After Pita, Pheu Thai gets to run the show

snoop1130

9 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

If the Senate would not aprove Shretta, then they would oppose the will for change of 2/3 of the population. First Pita then Shretta. That would mean that the will of 2/3 of the Thai population would be suppressed. Then FT and PT supporters would probably join forces on the streets. I don't believe that the Thais will silently allow themselves to be robbed of the election results.

I hope it not comes to bloody protests, but I don't know any Thais who let their butter be stolen from their bread.

Lot's of common thai's loved Taksin and that didn't save him.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

PT has kept to the agreement. Srettha should now run as a PM candidate from the existing coalition of eight parties. As long as the future government reflects the election results of the population, ok. The senators cannot afford to saw off Srettha like Pita before. Would be nice to see where the Senate stands in the third approach. For the sake of the  Thai people or not.

Hope settha has no baggage.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

9 hours ago, madmitch said:

I don't get why the senate were allowed a say in whether Pita could stand a second time. They are not elected Parliamentarians and this wasn't a vote for PM as such. But I obviously don't know the ins and outs of the clause in the constitution that gives them such powers.

Anyway, there's a precedent set now: if Sreetha gets the coalition nomination and fails, he won't be able to stand again in the event of a new coalition. The worry about that is who would stand? And this is where the likelihood of the olld guard regaining power comes into play.

Dreadful situation!

Read the latest constitution....

PT has kept to the agreement. Srettha should now run as a PM candidate from the existing coalition of eight parties. As long as the future government reflects the election results of the population, ok. The senators cannot afford to saw off Srettha like Pita before. Would be nice to see where the Senate stands in the third approach. For the sake of the  Thai people or not.

The senate will vote for Jabbah. He’s their man. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't believe that the Thais will silently allow themselves to be robbed of the election results.

Hope you're right. We'll know soon enough.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Red Forever said:

Oh yeah?

Millions of Thais voted for PT. None voted for the Military Junta.

Spot the difference?

If anything, the elections were a complete rebuke of the Pheu Thai party, which makes the current events even more sad. Hopefully next time MFP takes over 200 seats. The Military Junta was always going to have it's core fanboys.

Edited by lordgrinz

2 hours ago, neeray said:

I believe we are in "the calm before the storm" period. Pita screwed up his chances through either stupidity and/or naivety but in the process, the people's hopes were raised. They will not take this failure lying down. A storm is in the making.

As the process has carried on, I think this was just a game or an experiment to him. I think he knew the result, even if he hadn't been in possession of the shares, it would have been something else. He knew it all along. The past two weeks, traveling the country to whip up a protest if denied the opportunity. Now it's all over, what will people do? I would love to be proved wrong, but they will just roll over and accept the decision of the people calling the shots.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

you really think senate will back a PT PM ?

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Hope settha has no baggage.

Well, he's a wealthy man ... But then so was Thanathorn and (rather less) Pita.

Not too many unwealthy people in Thai politics!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, smedly said:

you really think senate will back a PT PM ?

Well, Thailand needs a functioning government, which requires a majority in parliament to pass laws. If the coalition holds together, I don't see how, for example, a Prawit or Anutin can govern with a minority in parliament.

1 hour ago, dpcjsr said:

My money is still on Prawat, lol. Long shot? maybe...

I agree with you.  Any party with a minimum number of elected members in the assembly (I think it’s 10) can nominate a person to be PM.  During the first round of voting there were 188 votes against Pita.  Add in the majority of senators and Prawit has enough votes.

Things will get ugly then.  If this happens I can see a vote of no confidence happening later this year which would probably pass.  After that I’m not sure what happens

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Dene16 said:

Your  post count indicates you have been here awhile but your thoughts imply that  you are completely new to the experience of Thai politics and culture?

Why do you believe 250 pro junta senators  will vote for a candidate from the opposition?

knowing that their man Prawit will be knocking on the door with 250 votes already in the bag when no one else is able to get the required votes.

The question is, will the remaining MP's vote for Prawit in order to get the country running again, rather than let it stagnate.

Prawit may not be in the equation yet but I'm sure he's just waiting and biding his time.

"Prawit may not be in the equation yet but I'm sure he's just waiting and biding his time."

Did you really mean to say that? 

I can think of a few comments to make about that, but will refrain for the sake of brevity!

5 minutes ago, sambum said:

Did you really mean to say that? 

I can think of a few comments to make about that, but will refrain for the sake of brevity!

Ha ha , i noticed the relevance and was going to put pun intended on the end but got distracted and hit the submit reply. I wondered if anyone would pick up on it. I should of known it wouldn't take long.

• Like 1