Thai Banks are Starting to Require Facial Recognition for High-Value Transactions

webfact

On 6/9/2023 at 9:49 PM, Liverpool Lou said:
On 6/5/2023 at 7:01 PM, Dan O said:

Kringrsri has been posting it for over a month and it's for everyone.

They're not posting it on the app any longer and haven't been for at least a couple of weeks.

It's back again now!

9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It's back again now!

Yep, but only for people that haven't done the photo update. The time is getting closer for it to "officially" be required, whenever and whatever that means. And it is for everyone not just Thai's

14 hours ago, digbeth said:

SCB has announced they're cancelling their internet banking service, moving their customers to app only in July

So far it's only 2 Banks, KTB and SCB that is closing internet banking making app and biometrics mandatory, I'm sure more will follow suit

They probably have the numbers on how many actually use the browser-based internet banking. 

I only use it occasionally now but it's useful for printing out statements

I never use the Thai bank websites as I only use the apps, but I would miss my US bank's as there are things I can do with it I don't seem to be able to do the app.

Do you you have a WiFi printer? 

14 hours ago, digbeth said:

So far it's only 2 Banks, KTB and SCB that is closing internet banking making app and biometrics mandatory, I'm sure more will follow suit

Actually, CIMB abandoned their online banking via website before either of those two last year, and went app only..

And now,  re this thread, I found this in my email last night:

Screenshot_1.jpg.126e7ce7d978ff6a81541ef3a10ea0e1.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg.8084dff2ea7ff309eda652e21238b8c9.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/15/2023 at 12:41 PM, Yellowtail said:

I never use the Thai bank websites as I only use the apps, but I would miss my US bank's as there are things I can do with it I don't seem to be able to do the app.

Do you you have a WiFi printer? 

while you can print from mobile, in the app it's really not formatted for printing, whereas in the online site there's option for printer friendly statement or even pdf export, I'm sure if they bothered they could implement that in the app... but all I see is request an official statement sent to you for a fee

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/5/2023 at 11:01 AM, Tubulat said:

That's not always possible, for example i book a flight from 60,000 thb, how i can do multiple transfers?

Never pay “cash“ to buy an airline ticket. Always use a credit card as you get so much more protection. 

25 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Never pay “cash“ to buy an airline ticket. Always use a credit card as you get so much more protection. 

A lot of people do not have (for whatever reason) a credit card. 

Are the donkeys in-line? Stars all aligned? 

Bangkok Bank 

Tried making a True wallet transaction for 300 baht… then tried bank transfer 100 baht… nothing worked … says call 1333 and that’s no joy..

System down? Facial recognition issue? I don’t have facial recognition yet… 

On 7/5/2023 at 9:17 AM, gargamon said:

Yes, and I also prefer to go directly to the airlines... I have had issues before when things have to change with tickets bought through agents. ( If you need not make changes, or need a leg refunding, yes usually fine). 

58 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, and I also prefer to go directly to the airlines... I have had issues before when things have to change with tickets bought through agents. ( If you need not make changes, or need a leg refunding, yes usually fine). 

And there just does not seem to be much savings going with "agents" anymore. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/5/2023 at 8:57 AM, ripper15 said:

Just keep your tranfers under B50,000 and do multiple online transfers, no fees yet for transfers at Bangkok bank. I could not be bothered to go to the bank when I got the message this month to go to the branch here in Pattaya.

The problem with Bangkok Bank is that the phone app requires you to set the daily limit for transfers in ranges starting at 50,000. So any transfers fall into this category and need a visit to the bank to set up.