Trump’s White House lawyer predicts he’ll end up in jail as Mar-a-Lago probe heats up

Social Media

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Hope so but I'm afraid there will be at least one stealth maga cult member on any jury making it impossible to convict him of anything.

That is a possibility but I take heart in the fact of how fast a jury absolutely flushed him in 3 hours no less in the Jen Carroll trial.They have him dead to rights on the doc case + obstruction all easily proven not to mention the Georgia voter scam or his attempted coup on j6.another thought do they know what he did with the stolen secrets?if the feds can prove any wrongdoing there oh boy!it will hit the fan big time!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

And let's not get too carried away with the fantasy of Trump going to prison.

Where did I assert or posit that Trump was going to prison. However, that you call it a fantasy, rather than a possibility, tells us where you're coming from.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, mikebike said:

So you would prefer that the makeup of the jury NOT reflect the makeup of society. Interesting. ????

For the EX president, it makes sense that political bias doesn't affect the course of justice, so I'd say 50/50.

What are the number now anyway? 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Have you considered that President Trump might have a stronger case than biden because a)Trump was President when he allegedly took the documents, rather than just a senator, and b)the documents Trump had were in a safe locked room in a highly guarded luxury estate rather than in a garage in a house rented by Hunter Biden?(1)

I'm just saying it's not a black and white situation like you are saying. Also no need for the standard "kool aid" insults IMO. Let's try and discus issues like adults on this world news discussion forum instead of resorting to playground insults.

1)https://nypost.com/2023/01/13/hunter-biden-lived-at-delaware-home-where-classified-docs-were-kept/

You might want to understand that the rules for declassifying a classified document are not as simple as Trump says they are.  He can not just say he thought about declassifying them and so now they are  In fact he was asked not once, not twice but he was then served a subpoena to return the documents in his possession to the National archives.  That is why he is in the cross hairs Sir. No other reason.

Trump Reacts to Bill Barr's Remarks on Classified Documents Probe (newsweek.com)

"It's very clear that he had no business having those documents," the former attorney general added. "He was given a long time to send them back and he was—they were subpoenaed. And if there's any games being played there, he's going to be very exposed."

CNN also reported on Thursday that the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) informed Trump that 16 records would be handed over to Smith, allegedly showing that the former president and his top advisers had knowledge of the correct declassification process while he was president.

Aronberg said this development is "significant" as it shows the former president's intent on keeping the documents in his possession.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 2009 said:

For the EX president, it makes sense that political bias doesn't affect the course of justice, so I'd say 50/50.

What are the number now anyway? 

I don't know if it is worthwhile going down this road but... 

A "jury of your peers" is considered by legal philosophers as an average cross-section of society. Every society has individual biases. By trying to filter out "political bias" you are no longer reflecting the opinion of a representative cross-section of society. YOU have actually introduced the bias.

• Like 2

The Jury Of One's Peers notion comes from the 6th Amendment from the US Constitution in part:

Sixth Amendment  Rights in Criminal Prosecutions
In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, ...

https://constitution.congress.gov/browse/amendment-6/

So it's also a matter of geography.

Edited by jerrymahoney

1 hour ago, mikebike said:

By trying to filter out "political bias" you are no longer reflecting the opinion of a representative cross-section of society.

This is a logical fallacy, lol

The very way juries are selected is to filter out any biases.

1 hour ago, mikebike said:

YOU have actually introduced the bias.

Actually, I started talking about this with a poster who suggested there shouldn't even be one MAGA person on the jury.

I didn't see you complain about that. Lol

I suggested, in response to him, that given it's the EX president and he may be running for office again today an even split jury would be fair as it's a rather unusual set of circumstances.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I like your reply, and it may well be a fruitless task trying to discuss things with this poster, because when I suggested in another post that Magas believe in and are driven by trump's lies, his response was.......... 

"What lies?". 

I rest my case.

Exactly.

But just being a republican who voted  for Trump should not necessarily disqualify. Not all those that voted for Trump are magas. But as is obvious maga is a cult and its based on worship of a Messianic leader with the belief he can do no wrong. So magas would not be capable of being impartial jurors in a Trump case.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, placeholder said:

It is even possible for you to acknowledge what the law says about the Trump's possession vs. Biden's?

First off, to prove that someone is criminally responsible for not following NARA's rules, it has to be shown that the party has knowingly violated them. Got any evidence that Biden knew? There's a huge amount of evidence that Trump did. 

It's also a violation of the law to refuse to return documents when NARA asks for them. Did NARA ever ask Biden to return documents. Are  you going to deny that it asked Trump to do so?

And then there's the question of obstruction of justice. In this case, lying about possession of documents. Trump's lawyer signed a document claiming that all documents had been returned. That was false. Now, maybe, that lawyer decided all on her own to sign a document prepared by another of Trump's lawyers who just assumed that this was true without asking Trump.. Or just maybe, just possibly, might there be a scintilla of a chance that the lawyers in question actually based that letter on lies that Trump told them?

Not that it's even relevant, but there was no actual security for the documents apart from a CCTV video camera. No human guards were posted. And are you claiming that all the guests that enter Mar a Lago are extensively vetted as regards their backgrounds?

It is a waste of time to try and deal in facts with someone who uses terms like trump "allegedly took documents" and that said documents were stored in a "safe" environment at mar largo after docs were found even in trumps desk drawer and Mar Lago is not exactly fort knox.....which of course makes no difference as the docs were never supposed to be there anyway and were not returned when asked repeatedly and lied to repeatedly until a subpoena was required to go get the docs that trump claimed  and his lawyer swore in writing were not there......amazing how some just flat out defend the dear leader and disregard the "FACTS" that have been documented over and over.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 5:54 AM, billd766 said:

Really?

I was under the impression that Trump's last day in office was the morning of January 6th 2020.

The office of President and Vice President officially ends at 12:00 noon on Jan 20

That's why you see second term winners taking the oath of office again.

• Thanks 1