The future of masking -- will it ever end?

3 hours ago, anrcaccount said:

Pretty much the only country into he world where healthy 19 year olds working their first job at Makro or 7-11 or outside at PTT... are forced to wear a face covering. 

Disgusting! How do they survive this shock?

Edited by watchcat

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I wonder how many girls wear it for cosmetic reasons - to make them look more mysterious or to hide anything in their face which they think is not perfect.

I know a hotel manager who I first met with mask. She looked great. Now no mask anymore. She still looks good, but her real face is not as good as my imagination was. 

a9107eacee82e44b713ec1ff7b248cf4.jpg

And I meet some who are so fine, even with the mask on they look absolutely incredible. With some rather exceptional beauties, they just cannot hide it.

3 hours ago, anrcaccount said:

Pretty much the only country into he world where healthy 19 year olds working their first job at Makro or 7-11 or outside at PTT... are forced to wear a face covering. 

My employer has some policies I dislike... it is my choice to work here though.

If the one's working Makro/PTT/7-11 don't like company policy, they should vote with their feet.

If we assume that the incidence of mask-wearing because of pollution hasn't changed since before Covid, the way Thais wear a mask, in what activities, suggests that a large percentage is unaware of what a mask can do and what not. I don't know if they have been badly educated in that respect, or do it out of wishful thinking, or some other reason.

• Like 1

I started noticing a drop off in mask wearing at the start of this current hot season (thank God). Majority of Thais still wear them but in pretty much everyplace other than hospitals, there are always a few without. That is for where I am which is out in the countryside, Bangkok starting having non-mask wearer a bit sooner. First the foreigners and then, little by little, some Thais.

I complied with masking through this last cool season but when the hot weather set in, as soon as I saw any Thais without, I ditched it and haven't restarted since with exception of visits to hospitals, pharmacies and crowded mass transit.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Nobody cares anymore whether or not you personally wear a mask EXCEPT where clearly mandatory, i.e. government offices like immigration

The IO I saw doesn't wear one. Some people do, an increasing number don't. I find it pathetic that some wear it under their chin as some kind of Peanuts cartoon security blanket, as if they just can't let it go.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 2

Ironic to see your comment as coming from Canada … irony? Because many in Canada and Eastern USA are wearing the masks due to forest fire pollution … You are correct, in Asia there is more of a prevalence of mask usage. True in Japan even before COVID and in China due to air pollution.

On a packed Bangkok air-con bus lastweek, I could find exactly one passenger without mask. On the Pattaya BANGKOK bus most were unmasked. In shopping malls etc the number of Thais still masked has been decreasing steadily from close to 100% a few months ago to around 70 recently. 

• Like 1

The social-conditioning to wear one is still strong here. Having spent the earlier part of this year in the UK and US with no one wearing masks, coming back here to see the majority of Thais wearing them seems more than a bit ludicrous, but it's just another addition to the mumbo-jumbo grab bag of local traits adopted here. (With mask manufacturers like CP still reeling them in).

One thing that does tee me off is the volume of discarded masks by the roadside, or biffed into the nearest waterway.. Sometimes even full carrier bags of the used filthy things. ????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Nobody cares anymore whether or not you personally wear a mask EXCEPT where clearly mandatory, i.e. government offices like immigration 

In Bankok however,  the air quality is a more important reason for people wearing masks than Covid.

Right now, me gestimate is 60% Thai and 20% foreigners still wearing masks at all time

That is in international areas and maybe on country side ....I am on the edge of Bangkok in the Farang free zone, but still city...here it is like 90% for the Thais (no farangs).

Interesting is also there is The Mall Bang Ke and Seacon very close to each other and Seacon there is much less masking than in the Mall. (Sample size 1....time has also changed so it could be a time of the day effect and not location). Also on the market I saw the lower people who sell the fruits have maybe 50% the masks and the good nice people who are buying there like 95%. I wear it only in Taxi or Pharmacy as I don't want to scare other people.

• Like 1

There have always been people masking in Thailand.  Pre covid it was because of air pollution or when someone was sick they would wear one to try and not spread it.  So when covid came masking up was no big deal for everyone.  

At this time some mask and some don't.  It's up to you.

• Like 2

Just now, farang9392 said:

Not this non-sense again. Pre-covid masking was always less than 2% even on the polluted seasons. I'm sure in a large enough sample size you'll find one or two people masking even in the West. Don't phrase it as if it was common.

Where did I say it was common?

1 hour ago, AAArdvark said:

Not so much COVID masking but pollution masking. 

So we're back at normal levels of mask wearing in Thailand or is June 2023 the most polluted the country has ever been? Seriously though, I'm hearing this often and I think people are tying to backpedal and save face.

8 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

In Bankok however,  the air quality is a more important reason for people wearing masks than Covid.

Right now, me gestimate is 60% Thai and 20% foreigners still wearing masks at all time

Depends where but I see still 90% of Thai wearing masks expecially indoor and 5% foreigners. Even in parks when walking alone, 50% of Thai wear the mask. In my company (Thai) masks are still mandatory if not sitting at own's desk

Edited by NicoBKK
  • Like 1

With the Thais it's all about "monkey see...monkey do". As long as the elites on TV are wearing masks, the peasants wouldn't dare shed the mask and insult the better judgement of those in authority. When the ruling class decides it's time to give up masking, the masses will follow suit. Obedience to authority always trumps common sense, critical thinking and following the science.

Edited by fittobethaied
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

The gaslighting has already started. Keep an eye on this. Everyone wants out without losing face.

Have definitely seen this, there was some real farang little mask policers back in the day, worse grassing people up to condo staff, less worse passive aggressive offering masks, some boasting about it like some scout honour, and acting like they worked for the WHO, now they are like hey man I always thought it was stupid and pointless, I just did it for pollution or old people or 20000baht is a lot, good to see the thai smile again blah blah blah. Yeah mate, jog on, your name is marked, everyone knows, considered moving condo? ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Who cares?  If you want to wear a mask then wear one.  If you don't, outside the few places where it is still compulsory, then don't.  We all know why mask wearing was politicised, and it's a ridiculous situation.