Thailand Hikes Entrance Fees for Foreign Visitors at Historical Attractions

webfact

The authorities behind this scam never consider the fact that a LOT of foreignrs

have lived here 10-15- 20 years and raised Thai families ( including the grand-

parents, of course ). But they still must pay the foreigner fees.

I don't tip any more. Not so sweet revenge.

1 hour ago, stix40 said:

Still cheap but I understand the sentiment.

I have heard if you show a Thai driving license that can reduce the cost ?

True or urban myth?

I typically get the local price when I show them my work permit

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Happens all over the world, but why should that come into it when whinging about Thailand has become the order of the day on here.

I'm not whinging about it, just stating a fact that I won't go anywhere that has a dual pricing system.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Happens all over the world, but why should that come into it when whinging about Thailand has become the order of the day on here.

Well Einstein, maybe because this is a forum about Thailand and not about the rest of the world? 

Edited by SoilSpoil
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

I just love it every time we enter a National Park and I am singled out in front of my family and told to pay 5 or 10 times more. Makes me feel so welcome.  

Are you not hiding deep enough in the footwell? I never pay anything.

Don't get mad,get even ! ????

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

I'm happy to pay extra and it makes perfect sense to me.  Different pricing based on criteria is not unique to Thailand.  If paying 200 baht to enter a national attraction is going to bend me out of shape and ruin my day, I'll stay home.  But, I don't give it a second thought.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, mberbae said:

The authorities behind this scam never consider the fact that a LOT of foreignrs

have lived here 10-15- 20 years and raised Thai families ( including the grand-

parents, of course ). But they still must pay the foreigner fees.

I don't tip any more. Not so sweet revenge.

You're punishing the wrong people 

22 minutes ago, swissman53 said:

Our countries should start doing the same thing only with Thai People. Maybe that would be the only thing that helps.....

They do. About 1000B just to enter the US Shenandoah National Park,  about 500B average up to 1000s to enter tourist attractions in Paris.

You realize that the measly 10B - 20B that poor Thai pay does not begin to cover most attractions' operating costs. That comes out of taxes on Thai people, of which tourists pay nothing!

So why on Earth should a poor Thai person pay more, though taxes and high entrances costs, that a foreign tourist? And even full entrance fees in Thailand are much cheaper than the West.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

The Thai system is effectively racist, yes.

That is the falang single minded view. Tourists create damage in their wake so not unreasonable to keep prices up and numbers down.

A lesson learned, and not just in Thailand.

Thai authorities announced they would be temporarily closing the bay from 1 June, but have now extended the planned four-month closure to at least a year, due to the extent of the destruction caused by the thousands of day-trippers.

Thanks to pollution from litter, boats and sun cream, it is estimated that more than 80% of the coral around Maya Bay has been destroyed.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/03/thailand-bay-made-famous-by-the-beach-closed-indefinitely

A tourist from England accused of defacing the Colosseum has said he was not aware of the age of the ancient monument.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jul/05/english-tourist-accused-of-carving-name-in-colosseum-says-he-did-not-realise-its-age

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, roger101 said:

I'm not whinging about it, just stating a fact that I won't go anywhere that has a dual pricing system.

Not what you stated.

"What a way to make foreign visitors feel welcome

I struggle to understand Thailand they say they want visitors for the economy then treat them like crap"

6 minutes ago, rabas said:

They do. About 1000B just to enter the US Shenandoah National Park,  about 500B average up to 1000s to enter tourist attractions in Paris.

You realize that the measly 10B - 20B that poor Thai pay does not begin to cover most attractions' operating costs. That comes out of taxes on Thai people, of which tourists pay nothing!

So why on Earth should a poor Thai person pay more, though taxes and high entrances costs, that a foreign tourist? And even full entrance fees in Thailand are much cheaper than the West.

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1