Online debate erupts after woman recounts unsettling experience with app-ordered taxi

snoop1130

Screenshot_5-2.jpg

In an incident that sparked an online debate, a young Thai woman reported a harrowing experience involving a taxi service ordered via a mobile application. Throughout the journey, the driver allegedly behaved inappropriately, including asking to visit her home, requesting contact information, and proposing an outing together. Following the incident, which took place yesterday, the woman shared a video recounting her experience on TikTok.

The video stirred an array of public reactions, with numerous comments suggesting ways to handle the situation, should it ever occur again. However, several commenters were quick to criticise the woman’s laughter during her refusal, suggesting it may have encouraged the driver to continue his inappropriate behaviour, assuming she was tolerating it.

Responding to these suggestions, the woman clarified that her decision to laugh and respond to the relentless harassment was out of fear. She added that since it was not a traditional taxi she had boarded, but a service requested through an app, she felt even more trapped, reported KhaoSod.

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Picture courtesy of sxlisx_19, TikTok

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/online-debate-erupts-after-woman-recounts-unsettling-experience-with-app-ordered-taxi

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

She added that since it was not a traditional taxi she had boarded, but a service requested through an app, she felt even more trapped, reported KhaoSod.

This 'theoretically' gave her greater protection as there is a 'dual-accountability' compared to hailing a flagfall taxi where the details of the driver is unknown. That is, of course, IF the driver of the 'taxi-app' was actually the same person as registered.... And, of course, if the driver was alert enough for it to register that his details are on the record.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

This gave her greater protection as there is a 'dual-accountability' compared to hailing a flagfall taxi where the details of the driver is unknown. That is, of course, IF the driver of the 'taxi-app' was actually the same person as registered. 

Or even the same vehicle

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sqoop said:

Or even the same vehicle

Well... thats easy enough to check before getting in (vehicle type / registration) is shown on the apps....

But...  I guess there is always some sort of possible angle here. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thumbs Up 1

Any problems with a Bolt ride and Bolt deny any accountability. They recently updated their Ts & C's, which they sent me a copy of. I'd made a complaint about being charged double for a return trip, same-day, Pratamnak Soi 4 to Bangkok Pattaya hospital.

This is the problem with the stunting of social behavior growth brought on by social media and people who only can communicate thru texting and posting... I do not understand the Thai language so I do not know what was said, but it sounded more to be a mutually shared conversation between two young people... remember the days... oh well.

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I heard recently a Thai woman used an app to call a taxi, she was raped and murdered by the driver, kept out of the news

I heard recently the driver of a green and yellow hailed taxi  drank coffee while driving, kept out of the news, and brand of coffee not revealed.

Edited by scorecard
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:
15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Following the incident, which took place yesterday, the woman shared a video recounting her experience on TikTok.

Why not share it with the police and do some good?

Maybe she can't afford the RTP 'motivation fee'. When my friend's house was robbed and his SUV was taken the fee to get them to do their job was 100,000 baht. He didn't pay and soon after left this cesspit to return to Australia, with his Thai wife only too happen to leave with him.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Maybe she can't afford the RTP 'motivation fee'. When my friend's house was robbed and his SUV was taken the fee to get them to do their job was 100,000 baht. He didn't pay and soon after left this cesspit to return to Australia, with his Thai wife only too happen to leave with him.

LOS... Land of scams.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Why not share it with the police and do some good?

Re-examine this statement.  In Pattaya not one single taximeter uses a meter despite it being unlawful.  There has not been one single prosecution by Pattaya police in the last dozen years.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Re-examine this statement.  In Pattaya not one single taximeter uses a meter despite it being unlawful.  There has not been one single prosecution by Pattaya police in the last dozen years.

Point taken... media works better.

Got it.

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Out of the frying pan! When did he return? 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

the woman clarified that her decision to laugh and respond to the relentless harassment was out of fear.

It didn't sound out of fear to me at the beginning of the vid, I'm not condoning what he did, but he sounded quite relaxed i.e. not speaking in an angry tone.

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I've only ever used BOLT, they send me the car number, dont know if other do, 

They all do. How else do you find car?

10% of time the driver sends message different car.

I got in wrong car and scared a woman. My car was 10m away. I didnt check number. Was funny. Kor tort khrup

50 minutes ago, Olmate said:
3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Out of the frying pan! When did he return?

They didn't. Australia generally has an honest police force and they don't have to be bribed to do their job.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Because it was kept out of the news!

The logic on that escapes me.

What made me laugh is the original mention of this which focused on the fact the taxi user used an APP. 

Are we to therefore assume folks who book on apps are likely to get harrassed, groped or whatever? 

Let's be honest, many many Thai females have been groped or driver has attempted to grope them in normal street roaming taxis.

17 hours ago, JayClay said:

So let me get this right.... you believe anything you're told, so long as it doesn't appear in the news???

I doubt you will... but more simply put, I do not have faith in the accuracy of reporting and what is put into print. 

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I doubt you will... but more simply put, I do not have faith in the accuracy of reporting and what is put into print. 

You doubt I will what?

Not having faith in everything that is printed is reasonable. But believing anything you hear just because it hasn't been reported is ridiculous. 

5 minutes ago, JayClay said:

You doubt I will what?

Not having faith in everything that is printed is reasonable. But believing anything you hear just because it hasn't been reported is ridiculous. 

Get it right!