Traffic safety: Ten main traffic laws enforced over long public holiday

snoop1130

I haven't seen anything on the roads yet that shows they are checking..Only yesterday there was a policeman at a roundabout and it was quit a mess but he only was watching and doing nothing to let the traffic go smoothly...

44 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

I haven't seen anything on the roads yet that shows they are checking..Only yesterday there was a policeman at a roundabout and it was quit a mess but he only was watching and doing nothing to let the traffic go smoothly...

Kameras Comrad !

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

they could make a big difference in safety here in Thailand, which would attract way more "quality tourist". 

Ask someone from your country how many fatalities each year in Thailand and they won't have a clue! Road accidents don't keep tourists away!

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

Thailand has the same percentage of police officers per 100,000 people as the USA, yet for some reason we never see them enforcing any rules/laws, unless in one of these publicity stunts. If they were out patrolling the roads daily and enforcing the existing laws (again Thai laws/rules almost exactly the same as other countries) they could make a big difference in safety here in Thailand, which would attract way more "quality tourist". 

I don't think that is correct in application sense. 

I once sat with the Vice Mayor of Pattaya and he explain how the country is funded.

Although they get more money than other provinces being in the EEC,  they are funded by register resident doing so isn't as easy as one thinks. Just because one see all the hotels and tourist in doesn't mean Pattaya gets all the taxes. 

Then 8-10 years ago at this situation down he noted there is official like 350-400 official on payroll, that included police, fire, immigration, government doctors, nurses, teachers  one would think no way City Hall had more than that number. Immigtation for example you see a handful that wears the official uniform everyone else is on contract which are the majority.

Reason Bangkok with the largest register residents have so much more. Then the function of the police isn't what it is compare to the West the reason we wonder where is everyone.

If true the comparison not everyone is equal and doing what they are suppose to be doing.  In Pattaya Darkside I see a number of police riding around on one bike with another all they do is go around and collect their protection money,  you see them at markets directing traffic.   

Edited by thailand49

10 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

Thailand has the same percentage of police officers per 100,000 people as the USA, yet for some reason we never see them enforcing any rules/laws, unless in one of these publicity stunts. If they were out patrolling the roads daily and enforcing the existing laws (again Thai laws/rules almost exactly the same as other countries) they could make a big difference in safety here in Thailand, which would attract way more "quality tourist". 

And if they got equivalent pay they might just work a little more... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 2baht said:

Ask someone from your country how many fatalities each year in Thailand and they won't have a clue! Road accidents don't keep tourists away!

But some of them dont go home, but the news does.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Venom said:

Maybe you should go home then. ????

Bit of venom in that comment!! Did someone steal your toys?

2 hours ago, Venom said:

Maybe you should go home then. ????

Edited by leither69
Correction
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, pattjock said:

Must be good to be a traffic police in Thailand, they only work for a week every 3-4 months.

Wrong, I thought they worked near the end of month to get their criteria  before payday?

Saw quite a few ummm inspection checkpoints along the way south the other day. But driving on Friday morning I saw nothing to help elevate the congestion caused by minor fender benders. No cops arriving at the scene to get them to move to the side of the road.. however, I saw in other places several just standing around on the side of the road. My normal 5 hour drive turned into an almost 10 hour drive.  Hmph.