Toll evasion leads to Cambodian driver’s arrest over unpaid Thai charges totaling 71,580 Baht

webfact

image.jpeg

A Cambodian driver named Term Nuo was apprehended by Highway Police yesterday, after driving through a toll gate in Chon Buri’s Bang Lamung district without settling accrued toll charges totalling over 70,000 baht.

The toll evasion arrest took place at 1.30am, led by the acting chief of Highway Police, Pol Maj Gen Jaroonkiat Pankaew.

In recent history, an effort was made to improve traffic flow along Highway 9 between Bang Pa-in and Bang Phli, resulting in the introduction of barrier-free M-Flow channels last year.

Motorists are allowed to use these channels, even in the absence of an M-Flow account, yet are obliged to pay the outstanding charges within two days of passage. It’s also worth noting that a failure to timely settle these charges attracts a fine equal to ten times the incurred charge.

The vehicle operated by Term Nuo, a Toyota pickup truck, was among the top twenty vehicles featured on the police’s list of toll evasion offenders. 

by Mitch Connor

Top Photo courtesy of Istock

#news

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/cambodian-driver-arrested-over-unpaid-thai-toll-charges-totalling-71580-baht-2

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-07-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, webfact said:

The vehicle operated by Term Nuo, a Toyota pickup truck, was among the top twenty vehicles featured on the police’s list of toll evasion offenders.

as i mentioned the other day this will grow into a very big problem if drastic actions are not taken now to curtail it. 

among the top 20 ? 

i bet there are hundreds of cars on this list. it will grow over time and payoffs and corruption will ingrain itself into this as well. 

Edited by stoner
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, stoner said:

as i mentioned the other day this will grow into a very big problem if drastic actions are not taken now to curtail it. 

among the top 20 ? 

i bet there are hundreds of cars on this list. it will grow over time and payoffs and corruption will ingrain itself into this as well. 

I see a lot of vehicles with illegible and faded number plates anyhow......

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

I see a lot of vehicles with illegible and faded number plates anyhow......

Agreed.  How was this serial offender identified?  If the RTP could read his plates why did it take so long?

The story leaves out who actually owns the vehicle as it states:

"The vehicle operated by driver Term Nuo" (and one of the top 20 "vehicles" featured on the police list) 

And he said he "hadn't received any notice to settle the incurred charges".  So "IF" the company he drives for does own the vehicle, why would he receive any notice at all?....duh!

If it is in his name, well you better open that wallet of yours now buddy! ????????????

Edited by mushroomdave

If this man owes 71580 bht, then that means he actually owed about 7158 bht originally. It's 60 bht to use those 2 lanes one way. The fine is 10 times, so 600 baht if you don't pay. I was under the impression that you had 7 days to pay and not 2 days. I've used those lanes several times and went to the website and made a QR payment and had no problems. Apparently this driver use the lanes about 60 times round trip. I tried to create an account, but because I don't have a Thai credit card, I wasn't allowed. They wouldn't accept my Thai bank visa/atm card as well.