Have You Turned into Your Dad?

GinBoy2

Im bald - my Ol' Fella was not!! Milkman of the time - unknown!!

Sometimes i catch myself repeating my Dad's go to phrases to my own son. "Not too much sugar - do you know what they call it - the White Death!!!!!!"

• Haha 1

One thing I won’t inherit from my father is a cue ball. Family has hair right up to the end on my fathers side.

I did inherit some strange mannerisms though, like using clothes pins to secure bags of food and chips or close curtains. I look back and see my father in those small strange things.

• Thumbs Up 1

HEAVY, Man!

HEAVY.

This is a sore subject with me.

And, hair is not the issue.

This is a topic I never enjoy thinking about.

And, here it is!

Just too heavy for me, at the moment.

I am trying to enjoy a nice day.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

No. My father worked all his life in a job he hated, I loved the work I did. In retirement, his life was barren, mine is not.

He did pass on some useful knowledge, such as avoiding debt like the plague. He used to say if you look after any equipment you own, it will look after you.

I suppose he did pass on a gambling gene. He used to punt on long shots with the horses, I do it with stocks and shares.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

My Dad, as I suspect for most on here, is long dead, but sure as sh**t every morning I look in that mirror and I see him staring right back at me

I look nothing like my dad, or anyone in my mom or dad's family.

My eyes are a different colour, hair a different colour, skin much whiter, he went bald and I didn't. But my daughter looks like my mom and grandma.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

No, not anywhere near.  My Dad was a damaged man following WW2, where he served in UK Bomber Command. He was quiet, accepting, hated any kind of confrontation, almost a weak shadow of a man and he was never able to reach his undoubted potential, at work,  or as a parent and husband. Many of that generation had their character irretrievably damaged by their experiences and were never able to overcome the trauma.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

That's what your mom told you.

The reality is she drove him away and never let him have contact with you again.

Seen it many times, same as happened to me.

Lots of guys leave because the mother is over demanding. They can’t take it anymore and bail. You just never hear the other side of the story. Typically communication is cut off and the mother does not want the kids and the dad in touch. If asked they won’t talk about it or refuse to discuss what happened.

the mother ends up still controlling the kid and father by restricting access and phone calls.

sometimes they will reconnect in later life and it’s like, huh, never thought of that, he had real reasons but I always thought he was just some awful dude for leaving for no reason.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hereditary baldness is passed on X chromosome, so it's more dominant on the mother's side of the family. Look at your maternal grandfather for the best indication.

My dad was lean and tough as nails. He was also a great story-teller and very popular with the ladies, though I'm pretty sure it was never more than flirtation. I miss him.

Unfortunately, the only attribute I inherited from him is my thick head of hair.   

I never had the chance. During part of the war I was evacuated. Then he was in the Royal Navy for five years. Then I went in the army for my National Service and he died aged forty one in 1953. His last words to me were "Look after your mum." I suppose I'm more like my mother. I brought her here to Thailand to live out her days and she died here aged eighty eight. I've outlived her so maybe I'm more like her as regards longevity, so far.????

• Like 2

Not only have I turned int my Dad , I catch myself doing that little smug laugh he used to make. that I hated so much. 

He has passed away a few years now, and If I had one wish it would be to have one more day with him so I can apologies for being such an A-hole to him in my teens and  twenties. 

• Thumbs Up 1