Leaving the bar stool ...

KhunLA

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, susanlea said:

What was you favourite and how do you insert the dots?

Favorites, hard to say.  New spots, cutting through Doi Inthanon Nat Park to Mae Chaem and then exited a different route south to Sukhothai was really nice.

As was parts of the trip down to Betong, Yala.   Khao Kho is always nice.  Drives through Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Krabi, Phangnga are always nice, though done so many times the past 20+ years.  Try to take different routes.   Along the coast or through the hills.

Last year, driving through Nan, a first, and had spectacular views.

G maps & timeline marks the map as we travel & stop.  Seems anything more than 10 ish minutes, gets a dot.  Hotel, coffee shop, restaurant, EV charging station, or just roadside, if I see some wildlife (usually birds) or a great view to take a snap or 50, or make a vid.

Stopped Friday just before guesthouse, saw new species for me to snap, ended up taking 90 photos  :cheesy:

DSN05549DN.jpg

Edited by KhunLA

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Present O&A, and should be home today, some time this late afternoon/early evening.

That didn't go exactly as originally planned.  About 4 hrs, with only a pit stop at Bluport Mall/Hua Hin, turned into almost 7 hrs.

Changed route, to hit a coffee shop, then changed again, to find that elusive Spot-billed Pelican.   Snaps taken yesterday posted on eBird, at location that I've search before when in the hood.  So stopped at 2 on the way.

The extra stops require a short 15 minute top up for the EV.  Bluport Mall was a longer stop, for dinner.

More than a for snaps, and added a few hours :cheesy:

detour.png

Edited by KhunLA

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

That didn't go exactly as originally planned.  About 4 hrs, with only a pit stop at Bluport Mall/Hua Hin, turned into almost 7 hrs.

Changed route, to hit a coffee shop, then changed again, to find that elusive Spot-billed Pelican.   Snaps taken yesterday posted on eBird, at location that I've search before when in the hood.  So stopped at 2 on the way.

The extra stops require a short 15 minute top up for the EV.  Bluport Mall was a longer stop, for dinner.

More than a for snaps, and added a few hours :cheesy:

detour.png

My favourite two restaurants aren't far from Bluport.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, susanlea said:

My favourite two restaurants aren't far from Bluport.

Main purpose to stop was for some shoes we liked, already have.   I always peek at 'You Hunt We Cook', but they and Gourmet Market didn't have any steaks I liked.   So we hit the Turkish kebab/Mexican Quesadilla vendor.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Main purpose to stop was for some shoes we liked, already have.   I always peek at 'You Hunt We Cook', but they and Gourmet Market didn't have any steaks I liked.   So we hit the Turkish kebab/Mexican Quesadilla vendor.

On level 3 is a shop with comfortable flip flops. Like a cheaper version of Crocs but look better.

• Sad 1

On 6/20/2024 at 2:35 PM, KhunLA said:

Baan Georges, Sukhothai 👍

I've stayed there a few times, it's my favourite hotel to break my journey on the rare occasions I'm driving South.

If you're heading North from there, always take the 101 though the national park.

I did the journey from Baan George to Chiang Rai on a Kawasaki Versys about 12 years ago.  I was messing about with the Garmin GPS in my hotel room and unwittingly told it to avoid highways. The route through all the little villages was stunning until North of Chiang Rai and took me to a rice paddy.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I've stayed there a few times, it's my favourite hotel to break my journey on the rare occasions I'm driving South.

If you're heading North from there, always take the 101 though the national park.

I did the journey from Baan George to Chiang Rai on a Kawasaki Versys about 12 years ago.  I was messing about with the Garmin GPS in my hotel room and unwittingly told it to avoid highways. The route through all the little villages was stunning until North of Chiang Rai and took me to a rice paddy.

We used 101 going up through Phrae & Nan last last year.