Chinese tourism deterred by tourist scams in Thailand, says Atta

webfact

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Attaining the government-set target of five million visitors necessitates a footfall of at least two million Chinese travellers in the third quarter, around 12,000 to 15,000 daily. This figure is expected to be followed by more than two million arrivals in the final quarter, resulting in a surge in Chinese tourism.

No sense of reality of the current outside financial world status

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

He also emphasised the necessity to uplift the quality of services provided in the tourism sector to boost Chinese tourism.

Uplift quality for the Chinese. What? Don't care about anybody else?

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

The scams count only for the Chinese tourists???

True. The variety of scams keeps me from visiting other locations besides the handful I know and feel comfortable at. And even for those locations, I sometimes don't bother going, as I don't want to worry about getting overcharged or scammed on my holiday. Not to mention that, for these reasons, I don't visit national parks in Thailand, and, nowadays,  rarely visit temples or museums.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Thumbs Up 1

1. The level of consumer confidence in the US, is dropping like a brick, right now. Likely the same elsewhere. 

2. Why would the Chinese care about the government here? Xi is not exactly a beacon of hope, and China is not exactly the land of the free. I don't even think that is a factor. The scams, maybe. The Chinese seem to be getting scammed alot. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Xonax said:

The worst scam in Thailand is the dual pricing in national parks and other places.

Nay. The ever encroaching and oppressive visa rules and regulations would get my vote.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Caldera said:

I've often wondered why this isn't even a bigger issue, tourists getting scammed and then talking about it back home (or on social media of course).

Thailand's reputation in this regard is nothing to be proud of, and when I encountered European tourists again last year after the Covid slowdown, most of them were mostly talking about how they've been scammed. Some weren't talking about anything else, in fact.

That was in Trat and about rip-offs related to visiting Koh Chang, which arguably isn't even one of the worst places.

I want to say that it IS an issue - the Chinese know about it, and with the backpacker crowd having enough of thailand and moving on to Bali (not that theres a lot of them anyways), people dont take kindly to being ripped off all the time.  

Look at tourism, it's way down and this is supposed to be the big comeback!  Look at airfares.  This is not good.

6 hours ago, Xonax said:

The worst scam in Thailand is the dual pricing in national parks and other places.

It's unpleasant but at least you have a choice to walk away.   200 baht versus 20 baht.

Many scams are much worse and involve huge amounts of money.

My wife just got scammed for fake Eucirin whitening cream, 1850.00 baht COD.  The box ended up containing a bunch cheap Chinese hotel shampoo. 

Bummed her out. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Caldera said:

That was in Trat and about rip-offs related to visiting Koh Chang, which arguably isn't even one of the worst places.

I was thinking it was on one trip there years ago, many scams relating to transportation. 

19 hours ago, Blumpie said:

It's Thailand, everyone gets scammed.  It's a country based on ripping people off.  You know it.  I know it.  Dogs know it.  Everyone knows it.  

Good luck, it won't be in my lifetime but empty words sure sound nice don't they?  Verbal onanism.  

True. Thais also scam each other. It's in their nature, and authorities just shrug shoulders.