It’s a scary time for us’: Florida Pride organizers on edge amid safety fears

onthedarkside

On 6/3/2023 at 11:21 AM, Jingthing said:

The US is creeping towards fascism.

If Trump or DeSantis takes power in 24 American democracy is finished 

True, not a good sign having these 2 vying for the POTUS ....long way to first primary in February 2024 though.

The whole categorizing is what is wrong IMO.  

Human pride month instead of Pride month..  Human history month instead of Black History Month.  Do we need to categorize every month with a "cause" or agenda?

It is time to accept and move forward with logic, not fear.   We have lived with diversity our whole lives, just accept it.  You can still live your life mostly with others who you prefer to be with if that is your comfort zone.  

On 6/3/2023 at 5:21 AM, Jingthing said:

*Deleted post edited out*

The US is creeping towards fascism.

If Trump or DeSantis takes power in 24 American democracy is finished 

But I get it.

That's exactly what many Americans want.

And quite a number who aren’t Americans too.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

True, not a good sign having these 2 vying for the POTUS ....long way to first primary in February 2024 though.

The whole categorizing is what is wrong IMO.  

Human pride month instead of Pride month..  Human history month instead of Black History Month.  Do we need to categorize every month with a "cause" or agenda?

It is time to accept and move forward with logic, not fear.   We have lived with diversity our whole lives, just accept it.  You can still live your life mostly with others who you prefer to be with if that is your comfort zone.  

I like Black History Month etc. as it wasn't taught in schools. But not everyone does including some black people.

On 6/3/2023 at 8:31 AM, Tug said:

This is political theater at the expense of a tiny minority of people if you don’t like it simply don’t attend if parents are concerned about their kids don’t let them attend.in my personal opinion it’s a manufactured problem and the government shouldn’t be in the business of enforcing some precived morality that’s a personal call.furthermore I think the vast majority of gay folks are compelled to be the way they are they have enough problems dealing with that without all the threats and moral outrage 

That would be fine, if events & parades were not held on public streets.  Hence the problem.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That would be fine, if events & parades were not held on public streets.  Hence the problem.

It's  not a problem. 

All citizens are allowed to apply for permits to hold public events.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Again, you affirm my suspicion you don't actually know any gays. I'm done arguing with you about this, you can't be convinced using logic on subjects you support with your "feelings."

I understand. You aren't able to separate your feelings from your reason.  FWIW, I have known and worked with gay people my entire life- I am actually in a profession that is quite diverse.  

As for Florida, the overblown and histrionic 'feelings' of a few activists do nothing to tarnish the actual truth- that Florida is thriving, successful, and welcoming.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ozimoron said:

I know of 2,000 employees and a billion dollars that won't be going there because of anti woke rhetoric.

...or prehaps because the new CEO was against a plan that the previous CEO favored?  But still plans to invest $17 billion anyway...

11 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

I understand. You aren't able to separate your feelings from your reason.  FWIW, I have known and worked with gay people my entire life- I am actually in a profession that is quite diverse.  

As for Florida, the overblown and histrionic 'feelings' of a few activists do nothing to tarnish the actual truth- that Florida is thriving, successful, and welcoming.

Somehow, this pride parade is getting some attention, brought on by themselves of course.

Aside from that, I guess many people have never been to Key West.  Great place, especially if you're gay or other version of alternative lifestyle ????

A flame post, a personal attack using that post and then a post baiting another poster have been removed.

Please remain civil, steer clear of using slurs, making overly negative comments or else face a posting suspension.

15. You will not discriminate or post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments on the basis of race, gender, age, religion, ethnicity, nationality, disability, medical history, marriage, civil partnership, pregnancy, maternity, paternity, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other irrelevant factor.

19 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

Except they parade through the streets, often in busy, popular, downtown areas, where you could happen to be for another reason without realizing they had a parade there that day.

And it's a whole month, remember. 

Who can keep track of where they are at all times?

What is stopping you from changing direction and travelling a different route?

I am sure that if you did an internet search you would know where, when and for how long a parade will be at a certain point.

Also there is nothing stopping you organising your own parade, and as long as it is anti LBGTQ, it will authorised by DeSantis.

Edited by billd766
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

"The Book This Book is Gay by Juno Dawson is available to 14-18 year old children at the Grand Haven High School Library. It contains tips on how to meet up with adults secretly and keep it from parent’s knowledge, tips on how to use sex apps, tips on how to have sex, oral, bumming, and so much more"

https://restoreottawa.substack.com/p/this-book-is-gay-a-how-to-book-for

If you click my provided link you will see quotes from this book. It is absolutely VILE and disgusting, way beyond merely sexually explicit. 

And how many times has this book actually been checked out of the library.

How many 14 to 18 year olds are FORCED to read this book.

You seem to know all about this book. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a silly question for all the rabid heterosexuals in the USA and even on ANN.

The situation is a simple one of principle.

You are in hospital and in desperate need of a full 8 pints of blood. The only available blood of your type is in the bodies of 8 LBGTQ who are the only people who are willing to donate their blood.

The question is, do you betray your principles, take the blood and live, or reject their blood and die? It doesn't even have to be blood. It can be a liver or a kidney, but something you need to stay alive.

It is, at least to me, a simple yes or no answer and my answer would be a very grateful yes.

I know that there will be posters who will try to twist, turn and spin the answer from a simple yes or no into something far more convoluted, full of what irs, maybes, in realitys etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

What is stopping you from changing direction and travelling a different route?

I am sure that if you did an internet search you would know where, when and for how long a parade will be at a certain point.

Also there is nothing stopping you organising your own parade, and as long as it is anti LBGTQ, it will authorised by DeSantis.

Exactly. Like this bikini parade exposing quasi-nude women and even kids!

https://www.al.com/gulf-coast/2012/03/video_panama_city_beach_sets_b.html

-9e0e32567821485b.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I have a silly question for all the rabid heterosexuals in the USA and even on ANN.

You are in hospital and in desperate need of a full 8 pints of blood. The only available blood of your type is in the bodies of 8 LBGTQ who are the only people who are willing to donate their blood.

The question is, do you betray your principles, take the blood and live, or reject their blood and die? It doesn't even have to be blood. It can be a liver or a kidney, but something you need to stay alive.

It is, at least to me, a simple yes or no answer and my answer would be a very grateful yes.

I know that there will be posters who will try to twist, turn and spin the answer from a simple yes or no into something far more convoluted, full of what irs, maybes, in realitys etc.

probably not the best of ideas to label people right out the gate but to answer.....

only a fool would deny life saving blood. 

14 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Of course I would gratefully receive it. And if I knew a pint of my donated blood went to save the life of an LGBT person, that would be fantastic too.  

It is no betrayal of principles at all.  People are people. Some of them just need to be a bit less narcissistic and learn some social skills. 

17 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Only if it came with a red or blue chiffon dress, and pumps & bag to match.

24 minutes ago, stoner said:

probably not the best of ideas to label people right out the gate but to answer.....

only a fool would deny life saving blood. 

I didn't label anybody, but just put a hypothetical question up for discussion.

A simple yes or no answer was all that was required.

33 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I didn't label anybody, but just put a hypothetical question up for discussion.

A simple yes or no answer was all that was required.

a lot of people might mistake you saying "rabid heterosexuals" as placing a label. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, stoner said:

a lot of people might mistake you saying "rabid heterosexuals" as placing a label. 

That would be a bit like labelling LBGTQ people as "different".

Thank you for your comment.

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

That would be a bit like labelling LBGTQ people as "different".

Thank you for your comment.

good thing neither you or i said anything about lqbtq people being different. 

Just now, sirineou said:

any opportunity to display one's intelligence, ehh?:thumbsup:

My "Gay" daughter is  a beautiful intelligent ,  educated kind and thoughtful person , top case manager for one of the largest law firms in the US and working toward  passing  her Bar. A productive member and a credit to our community in Florida , and to the human race. 

I wish I could say the same for you , but from your post I am afraid I would be lying :angry:

Being homosexual  is a natural part of being human. And as such you have every right to be proud of yourself and peacefully parade. As you also have and do in many different  occasions. 

A percentage  of the human race has always been homosexual . All through history this was understood, and homosexuality was accept as a normal part of the human experience. It was only with Christianity that it was made into something to be feared and attacked.

But I am sure anything I said above would be lost to you, and I am wasting my breath,if it was not , you would not had made the comments you made in your first two posts, Not sure what other nonsense you might have posted since I stopped reading this thread there. 

Taking children to drag queen shows has nothing to do with being gay and I don't recall commenting on gay people or religion. I will comment on gay people now since you brought it up. I am sure your daughter is a wonderful person etc, etc, and it would be a pleasure to meet anyone like her. In fact I do know a little about that life since I lived with my brother for many years and attended lots of his gay parties. I had a blast. He was also an intelligent fabulous person who was the public relations manager for a large airline in the US for many years. Oh, until they fired him when they found out he was gay. So I know a little bit about that topic. You on the other hand remind me of a title of a movie: “Eyes Wide Shut”.

A president Regain quote comes to mind on this issue the most terrifying sound is when your government says it will fix it or something similar bottom line to me as far as the kids go that’s a parenting issue not a government issue as far as people who find pride month an affront avoid the area.the government has 0% business regulating morality that’s best left to the more backward nations not the USA or any of the states for that matter

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, 300sd said:

Taking children to drag queen shows has nothing to do with being gay and I don't recall commenting on gay people or religion. I will comment on gay people now since you brought it up. I am sure your daughter is a wonderful person etc, etc, and it would be a pleasure to meet anyone like her. In fact I do know a little about that life since I lived with my brother for many years and attended lots of his gay parties. I had a blast. He was also an intelligent fabulous person who was the public relations manager for a large airline in the US for many years. Oh, until they fired him when they found out he was gay. So I know a little bit about that topic. You on the other hand remind me of a title of a movie: “Eyes Wide Shut”.

Unfortunately not everyone knows,

and I am sure you know that Gay pride parades are not just "drag queen" shows , They are an expression of the gay community's many aspects that also includes "drag queens". 

And what is wrong with drag queens? and having children exposed to them.??You were exposed to the lifestyle, and you did not turn gay.  It is truly ridiculous and   boggles the mind  that some one (not you) could think that exposure  to a different nature would cause someone to change theirs. And what is wrong with cross dressing if one wants to do that? what harm does it cause to society? 

None!!

but I will tell you what harm it causes to the individual who wishes to do so. In some countries he/she is killed. in others they are forced to compromise their sexuality and lives . forded to live a lie ,and pretend to be something they are not. 

Their is nothing worse that living a life compromised to that extend. IMO death is better. And some chose to take their own lifes!!

And then there is all the injustice such as your Dad getting fired  for being "So gay" .

Did he do the job for which he was hired?

That should be the only consideration, And even if his coworkers had a problem with it, that's  their problem , they should me fired.

Sorry to unload on you. You are also a victim of the homophobes, because your dad is gay . your life was compromised to a certain degree.  They have you so traumatized you are afraid of the truth. 

Before you call me any names, please take one thing I said above and describe how it is wrong, One thing, just one thing.  

, Perhaps  you should thing of  Eyes wide open,  it's the homophobes that have their eyes shut, not me. 

Edited by sirineou
typo

On 6/4/2023 at 11:27 AM, HappyExpat57 said:

I knew we had haters, but the number of them is sad.

And then there are people who interpret it as hate when others ask questions.

Why is it hate if some people ask if it makes sense to give hormones to teenagers to stop their natural development? Why is it hate if people ask why teenage girls get their healthy breasts surgically removed?

There are enough people out there who regret that they started to transition - with irreversible consequences.

Talking about this and asking questions is not homophobic or transphobic or whatever. It is about seeking the truth and looking at the best options for minors. Transitioning to another gender might be one option. But it is certainly not the only option. That is what those "haters" talk about.