Ownership nightmare: British buyer’s 15 million baht condo purchase in Koh Samui hits legal roadblock

snoop1130

2 minutes ago, Older and Wiser said:

I bought a condo in South Cha-Am, agent was fellow Brit and seller was Swedish. No problems at all. Perhaps that tells you something?

Most purchases go thru without a hitch, if you use a reputable agent and lawyer!

• Like 1

Just now, jacko45k said:

If you buy and die (and one is inevitable), the money is lost too. Could have some fun with it in the interim. 

Fully agree with you! Here in Thailand, what with the traffic, crazy drivers, crazy motorcyclists etc it can be risky to live here! Problem is anyone could die tomorrow, we just don't know!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, simon43 said:

Don't hand over any money unless you receive the full ownership documents immediately by return.  (Yes, I made this mistake 20 years ago when I handed over 2.5 million baht for a rai of land (in my Thai wife's name). The cash was handed to the lawyer in Phuket, but the Thai owner actually dropped dead of a heart attack as he was going to the land office to sign the sale papers over to my wife. The (foreign) lawyer based in Phuket handed my cash over to the owner's family and they refused to sign over the land to my wife.....  I wasted THBTHBTHB trying to complete that contract, never got ownership of the land....

Crikey and you managed to survive somehow?

• Confused 1

59 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I found Australians are just the same 

Strange how there are very few houses on the Australian market, new and used, I don't know where you get your info from, there is a housing crisis in all states... your argument is irrelevant to this article.

Edited by Aussie999

14 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

It just seems a bit daft a man of his age getting involved in buying a condo at that kind of money.

+1.

That much money at that age. not the best choice.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, tgw said:

some rules:

- have a reputable real estate lawyer do all the due diligence (construction permit, check property deeds, does the seller actually own what he sells, is it free of mortgages, right of passage, correct land category, certificates of conformity of the construction, etc.)

- don't buy any expensive real estate that doesn't have a Chanote (lower grade titles can be ok for some agricultural land)

- use cashier cheques

- simultaneous transactions and transfer papers signed with witnesses at the land office only

there is someone who always reacts with a confused emoticon to all my posts, even such clear-cut ones as this, lol. ????

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I bought most of my Thai properties of the plan. 

I have not had any issues or regrets. 

It's the luck of the draw. 

We bought 2 condos. One in no problems at all and we are very happy with it.  

The other... we have been conned similar to the man in the OP.  We now have a hotel renting out our condo and taking all the money whike we have no access to it and no title deeds. 

These con people are very clever...that is how they can do these things.  It's easy to make comments when you have no personal experience.

And yes, we even had a lawyer look over everything and all the contracts signed... Makes no difference. 

Very stressful and depressing. The lawyers and the con artists have ways to drag it out for ever.. All the time making money out of us. 

Now we are going to just walk away. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I bought most of my Thai properties of the plan. 

I have not had any issues or regrets. 

Good for you

I bought used Thai condo. After staying in a borrowed room sevral times 2 doors down in high season and low season. Still I never ever invested more than I could afford to lose.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Darksidedude said:

you need a good lawyer to do all the checks otherwise forget it, i have been using the same one for 20 years 50 k baht cost is worth it 

WOW! I only paid 5,000 baht for my lawyer. My friend also paid 5,000 for his condo. I found the lawyer in the Pattaya land office settling another property sale.