it allows me to pay TT for her and decline to pay for me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

In my 18years of living here I have invested well over 20 million baht to the Thai economy and yet they still want more if they introduce this crazy new tax I will move to the Philippines which will be a bonus as my U.K. pension will no longer be frozen 

Bout 90,000 baht a month.... Hardly a big spender are you.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1